CanadianContent discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives 2016 > Governor General Award

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments Looks like Madeleine Thien is doing a clean sweep.

message 3: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4279 comments Mod
Interesting to see how much overlap with Thien's book! It is in the top of my TBR pile!!!

message 4: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments I'm really excited about The Break. It just became available at the library so I'll start it as soon as I finish This Is Not My Life: A Memoir of Love, Prison, and Other Complications, which was on the GG long-list for non-fiction.

message 5: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 990 comments I just filled out the "suggest a purchase" form for The Break at my local library. Hopefully they will acquire it.
I am half way through Do Not Say We Have Nothing.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 941 comments It looks like I'll be buying Do Not Say We Have Nothing in ebook format next week when it's finally published south of the border. My library system doesn't even have it on order. :-(

In recent years it's seemed like the GG has had less and less overlap with the other awards, but this year all of the books on the short list have been seen on other short or long lists. (This is probably interesting only to me - ha!)

message 7: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 990 comments @Susan, have you tried the Book Depository website? It ships free worldwide and most often they have the paperback out the same time as the hardcover & it's very competitively priced compared to the ebook.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 941 comments Book Depository has had the UK edition of Do Not Say We Have Nothing available for a while but the price is about the same as the ebook will be. I kept hoping the library here would get on board, as they have another of Thien's books in their system, but no luck yet. I'll buy the ebook and it will all be good. :-)

message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2268 comments SO much overlap between Giller, GGs and Rogers Writers' Trust awards! Was it a shallow year in the publishing pool?

message 10: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2268 comments This award is announced tomorrow!

message 11: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 990 comments @Allison, so is the Booker Prize :)

message 12: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2268 comments May wrote: "@Allison, so is the Booker Prize :)"

Oh wow, I hadn't realized that! Yay!

message 13: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 990 comments I will be busy checking twitter feeds tomorrow, lol!

message 15: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 990 comments Amazing!! Fingers crossed now for the Booker.....

message 16: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2268 comments Wow! And Party Wall won the translated work!

message 17: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 56 comments Congrats to Madeleine! With everything I've read about her work, it seems to be the clear winner.

message 18: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 625 comments Did not note that today would be the day, but in a burst of synchronicity today I'm finally beginning do not say we have nothing.
congratulations MT, you deserve the accolades

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan | 941 comments Great news! Fingers crossed for the Booker announcement being the same later today.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.