Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > Clown sightings

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments so I'm sitting at work and I get an alert from my daughter's school with the title "clown sighting on campus." Apparently some idiot decided to wander around a local school campus (thankfully not my daughter's school) in a creep clown costume triggering all of the town's school shutdown and safety protocol. So my daughter was sheltering in place because of a jerk in a clown costume.

Then I learned that it's apparently a thing -- People across the country dressing up as creepy clowns. There's even a twitter account dedicated to it: www.twitter.com/ClownSighting

They are all remarkably like the clown from It. Check out the photos. I'm pretty much die if I saw one

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8519 comments Bet you all the Massachusetts schools have been alerted by now. That would freak me too. What kind of creeps think this is amusing? Strange times!

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8519 comments My kid just told me about this. He heard clowns are showing up, ringing doorbells, and that some of them have guns. Someone in Pennsylvania just died. My kid is frightened.

message 4: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments It's all across the country. We had two school lockdowns this week because of this.

message 5: by Jen (last edited Oct 04, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Amy wrote: "My kid just told me about this. He heard clowns are showing up, ringing doorbells, and that some of them have guns. Someone in Pennsylvania just died. My kid is frightened."

It seems like most of the reports are hoaxes and several people have been arrested for false stories. It seems like the one today at my daughter's school was a hoax after police investigated. I don't think it's true that they are ringing on doorbells with guns - I think that is part of the rash of fake reports. I don't think it's funny either way. Today they all were on lockdown at her school.

I'm sorry to hear that your son is afraid and I don't blame him.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Ladyslott wrote: "It's all across the country. We had two school lockdowns this week because of this."

crazy. I just heard about it today.

message 7: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1194 comments I'm glad that Miss E is safe, Jen, but so sorry that people like that are taking the feeling of safety away from children! Or adults, for that matter.
Hopefully someone will get caught and charged, and it will stop.
Why on Earth would anyone think this is funny or a good idea?

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I actually thought it was funny when I first read the email because I didn't realize it was a real thing happening all over the place and so I didn't get why the school was sending me alerts about clowns.

message 9: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments In our town too! Some of them are dressing super creepy. Not funny.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8519 comments True conversation! Kid comes home seconds after I read and respond to the first Jen's post and says he's hearing about the clowns ringing doorbells with guns. He tells me he's scared. What should I do? I say don't answer the door. Seriously I tell him. This is not going to happen to you, because it's the most totally absurd way to die I have ever heard. Minutes later - are these people Isis? I have to admit that I laughed out loud. Minutes later when his younger and less frightened brother came home and said he already knew about the clowns, and gave a litany of information, he said he was kidding about the comment about ISIS. He was relieved to hear from this thread that much of this has been a hoax. My friend suggested I tell him to dress up like a clown and answer the door that way, and that the other clown would be freaked out. Still went to soccer practice, so it sounds like all is right with the world. He's feeling better about it, but still, this is such a crazy world that we have to worry about such things. I suppose Trump has a plan to get the clowns off the streets and keep our cities safe. I'll look forward to hearing the details.

message 11: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Amy wrote: "True conversation! Kid comes home seconds after I read and respond to the first Jen's post and says he's hearing about the clowns ringing doorbells with guns. He tells me he's scared. What should I..."

I find this post so sad, in that your son is actually afraid of Isis, it is a really frightening world our children live in these days.

message 12: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 19 comments Stupid people. I am waiting on one of them to make the mistake of getting in front of a train or a semi as that would stop these sick pedophiles, molesters, perverts, rapists, and killers from committing their heinous acts.

message 13: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1482 comments proving the point that clowns have always been and will always be scary.

message 14: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments Our local police department put a "warning" on facebook a couple days ago. It stated basically that the internet phenomena of dressing up as a a scary clown was a thing, and to be aware of it. Trying to warn those who haven't seen it about it.

We had our first arrest of a scary clown yesterday. Trespassing on school property after hours. Can't say I'm sorry for him.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8519 comments We hear all of the local children and families are frightened. We also hear the professional clowns are outraged and are changing professions. One is going back to being a scarecrow. Another, a Gorilla. Creepy clown costume sales are up by 300%. I know a lot of folks are against over regulation, but it occurs to me that in this day and age, there could be some Id involved so professional clowns could outfit themselves. I hear there is now a law against wearing a mask in public places. Second Son told me that. It's sad to me that it's coming to this. Maybe it's dying down, with all the national attention?

message 16: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments This is just so strange to me . . .I hate clowns so hope I don't encounter any. I'm with you, Nicole . . .

message 17: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Nicole wrote: "proving the point that clowns have always been and will always be scary."

Their charm certainly always eluded me.

message 18: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7000 comments I have always liked clowns, but never saw any scary ones growing up. Most of the clowns I saw were local people being funny, although we did go to the circus when we lived in California when I was in grades 4 & 5, Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey. Perhaps a small circus that came to my home area, too, but it's so long ago. I don't remember being scared of Santa Claus, either, as some small children are.

That said, when I was 3 or 4 and my dad was trying to take a picture of me next to a Danish palace guard (I remember the day, and I was wearing my lederhosen because my dad was doing a year of surgery residency in Germany, being bilingual) and it took him a long time to get me even six feet away. I was sure the guard would shoot me with his bayonet and my dad wasn't perceptive enough to figure that out and tell me that they didn't shoot little children.

message 19: by Ladyslott (last edited Oct 24, 2016 05:23PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments There was an attack on a child in this area yesterday. the close it gets to Halloween, the scary it is getting.

message 20: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7000 comments Ladyslott wrote: "There was an attack on a child in this area yesterday. the close it gets to Halloween, the scary it is getting."

From a clown? That is so morbid.

message 21: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Karin wrote: "Ladyslott wrote: "There was an attack on a child in this area yesterday. the close it gets to Halloween, the scary it is getting."

From a clown? That is so morbid."

Yes, there have been a number of clown attacks here, including a clown chasing a teenager off the subway - he chased him with a knife in his hand.

message 22: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments It has caused the schools here to shut down the Fire Department's "Beat Alley" (The Baytown Educational Action Team) program. This is a program where fire fighters go to schools dressed as clowns and teach fire safety. http://baytown.org/city-hall/departme...

message 23: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8324 comments Regina wrote: "It has caused the schools here to shut down the Fire Department's "Beat Alley" (The Baytown Educational Action Team) program. This is a program where fire fighters go to schools dressed as clowns a..."

Oh, that's sad. :-(

message 24: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Karin wrote: "Ladyslott wrote: "There was an attack on a child in this area yesterday. the close it gets to Halloween, the scary it is getting."

From a clown? That is so morbid."
Yes, there have ..."

Wow! I didn't know that they were getting more aggressive.

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8519 comments Everyone be safe on Halloween. This is meant to be a happy holiday.