Christian Ladies Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Scarlet Thread > Section 2 Discussion Question #2

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
When they went to Alex's boss Steve's house. Do you think Audra his wife is purposely showing off all her accomplishments? Or do you think Sierra is looking too much into it and being too sensitive?

message 2: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
I think she is showing off. She seems so far like one of those people who will always be better than you. She got good grades and went to college and is just absolutely amazing and perfect. Eventually I think it gets to the point where it is just her personality. She isn't doing it on purpose necessarily it's just apart of who she is.

message 3: by Darlene (last edited Oct 05, 2016 10:22AM) (new)

Darlene I didn't read it that way. I think it is Sierra's insecurities. The book states Audra was perfectly charming and courteous, but Sierra "felt" an undercurrent of disdain the show of warmth and hospitality. Sierra judged this woman within minutes of meeting her. She had made up her mind who Audra was and anything Audra said was going to be interpreted by Sierra as condescending from then on. Audra tried to make conversation with her and even though they didn't seem to have a lot in common, it appears to me that Audra continued trying: telling her about events in town, offering to show her the good neighborhoods to live in, took her shopping, bought her lunch, etc. Sierra is in the wrong here.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Esparza | 119 comments At first I thought that Audra was acting as a snob and was belittling Sierra, but after a point of reading my thoughts had flipped. I'm thinking Sierra was just intimidated by Audra and therefore feeling inferior by her. I think that Audra does carry herself in a confident way (which isn't a bad thing), but nothing more then that. Just because she's proud of her accomplishments and the success that she and her husband have had means that she thinks/feels anything less of Sierra. Audra does live a certain lifestyle and has fancy things, but it's because she can afford them. Why not live it up then? There was a part where Sierra said that she would offer to pay for lunch but was certain that Audra probably wouldn't think much of being treated to Denny's. Sierra is feeling judged by Audra when really it's Sierra who is doing the judging. That's what I took from it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.