Support for Indie Authors discussion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winifred (new)

Winifred Morris | 57 comments Some time ago I posted some ideas for covers for this same book, but it was then titled Burglary on the Side. When I decided to change the title, I felt I needed to put the woman on the cover since she's the sometime burglar. You're welcome to comment on the title change too. Just any comments will be appreciated!

message 2: by Clint (new)

Clint Forgy (clintforgy) | 39 comments I like it. I'd pick it up!

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Hmm. If this is the same book I'm thinking of (my memory's not super reliable haha), I dig this cover more! Like a heck of a lot more!!

Nicely done!!

Hugs,
Ann

message 4: by Lynzie (new)

Lynzie Allen | 27 comments Looks good! I didn't see the original, but I like this one.

message 5: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments It looks more romantic/erotic than comedic, to my eye. I guess it depends on how important the comedy aspect is to you!

message 6: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments C.L. wrote: "It looks more romantic/erotic than comedic, to my eye. I guess it depends on how important the comedy aspect is to you!"

My feeling too.

message 7: by Winifred (new)

Winifred Morris | 57 comments Thank you for all your positive feedback. I agree that it doesn't look very comic. I also have a problem with the attractiveness of the model since the character in the book doesn't think she's attractive. Of course, some supermodels think they're ugly. Still . . . here's a wacky experiment.

So is this too goofy? Ruins the romance? Ruins the basic lines? The character is a graduate student who does wear glasses, although probably not to bed. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

message 8: by Clint (new)

Clint Forgy (clintforgy) | 39 comments Makes her hotter than a $2 handgun.

message 9: by Thomas (last edited Oct 06, 2016 10:15AM) (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments I also see the cover as more erotic/romantic than comic/romantic. It's a nice cover overall.

The glasses are a nice touch and unless a person really scrutinizes the cover (as I have a habit of doing), they're almost seamless. The glasses add to the eroticness (yep, not an actual word) of the cover though.

message 10: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Nah-uh. wouldn't the glasses have come off with the sloppy bun?think sexy librarian. A burglar would def wear contacts anyway!

message 11: by Winifred (new)

Winifred Morris | 57 comments Thanks for all your comments. Sorry, Carole, maybe she'll get contacts for the next book. Thomas, I especially appreciate your comment. I'm no expert with Photoshop, and I don't consider the glasses completely done, but I've worked and worked on them. You don't realize how complex it is to fit glasses to a face, especially one that's tilted like that, until you've tried it several times with disastrous results. Those are my glasses, by the way, so I can keep taking pictures of them until I get it right.

message 12: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments The biggest thing I noticed with the glasses is that they seem too high up on the bridge of her nose and it looks like they're a part of her face. If you can adjust that it will be even harder to tell.

message 13: by Winifred (new)

Winifred Morris | 57 comments Thanks, Thomas. I've moved them down her nose. Afraid they might still look like a part of her face unless I add a shadow, which I'm hesitant to try. Lots of potential for error there. But here's the latest: (I did a bit of kerning on the title too.)

message 14: by Dylan (last edited Oct 07, 2016 05:09PM) (new)

Dylan Callens | 193 comments In the small image, the glasses look good... I don't think that there is a need for shadow but it's hard to tell without seeing it fullsize. I'm not crazy about the weird glow around her head, though I'm guessing that's there to help mask a cut and paste. You wouldn't need it though if you ran a color filter over top of both images, to normalize the color difference between the two images.

message 15: by Winifred (last edited Oct 07, 2016 05:51PM) (new)

Winifred Morris | 57 comments I'm afraid you're over my head with your color filter idea. Wouldn't a color filter change her hair and skin tone too? Here's what I'm working with. So I used a mask to cover the straight line at the top by revealing more of the sheet underneath. I didn't want to try to cut her out as messy as her hair is, but if you have a better idea, I always love to learn new techniques. And I could certainly soften the edge of the glow, blend it in better. That's something I know how to do.

message 16: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 193 comments Yes, a filter would change the hair and skin tone, but that would look natural if the whole thing was tinted. But regardless, I like it way better without the glow. It looks far more natural.

message 17: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Shaw | 19 comments I like it, I think it should sell very well! Good luck