Romance Writers & Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > What's the Right Pricing of a Book?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Locker | 183 comments I came across this article today about the pricing of e-books and thought it made some interesting points. I find that I tend to agree with the reasoning that I will purchase books at certain price points, and the part about people buying 99c books but not being in a hurry to read them also may have rang with some truth for me a little bit.

What do you guys think? At this point with so many good books available at price points under $5, what would it take for you to spend $9-10+ on a book?

(The last time I spent that much on an ebook was the final installment of Sylvia Day's Crossfire series, which left me sadly underwhelmed, but the other books in that series were so good that I was expecting the same level of awesomeness and had much anticipated that final book.)

http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/whats-th...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Interesting. I read the article and makes sense. That means I overpriced some of my books. LOL

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 131 comments Very informative article, Nicole. Thank you for posting!

message 4: by Annie, The Mistress (last edited Oct 04, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 2365 comments Mod
Oooh, thanks for the article, Miss Nicole!!

Hmm. For traditionally published books, I just buy whatever the heck I wanna read. Honestly, I never even look at the cost. Amazon's 1-click function has ruined me for life hahaha *sobs*

There are many big-name indies who fall under the same "pay whatever" category as trad pubbed authors in my eyes, so they don't count. When it comes down to unknown indies, though, I'm kinda sorta weird...

I probably wouldn't spend over $3.99 unless the cover, blurb, and look inside (yeah, you heard me right tee hee) are crazy awesome. Like outta this world amazeballs.

With that said, I've also randomly bought books waaay outside of my preferred genres. Mainly SF and children's books. One time, I even bought an audio book for $17. Will I ever read (EDIT: listen to) it? Nope. So why did I buy the silly thing? Cuz I'm a complete suck for positive people. And the dude was all sorts of positive. Yeah, he got my support *shrugs*

When it comes to the indie game, I truly believe readers are loyal to authors, not books. I've found that many readers will support authors they simply like as people. Of course, I could totally be talking outta my butt here...

Lah dee dah.

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Interesting article!

For me I will pay whatever for a book from an author that I love. I prefer paperbacks so I usually pay $15-$20 for those when the new books from my favourite authors come out. I did pay $30 for one earlier this year because the normal cheaper stores where I buy my books weren't stocking it but a more expensive book store was so I paid the more expensive price because I really wanted the book!

If it comes to trying out a new author then I would probably prefer to spend around $5 or less if I'm buying an ebook, but on the other hand if I'm starting reading a new author and I want their paperbacks, which is what I usually buy, then I will spend the $15-$20 to get it. Covers and reviews don't influence me, if just has to have a great blurb that intrigues me. I also never use the look inside feature because that never shows the end of the book and its really how the book ends that determines if I continue reading a certain author!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) I love paperbacks! I love going to the actual bookstore and picking out books, and generally pay between 5-8 dollars for those. I rarely order paperbacks online. For ebooks, on an author I've never read, I don't usually pay more than 3.99. (That includes traditional and indie authors.)

For authors I really love, I will fork out the money because I just love them:)

message 7: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Amanda wrote: "I love paperbacks! I love going to the actual bookstore and picking out books, and generally pay between 5-8 dollars for those. I rarely order paperbacks online. For ebooks, on an author I've never..."

I was totally thinking the other day that when your two books that you sent me come back out that I will have to buy actual paperbacks of your books!

And I'm waiting for Mistress Ann to bring out paperbacks of her book!

There is only one actual book store near where I live, Target and K-Mart and places sell some but they don't have a very large selection, so I buy almost all my books online. I totally wish there was an awesome book store close by, because it is awesome wandering the isles looking at all the books, plus I get to check out the endings before I buy!!

message 8: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 2365 comments Mod
Jane wrote: "And I'm waiting for Mistress Ann to bring out paperbacks of her book!"

Ehhh, I'll get to that. Right after I actually format book two. Which was supposed to be done on Friday...

*keeps on riding the struggle bus this week*

Tee hee.

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Annie wrote: "Jane wrote: "And I'm waiting for Mistress Ann to bring out paperbacks of her book!"

Ehhh, I'll get to that. Right after I actually format book two. Which was supposed to be done on Friday...

*kee..."

It's been such a busy week for you! I'm going to go text you a hug right now!

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Locker | 183 comments I definitely check the Look Inside feature. I just can't bring myself to read a book that has the entire text centered. I even have a hard time when the paragraphs aren't justified alignment. I know this is probably just one of my quirks, but it's true.

So if I look inside and see the paragraphs centered, I don't care if it's free, I won't purchase it.

It's been a long time since I've bought a paperback book, but I would be more inclined to pay in the 10 dollar range or maybe as high as 15 for a physical copy of a brand new, unused book. But more than likely, I'd just pull out my phone and buy the ebook for cheaper instead.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Jane wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I love paperbacks! I love going to the actual bookstore and picking out books, and generally pay between 5-8 dollars for those. I rarely order paperbacks online. For ebooks, on an au..."

Oh, yes, I always make mine into paperbacks:) And I'm so glad you loved them that much to want them in paperback. *smiles*

I usually go to Barnes & Noble. So many books to choose from, and my husband knows I'll always walk out of there with at least three books. *chuckles* Although, I am a huge fan of Target, but you're right, Princess Jane, they do have a small selection.

message 12: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Amanda wrote: "Oh, yes, I always make mine into paperbacks:) And I'm so glad you loved them that much to want them in paperback. *smiles*

I usually go to Barnes & Noble. So many books to choose from, and my husband knows I'll always walk out of there with at least three books. *chuckles* Although, I am a huge fan of Target, but you're right, Princess Jane, they do have a small selection."

I love to make you smile!

We don't have Barnes and Noble here, when I was a kid there were like three big book chains around and all of them had stores at my favourite mall, now there's only one, and it's super expensive. So its either Target or K-Mart or online for me!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.