Movies We've Just Watched discussion

The strong resemblance between JAMES MASON & SAM NEILL

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 65 comments I recently watched the film, "Bicentennial Man". One of the stars was Sam Neill. I noticed that he strongly resembles James Mason, not only in looks but in voice.

I did some searching and I found that at Sam Neill's Wiki page, it says: "In the late 1970s, his mentor was James Mason."

I also found that at James Mason's Wiki page, it says: "In the late 1970s, Mason became a mentor to up-and-coming actor Sam Neill."

I could not find any other reference to their relationship. However, the strong resemblance makes me wonder. Could they have been related in some way?

I wonder if there is a movie expert who could look into this for me. What person could I contact about this?

LINKS:
JAMES MASON:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_M...
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000051/
SAM NEILL:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Neill
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000554/

message 2: by Feliks (last edited Oct 04, 2016 10:32AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) I'm pretty familiar with both actors and although yes there is some resemblance I've never heard of a paternal relationship being suggested. I'd be very startled to hear that this were true.

Oddly enough, Goodreads itself has many fans of James Mason. There's even a fiction reader's group which is dedicated to his memory, and it has somewhere between 2k and 5k members.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

You can visit the IMDb forums and pose the question, (free). There's a user-forum for 'Classic Films' and it has about 70 people.

If you are really determined to obtain an answer I can name at least one professional research firm based in LA which conducts topic investigations (film history included) for Hollywood studios. You can also email a film school and maybe a professor of film studies might answer. Or the AFI, or the AMPAA, or somewhere like that. New York's 'Museum of the Moving Image'.

message 3: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 65 comments Feliks wrote: "I'm pretty familiar with both actors and although yes there is some resemblance I've never heard of a paternal relationship being suggested. I'd be very startled to hear that this were true. Oddly enough, Goodreads itself has many fans of James Mason. There's even a fiction reader's group which is dedicated to his memory, and it has somewhere between 2k and 5k members...."

Thank you, Feliks, for the prompt reply! I will try posting my message at "THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB".

I hesitate to do more because I have enough on my plate at the current time. Thank you for your suggestions.

message 4: by Feliks (last edited Oct 05, 2016 09:04PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) A pleasure. I'm a devoted fan of guys like that. Mason, whew. You never saw him giving anything less than a solid, sturdy performance. Sure, in the twilight of his career he may occasionally have appeared in a lame movie...but he himself was never less than good. An actor's actor.

The childish-minded audiences of today make me puke. They attend slapdash kiddie superhero flicks and think they're watching movies. They're not. They swallow anything and therefore the studios just keep on giving us what they want.

To my way of thinking, if you can't show me a flick with a man of Mason's caliber, then don't even bother. Why would I watch a flick 'starring' someone ...no better than a car-wash attendant from down the block from where I work? Adam Sandler for instance. Some schmuck like that, has exactly what insights to give me about life?

I knew a movie critic once who cried when he heard news of Mason's demise.

message 5: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 65 comments Feliks, I too have favorite performers. For example, I've never forgotten Betty Hutton who gave her ALL in every one of her performances.

I didn't like seeing Mason in Lolita. I'd prefer to see him in more likable roles.

One of my favorites was Gene Wilder, who died recently. He was such a sweet man. I enjoyed his books too.

Ingrid Bergman also stands out as one of my favorites!

I liked Cary Grant until I read his ex-wife, Dyan Cannon's book.

message 6: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Betty Hutton was a blonde bombshell. Multi-talented performer. Dancer, singer, actress, comedienne. She could probably steeplechase and sabre-fence too. That's the way the studios did it--whatever skill you needed, (if you didn't already have it) they trained you in.

She was the star who vanished mysteriously, as I recall. Just abruptly disappeared. I forget if they ever found her?

message 7: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 65 comments Feliks, I wouldn't say that Betty Hutton vanished but she did leave show business for a while. You can read about her life at Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_H...

For a while she was a cook in a Catholic rectory in Portsmouth, Rhode Island. She died at 86, from colon cancer complications.

message 8: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10555 comments i would tend to think they are not related ...

for one, sam neill's name is: Nigel John Dermot Neill DCNZM OBE, born in ireland, raised in new zealand.

james mason was born in england.

but that doesn't prove anything. who knows? i've never considered their similarities until you mentioned it. i don't think neill is as accomplished an actor as mason. they have both been in numerous films, i just don't think neill is on the same par as mason.

message 9: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 65 comments Phillip wrote: "i would tend to think they are not related ...
for one, sam neill's name is: Nigel John Dermot Neill DCNZM OBE, born in ireland, raised in new zealand.
james mason was born in england. but that doesn't prove anything. who knows? ..."

Thanks for your reply, Philip.

Don't forget, it was years before the public knew that Loretta Young had Clark Gable's baby!
=========================================
BELOW IS FROM WIKI:
In a biography of Loretta Young, she "stated that Judy was her biological child and the product of Young having had a brief affair with Gable."

"The child was raised as "Judy Lewis", taking the last name of Young's second husband, producer Tom Lewis."

========================================

message 10: by Feliks (last edited Oct 05, 2016 05:30PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Phillip wrote: "i just don't think neill is on the same par as mason...."

Fair enough. But it is also well to recall that Neill's career took place in the post-studio era. That is, when films like 'Damien: Omen III' were taking over. He wasn't given the diverse opportunities that Mason enjoyed.

I agree with you that Mason was a special talent and gifted with all sorts of qualities. But he was also a man of his time; something that Neill can't overcome no matter how good he is in our time. He is very skilled for our own era, though.

message 11: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 65 comments Feliks wrote: "... But it is also well to recall that Neill's career took place in the post-studio era. ... He wasn't given the diverse opportunities that Mason enjoyed. ..."

Timing is everything.

“Observe due measure, for right timing is in all things the most important factor.” ---Hesiod (Greek poet)

message 12: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 65 comments Yes, he was excellent.

message 13: by Steven (last edited Jan 15, 2018 05:43PM) (new)

Steven Bryce | 1 comments Joy H. wrote: "I recently watched the film, "Bicentennial Man". One of the stars was Sam Neill. I noticed that he strongly resembles James Mason, not only in looks but in voice..."

I too did some searching and I found ...

Sam Neill says - "When I was growing up, there was always wine in the house, but it wasn't until I was 29 that I actually had a glass that made me realise that wine is fascinating and splendid and multilayered, and something akin to poetry. It was in Switzerland, and I was staying with (actor) James Mason and his wife. James brought a bottle of burgundy to a restaurant. It was a bit of a revelation to me. When I went back to London, I started following burgundy - starting with white burgundy, then that morphed into an interest in reds, which, of course, are made of pinot noir."

message 14: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 65 comments Thanks, Steven.