The Newbery Award and Honor Book Club discussion

Group Discussions > Using fiction to discuss real-world problems

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 174 comments My November/December classroom theme is "Using Fiction to Discuss Real-World Problems." My text set so far includes Holes, Monster, and A Christmas Carol. I'm not 100% sure Holes is a fit, and I'm looking for some 5th-7th grade books to add to the list. Thoughts?

Here are some I'm wondering about, but have not read:
Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself
Paperboy
Bronx Masquerade
Dragonwings
One Came Home
Doll Bones
Savvy
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 174 comments OK, I took Holes off my list and added Sally J. Freedman. I'm reading When the Mountain Meets the Moon right now, and it looks like a fit.

Other ideas?

message 3: by Desiree', Teacher n Training (new)

Desiree' (sequoia01) | 299 comments Mod
Phil,

I think Holes is a good fit. Although the storyline is different from the other books on your list, I think Holes has plenty to say about misunderstandings and family feuds. I think the idea is set in a distopic adventureous style of what crime and punishment may be according to one's opinion.

I think Where the Mtn Meets the Moon and Dragonwings go hand in hand about Chinese mythology.

Starring Sally J. Freeman as Herself is more about a tweens life change and crushes. Maybe you'll like the book, but again, I don't think it fits in with the other titles.

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 174 comments Thanks, Desiree.