Beta Reader Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tina (new)

Tina | 2 comments New Beta, never done this before. I'm a voracious reader, and dabbling in writing myself.

I read a large variety but faves are zombies, apocalyptic stories, some romance, YA Paranormal. My favorite author right now is Rachel Higginson and her Love and Decay series, Even though I like clean romance, I also am not opposed at all to a hot smutty scene., I disliked these two popular books: The Maze Runner and Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children..but did like Twilight and Harry Potter. Don't usually like other world, or alternate reality. I'm a 44 year old female that has two daughters, one a teen girl in high school and the other a college freshman -- we share & discuss lot of books between not only us three, but also their friends who are big readers as well -- so I feel comfortable in offering when I think someone younger may like it but I did not (as is the case with the two I named). Most men in my family are hunters and as a family we enjoy the outdoors, so that can be one hang up I can have is on outdoor details., not as strong on sentence structure, punctuation etc, but willing to notate noticeable typos if requested, or character, personality, story line inconsistencies or questions that may not be answered by the end of the book etc. No horror, vampires, or fairy's, I would say no shifter, but I did very much enjoy the Shiver series. Not sure if I am doing this right, but TIA!

message 2: by Dakota (new)

Dakota Rayne | 199 comments Mod
Check out the posts on beta reader vs CP and beta reader checklist for some helpful information :)

message 3: by Lea (new)

Lea McKee | 36 comments I have a 68k YA dystopia if you are interested?

Here is the query, its an older version I had on my phone so apologies if it doesn't make too much sense !

All seventeen-year-old Joanna August 623 had to do was be born O-Negative, and her life was instantly forfeit. In thirty days, Joanna believes she and all the other orphans will be released from the care of the New Terra Alliance. It’s a beautiful lie. The NTA took Joanna in when she was three years old, offering protection, education, and concrete walls three feet thick to keep out the contaminated air. She should feel grateful, but she’s always longed for freedom.

When Joanna meets Ethan Knox, a young soldier, she will learn just how ugly reality is. If Knox has told the truth, thirty days from now Joanna won’t be free. She’ll be dead. Trust has never come easy for Joanna, but once she’s seen the actuality of her fabricated history with her own eyes, she cannot deny it. The NTA is going to harvest her, and all the others. Their blood will be drained, their organs stolen. Healthy blood transfusions are the only way to combat against the virus borne of nuclear fallout, and Joanna is a universal donor.

Escaping is the only option, and Knox has a plan, but it only works for two people. They’ll have to move fast, Joanna’s inquisitive nature and bold attitude has got her into trouble. And the NTA can’t afford disturbances and doubt. Her choice is simple, if she leaves now, there’s a chance they can save the others. If she stays, she may not survive the night.

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina | 2 comments Sounds intriguing, I'm not sure how to proceed.

message 5: by Lea (new)

Lea McKee | 36 comments If you want to send me your email address in a private message, I can send you the first few chapters to see if it's up your alley.

Cheers!

message 6: by Ron (new)

Ron (allthunbs) | 15 comments Hi Tina:

I have a 75K YA novel that needs a beta reader.

You state that you have two children. I'd love to hear if you would consider this useful with your children. The storyline is fiction but the research behind it is not. included is the concepts of learning. I've taken "learning how to learn" and encapsulated it in a program for young people.

Drop me a PM if it sounds interesting to you.

Grumpy

message 7: by Jay (new)

Jay Storey (jayallanstorey) | 80 comments Hi, Tina,

I'm looking for a beta reader for my thrilling 75,000 word YA/Science Fiction novel, ‘The Black Heart of the Station’.

Synopsis:

Josh Driscoll, a teenager living in a mysterious underground city known as ‘The Station’, is forced to enroll as a novice monk at Saint Carmine’s, the Station’s resident monastery, as punishment for numerous petty crimes and mischief.

At first desperate to escape, he’s gradually drawn into the monastery’s scriptures, which seem to answer questions about the Station’s origin, now lost in the mists of time. From those scriptures, Josh comes to believe that the ‘Black Heart’, a computer complex of unknown purpose buried in a part of the Station critically damaged centuries ago, is vital to their future survival.

When the governing Council, of which Josh’s own father is a member, announces plans to demolish the Black Heart to open up badly needed living space, Josh forms a movement and leads a desperate battle to stop the demolition.

You can reach me at: jastorey@shaw.ca

Thanks,
Jay

message 8: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Meredith (dennismeredith) Good morning Tina,

Would love it if you would be willing to beta read our newest novel The Neuromorphs.

Here is a link to the book where you can read a chapter and decide if it is interesting to you.
http://dennismeredith.com/the-neuromo...

The authors blog post here http://wp.me/pjyFJ-vM
explains why beta readers and reviewers are so important and that we do listen!

You can reach me at editor@glyphus.com

Thanks for your consideration,
Joni