Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Online stores links not working

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Norinne (rebeccanorinne) | 46 comments I contacted you guys about this before and had been told it was taken care of, but a reader just brought it to my attention that none of the links under the "Get a Copy: Online Stores" drop down menu take you to where my books reside. Is there any way to get this fixed once and for all? Here are the links to where the books are available on Amazon, iBooks, Barnes & Noble, and Kobo.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Star-Hol...

iBooks: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id11...

Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lucky...

Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebo...

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13664 comments We cannot use information from the sites you linked to other than Amazon, and the Kindle edition that has the ASIN has a working link. The Smashwords and Nook edition links do not work, in spite of having ISBNs. This is not something we can help with.

If new editions with new ISBNs need to be added, you'll have to give us the information here.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Norinne (rebeccanorinne) | 46 comments I'm so confused. Are you basically telling me I'm screwed and no one is ever going to be able to link to those stores from my book listing within Goodreads? Why is that?

message 4: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments This is really not something the volunteer librarians can help with. You would have to contact Support.

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments A) GR policy is to list books under the first published name which in this case appears to be Rebecca Norinne Caudell.
B) if the user has book links set up for the stores you meantion then then are selecting the correct edition for the store and the store has the book for sell the links work.

If the user has the BN edition selected but is selecting the Amazon buy link it will not work since Amazon does not stock the BN edition and vice versa.

message 6: by Paula (last edited Oct 04, 2016 11:35PM) (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments The kindle edition works using the Amazon link

The BN edition you link to is not on GR so it needs adding. You will need to supply the new BNID and other publishing info I.e date and publisher.

The kobo edition you link to is not on GR so you need to supply the data to have it added

The iTunes edition you link to is not available in uk store so cannot check that one

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13664 comments Changed last name to Caudill, according to covers.

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Norinne (rebeccanorinne) | 46 comments Abcdarian wrote: "This is really not something the volunteer librarians can help with. You would have to contact Support."

Support told me this was a librarian issue. :-)

You can imagine why I'm confused.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Norinne (rebeccanorinne) | 46 comments lethe wrote: "Changed last name to Caudill, according to covers."

Thank you. I'm not sure why my name was changed to Caudell. I've also noticed that every so often my Macauley Vampire Series is listed as (MacAuley #) in the series listing which I'm not doing. Somehow last names have a way of getting changed here that I have no control over.

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Norinne (rebeccanorinne) | 46 comments Paula wrote: "The kindle edition works using the Amazon link

The BN edition you link to is not on GR so it needs adding. You will need to supply the new BNID and other publishing info I.e date and publisher.

T..."

Hi Paula, Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. Per the note from Abcdarian is that something the librarians would do, or do I need to go back to support to get this taken care of?

message 11: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13664 comments No, Abcdarian was talking about the existing links not working. If you add the info here, a librarian can add the editions for you.

Rebecca wrote: "I'm not sure why my name was changed to Caudell."

That was just a misread.

message 12: by Cai, Goodreads Expert (new)

Cai (caiqs) | 3 comments Mod
Hi Rebecca! To expand a bit on what everyone has explained/helped you out with, the links in the “Get a Copy” section of the book page aren’t direct, hardcoded links. Instead, they run a URL search on the selected store or library based on the specific ISBN (or ASIN, BNID, or other stocking number) for the edition of the book you’re currently viewing. These links are different for every member and can be customized via the Book Links tab to include their favorite or most frequented stores. Given this, we can't manually change the buy links that appear on the book page.

If a particular buy link appears on a book page, that doesn't necessarily mean that the book is available from that seller; it simply means anyone viewing the page can click to see if the book is available there. Since members can pick which booksellers they'd like to appear on every book page, they can pick and choose which seller they'd like to go through. If the book isn't available at one seller, they can just move on to the next one.

As we can’t add a specific link to your book pages, what we (and as the librarians here have so kindle pointed out as well) recommend confirming that we have the most accurate and complete ISBN information for each edition. You can do this by navigating to each of your book pages and checking the IBSN/ASIN number listed in the book details. This will ensure that your book can be easily found and purchased by readers. If an edition is missing, you can go ahead and add it by clicking on "Add a new edition" below the book's details, or post the information here (ISBN, title, publication info, etc.) so that a librarian can help you add it.

If you have any further questions please feel free to write in to support (at) goodreads (dot) com. We'd be happy to help!

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Norinne (rebeccanorinne) | 46 comments Cai wrote: "Hi Rebecca! To expand a bit on what everyone has explained/helped you out with, the links in the “Get a Copy” section of the book page aren’t direct, hardcoded links. Instead, they run a URL search..."

Thank you, this is VERY helpful.