I Read Comic Books discussion

BotM Discussions > October BotM Discussion - The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Vol. 1

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen I am only about 15 pages in, but I have to say first impression - I love the art style. I feel like it is very true to what this volume is trying to be, an old-timey gothic horror story. The introduction gave a little background on the artist and how he had never done anything like this before, so that was cool too.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 575 comments Mod
I really enjoyed this book! It was not at ALL what I expected from an Archie series. I felt the art was a 5/5 and the writing was about a 3.5/5, so I rated it a 4/5 overall.

Hack's art was a perfect fit for this gothic horror series and set the mood beautifully. In fact, the really horrific scenes with creatures etc. were where he really shone. I appreciated too how he used color to move the eye through a page.

I enjoyed the plot and the homages to other witch tales (like MacBeth), but I thought the writing faltered a bit with some clunky/hokey dialogue and underdeveloped characters. Harvey, for example, is just a one dimensional jock that's trying to pressure Sabrina into sleeping with him, and yet I'm suppose to be upset when he's in trouble? Sorry, no.

Overall, I like this book so much that I will likely buy a copy (I read it via the library app Hoopla), and will definitely be reading volume 2 when it comes out.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen I want to continue reading the series, I felt like where this ended was a little awkward and really left me confused! But I also did really like the art; it really contrasted with the art from Wicked + Divine which was neon/colorful and crisp.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Jen wrote: "I want to continue reading the series, I felt like where this ended was a little awkward and really left me confused! But I also did really like the art; it really contrasted with the art from Wick..."

I thought it was a weird place to end too.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Jamie wrote: "Honestly, I keep changing my mind about this book.
I thought the art was it's weakest link but also think it suited the story. Then again, a well placed spray of blood or a cheeky grin from Salem h..."

I agree about the plot being a bit juvenile in places. I think a lot of it stems from how one dimensional many of the characters are.

I've heard great things about Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1: Escape from Riverdale. Let us know what you think if/when you read it!

message 7: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 633 comments Mod
Hey everyone! To give some love to this group, we're going to be talking about this book (and this group) on the podcast on Sunday!!

I'm currently reading this book, but I'm going to save my comments for the show.

If you have any comments or questions you'd like us to talk about on the show, please comment and label as "okay to discuss." (For those of you who have already made comments, I'll be sending you a message.)

Make sure you check out the next episode (Episode #90) on November 2nd!

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments This was an interesting read. It made me remember the old TV show starring Melissa Joan Hart!

The Satanism theme was great. It felt like the creators pulled in some history to bring that to life. Other portions of the story weren't quite as strong, but it kept me interested regardless.

I thought the ending was appropriate. It gave a nice twist and set up the next portion of the story, even if it only really matters for an issue or two. I haven't read any other Archie trades, so I'm not sure if the abruptness is normal or not.