Sweet Baby Angles Club discussion

Our first book(s)!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andi (last edited Oct 04, 2016 10:42AM) (new)

Andi Hey y'all! Let's get this shit started!

Pretty Girls was mentioned in the original fb group post, so I would like to start with that book for this month. However, since many of you have already read/listened to it, would you all prefer to have a second option for this month's book? For instance, we can have two separate discussions this month, Book A and Book B. Next month, we would discuss Book B and a new Book C, so on and so forth. That way, if one of the options is a book you've read already or one that doesn't sound good to you, you have another option.

I'll throw up a poll to get your feedback on this - one book versus two books to choose from each month.

Also, feel free to comment below with your nominations for our October read. I'll have to play around and see if I can edit polls after they've been published as I think that would be an easy way to keep votes tallied!

Please let us know what you think, if you have suggestions, if you've run a book club before... this is my first rodeo, not sure about Mackenzie, but I'm sure we could use the help if anyone would like to offer their services ;)

thanks ladies! SS;DGM!

EDIT: Poll re: how many books we feature each month is at the bottom of the homepage!

message 2: by McCall (new)

McCall Leeman | 1 comments Hello all! I am very excited to belong to this reading group! I just finished Pretty Girls. WOW. I still need a day or so to fully process what I just read! This is the first time I have read anything so graphic. I am interested in others opinions on this crazy tale.

message 3: by Constance (new)

Constance | 4 comments Mod
Put this title on hold, hoping to get it soon!

I also put You by Kepnes and Hidden Bodies by Kepnes on hold. Those were both highly recommended on the FB group.

Besides cycling of titles, are there any other issues that have been raised for discussion?

Will we be using discussion questions? I looked for discussion guides - I found general ones (the link) and generic ones for this genre. The results are below. Please bear with me - there's a 9th question I gave up trying to copy (on my phone), but it's out there on litlovers (phrasing!) too.

http://www.litlovers.com/run-a-book-c...

GENERIC DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
Mystery / Crime / Suspense Thrillers

1. Talk about the characters—in Pretty Girls, especially, the two sisters. How were they shaped by their family history? Talk about their personalities and motivations. Are they fully developed and emotionally complex? Or are they more one-dimensional heroes and villains?

2. What do you know...and when do you know it? At what point in the book do you, the reader, begin to piece together what happened?

3. Good crime writers are skillful at hiding clues in plain sight. How well does the author hide the clues in this work?

4. Does the author use red-herrings—false clues—to purposely lead readers astray?

5. Talk about plot's twists & turns—those surprising developments that throw everything you think you've figured out into disarray. Do they enhance the story, add complexity, and build suspense? Are they plausible? Or do the twists & turns feel forced and preposterous—inserted only to extend the story.

6. Does the author ratchet up the story's suspense? Did you find yourself anxious—quickly turning pages to learn what happened? How does the author build suspense?

7. What about the ending—is it satisfying? Is it probable or believable? Does it grow out of clues previously laid out by the author (see Question 2). Or does the ending come out of the blue? Does it feel forced...tacked-on...or a cop-out? Or perhaps it's too predictable. Can you envision a better, or different, ending?

8. Are there certain passages in the book—ideas, descriptions, or dialogue—that you found interesting or revealing...or that somehow struck you? What lines, if any, made you stop and think?

message 4: by Andi (new)

Andi Constance wrote: "Put this title on hold, hoping to get it soon!

I also put You by Kepnes and Hidden Bodies by Kepnes on hold. Those were both highly recommended on the FB group.

Besides cycling of titles, are th..."

Thank you so much! That's great that there are discussion questions out there. I did have hopes to discuss the book choices each month, but wasn't quite sure where to begin with that. These are great questions. I'm going to add your suggestions to our to-read shelve for the group. Please, please let us know if you have any other ideas or recommendations for the group! We're all ears and easy like Sunday morning :)

message 5: by Constance (new)

Maybe the group could start out with one book per month? Participants would have time to read and reflect for the first 2-3 weeks of the month, and discussion could get going the last 1-2 weeks of the month?

May I suggest use of a hashtag for the book club? I'm not a social media expert, but since that plays a hearty role in the genesis of the club, it might make sense, and it makes the most sense that it come from the moderators. It would make searching the FB group a little easier, and facilitate shoutouts on the tweetster and instantgram.

These seem like fairly obvious, but also shortish, candidates:

#MFMReads (my fave)

#MFMBookClub

What do you think? Does any of it sound useful?

message 6: by Andi (new)

Andi Constance wrote: "Maybe the group could start out with one book per month? Participants would have time to read and reflect for the first 2-3 weeks of the month, and discussion could get going the last 1-2 weeks of ..."

EXTREMELY! I love these ideas. You make a very good point about starting with just one book until things pick up speed here. We can always increase options in the future as the group gets more participation.

A hashtag is an awesome idea. I like #MFMReads too - let's go with that one!

Any interest in helping us mod? You seem to have some awesome ideas :)

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen Vogel | 1 comments Thanks for starting this group! I'm excited to read with fellow murderinos. My vote is for one book per month, but if it ends up at two, like you said - each person can decide to read one or two, depending on the choices and the amount of time they have that month.

I'm ready to start reading and will head to the library today to see if Pretty Girls is available. (If it isn't, maybe I'll meet the murderino who has it) :)

-Jen

message 8: by Constance (new)

I would love to help you mod! I might even find out how to work goodreads on my phone

message 9: by Selina (new)

Selina (selina208) | 1 comments Starting Pretty Girls tonight and am already hooked! I've run a book club before, never online, but am available to help if it's needed. I like the idea of one book per month to start and comment thread while reading (no spoilers!) Thx for starting this, I love a good read as much as a good murder and when I can find both in one book, I'm one happy murderino.