S.H.A.R.K discussion

Petitions > PETITIONS

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 3: by QUEEN, Contact Here (new)

QUEEN | 15 comments Mod
CHEYENNE RODEO ABUSE

Were you aware that the big corporate sponsor rival of Pepsi supports an event that celebrates the abuse of wild mustangs and young cattle? If this is news to you, I request you put down that red bottle and opt for something else. I know it may not do much, but I have been clean of Coca Cola for a year and half now and ever time someone asks me why not CC, I explain to them how I came across this video and organization, and how I was informed that events like rodeos are supported. I do not blame Coca Cola, I simply would like to bring it to their attention that what they are sponsoring is at the expense of animal's pain. Please raise your voice for the cattle, horses and young live stock who suffer for entertainment.

https://www.change.org/p/coca-cola-pr...

message 4: by QUEEN, Contact Here (new)

QUEEN | 15 comments Mod
SHARK FINNING - SHUT IT DOWN

This is a petition to make shark finning as well as the possession, selling and buying of shark fins in all countries illegal. Sharks are important to the ocean ecosystem and some scientists predict that almost all shark species will be extinct within our lifetime, mostly due to shark finning. Shark finning itself is a terrible, disgusting and inhumane practice that involves cutting off a sharks fins and throwing it back in the water to suffocate to death, because the shark can no longer swim, or something else will eat the shark that is left defenseless because it cannot swim. Without sharks the next level of predators will take over and over-populate which means those predators will eat everything and they will eventually have nothing else to eat, which will kill all of the predators. Without sharks, the oceans WILL BE DESTROYED.

If you care about the oceans, the environent, or the earth please sign this petition to make shark finning illegal as well as the possesion, selling, and buying of shark fins illegal

message 5: by QUEEN, Contact Here (new)

QUEEN | 15 comments Mod
Fighting Human Trafficking (HT)

Human Trafficking is real and it is infiltrating all parts of our communities. It is often quite different than the stereotypical examples you’ve heard about for years (stereotypes like: Hispanic immigrants smuggled into the country under false pretenses and forced to work in some cantina/brothel, runaway girls from broken homes picked up off the streets and trapped into a life of prostitution, Asian girls smuggled to the U.S. and forced into the back rooms of nail salons, etc).

Brief Background

Human Trafficking impacted my family in May of 2016. We aggressively fought back, hired professional help, and (by the grace of God) found and recovered our daughter. Most people who find themselves in the same situation are not so fortunate.

What I Have Learned

Human trafficking (specifically trafficking young girls into commercial sex acts) has grown explosively in recent years particularly in Texas. There are a few key reasons.

Demand is increasing. In the past people paying for the girls had to cruise unsafe street corners, enter sleazy clubs, or rent dirty hotel rooms. The new trend is for pimps to deliver girls right to your front door. The offending buyer never has to show their face or leave their home. They simply have to give a credit card number online. The traditional methods of trafficking are just as prevalent as they ever were. The new and more sophisticated approach is harder to stop and is poised to continue fueling the explosive growth.
Traffickers have more access to our teens, and they are getting better at their grooming methods. Almost every teenager is continually connected to social media. The traffickers constantly troll those sites/applications to identify susceptible teens. They have a network of contacts patiently coercing (brainwashing) their targets. Many girls are snatched away into a dark existence right after their 18th birthday while they are still completely naive about the world, but legally they are adults.
Yesterday’s drug dealers are today’s sex traffickers. Why?
The sex traffickers (pimps) today make as much if not more money than drug traffickers.
Law enforcement is not seriously pursuing the HT criminals.
HT is difficult to prosecute even when law enforcement pursues the criminals because having the “product” in your possession is perfectly legal. If someone gets caught with kilo of cocaine they’re going to jail, and there is a high probability they will be convicted and harshly punished. If someone gets caught transporting teenage girls to their next “job”, they’re just hanging out with a few friends.
Human Traffickers receive judicial leniency. The police don't focus on pimps in the first place, but even when pimps get caught, prosecuted, and convicted they receive punishment much less severe than drug dealers.
Here is a real, relevant, and recent example that perfectly demonstrates the “Judicial Leniency” point. A 27 year-old man named Emanuel Jose Cartegena was arrested in Houston in early May of 2016. He has a long criminal record that is not worth listing. The only reason for mentioning it is to convey that he is a habitual criminal. The most relevant charges leading to his arrest in May were 1. Compelling the Prostitution of a Minor and 2. Promoting the Prostitution of a Minor. He was NOT apprehended peacefully or without incident. His surveillance, pursuit, arrest, etc. required substantial resources, effort, and expense. He received a timely trial (as is his right) in Harris county in early August of 2016. Emanuel’s trial concluded with the charge of Compelling the Prostitution of a Minor being dropped. For the charge of Promoting the Prostitution of Minor he received Deferred Adjudication. Let’s be clear what “Deferred Adjudication” means. It means that he pleaded GUILTY to the charge of Promoting the Prostitution OF A MINOR. However, as long as he completes the conditions of his deferred adjudication (which usually includes attending a counseling session, and not getting arrested for promoting prostitution again for the next 6 months), the charges will be dropped and will not be added to his criminal record. In layman’s terms the Texas judicial system said to Emanuel, “Keep your nose clean for 6 months and we’ll forget this ever happened.” It is not difficult to see why HT is becoming the crime of choice for the criminally minded.
What set of circumstances could possibly lead a prosecutor and a judge to believe that justice has been served when they drop the charges against a pimp, with a long criminal record, who admitted he was guilty of prostituting a minor? It is time to fight back!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/st...