Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
This topic is about This Savage Song
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > This Savage Song (Monster of Verity Book 1) By Victoria Schwab→ State Date: October 10, 2016

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista | 1604 comments Join Vicki, Katrinn, Ashlyn, and I in reading This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1) by Victoria Schwab

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Thanks for making the thread, Krista. I'm excited to read this with everyone!

Krista | 1604 comments You're welcome

Krista | 1604 comments Anyone started yet?

Ashlyn | 2085 comments I'm still waiting for my copy.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I hope you get it soon, Ashlyn.

I wasn't able to get to this one today.

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2185 comments I'm still waiting for my copy as well.

Krista | 1604 comments I'm trying to finish up a book I've been reading for a month. :(

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments LOL, Krista, which book?

Krista | 1604 comments Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5) by Sarah J. Maas It's 700 pages! With the school year going on its just hard to read and some days I just don't want to read a book I've been reading soooo long! I've listened to two audiobooks though because of it.

Ashlyn | 2085 comments I'm still working on that one too. I think I'm about six chapters in so far. I haven't had too much time this semester to read either with my classes this time.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Krista, that's pretty hefty! I have yet to read book 3. LOL

I'm going to have to go ahead and read This Savage Song because it's due back the 15th and it's the night of the 13th. I can't renew it and my library is going to be closed Oct. 31-Dec. 5...TORTURE!!!

Ashlyn | 2085 comments I just got my copy, so I can start reading it soon. Why is your library going to be closed for so long?

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments They're doing a new floor so not even the book drop will be available.

Ashlyn | 2085 comments Oh wow. Can you get them from online at all? My library uses Overdrive where I can get the Ebooks from and download it to my kindle or phone.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I can drive to a library that's about 20 miles away
But I don't want to have to!! Lol

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2185 comments @Krista, ugh I know how you feel. I've been studying for midterms for the last week or so. Haven't had time to read much else. Well, after this evening the exams will be over for a while, so hopefully I'll get some reading done.

@Vicky, wow that totally sucks. Hopefully you own a lot of books so you won't run out of books to read while the library is closed. :D

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I own far too many books! Lol But I will probably not be able to do buddy reads or at least not without extra effort. Lol

Krista | 1604 comments I just hit the 500 page mark last night. We are on fall break this next week so I'm hoping to finish this one and at least two others. Plus, you know, do all the teacher things I need to do. Like get ahead on lesson plans and downloading things on teachers pay teachers haha. I was doing a book a week plus one on the weekends. Not lately! It's a good book but I just don't have time!!! Even when reading when the kids do haha

message 20: by Vicki (last edited Oct 14, 2016 08:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Krista, I am a teacher too so I absolutely feel ya! And WHEN/HOW do teachers "get ahead on lesson plans"? LOL

I'm in denial. I am also on fall break but it was hardly a break to read! I was SO busy!! We had finals the Thursday and Friday before break and I have semester grades due on Tuesday. We're on a block schedule so theoretically we teach an entire semester from August 1-mid October. Hahahahah! Can you see that as a reality? But I do love the block. Fewer students and my schedule is lunch and prep back-to-back so I have 2 hours 10 minutes without students. :o)

What do you teach? I teach English and yearbook.

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2185 comments I feel bad when I think of all the exams you have to read and correct. :D I have never worked as a teacher, but quite many of my friends will be English teachers when we graduate (my major is English). Many of my friends took the teacher training last year and they told me lesson planning and all that can be really time consuming. I don't know, maybe you two are faster because you're more experienced. :D

Anyway, I just got my copy of This Savage Song. I'll try to finish Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver this evening and then I'll start this buddy read tomorrow.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Katriann, what do you plan to do with your major?

Lesson planning would possibly be less time consuming with my years of experience (since 1992) but every 2-3 years more and different things are added. For example, we went digital a couple years ago, they added a program called StudySync last year and made it mandatory to use this year as our "textbook," they just added Windows 10 and that's a whole different ballgame (for me anyway), we have to do an additional 12 hours on PEPPER to get a percentage increase in pay, and we spent TWO YEARS creating district-wide final exams and after using them two years threw them out & want us to come up with new common core finals, etc. Teaching takes SO MANY MORE HOURS than the regular working day that it's crazy & at times overwhelming!! I'm planning to retire in May and then MAYBE I'll read whenever I want! Lol

Good luck to you!!!

Krista | 1604 comments Vicki wrote: "Krista, I am a teacher too so I absolutely feel ya! And WHEN/HOW do teachers "get ahead on lesson plans"? LOL

I'm in denial. I am also on fall break but it was hardly a break to read! I was SO bus..."

I taught science last year, but this year I teach computer, reading, creative drama, and health. So mostly by getting ahead I'm picking out the different Achieve 3000 articles we are going to read and making vocabulary games because that's where we are really focusing this year. I feel you on reading during prep! I get 52 mins for prep and 30 min (if the kid get out of my room on time) for lunch.

I agree, I think it does become easier to plan as you get older. When I was in college we wrote all these detailed lesson plans to really think everything out....I don't do that very often anymore. Usually I only do it for the days I am evaluated because it's so time consuming and I know what I want to do well enough without them now. Plus, it never fails that we will have "teaching moments" and all those plans go out the window anyways. But I do love teaching it is ever changing all the time though so that keeps you on your toes!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Krista, that's a lot of subjects! Wow! I'm in my 25th year but started late. I'm going to be 67 in January and just feel like it's time. I've had my ups & downs but I love my students, been frustrated by them, cried WITH them but never once because of them, and I will miss teaching in many ways. But I know that my days are numbered just due to my age. Hoping I live to be 101 but not likely. Lol So it's time to focus on & spend more time with my 19 grandkids & 5 kids & all the rest of the family. You know how much time teaching actually takes! It'll be bitter sweet but I'm going to LOVE having more reading time and be able to travel more. I'd love to travel some with my girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters, just the girls trips. My husband only gets 3 weeks a year so he won't be able to travel with me as much as I'll want to go but I don't like traveling alone. Lol

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2185 comments Wow, you sure have many grandkids Vicki! I'm actually not sure what I will do with my major. At my university, if we don't want to become teachers or translators, we can specialize in historical English, literature or discourse studies. I specialize in literature. I could become a researcher, but I'm not sure I want to do that. I've been thinking about trying to get an internship at some publishing company. Guess I'll see if I can make that happen. :)

Anyway, I have now read verse 1 of this book and here are some of my thoughts:

So far I like the story. (view spoiler)

I feel a little bad (view spoiler)

I wonder if (view spoiler)

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) Ooh, this book was sharp. Hope you like it!

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2185 comments Thanks Grace Meredith. :) I hope so too.

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2185 comments VERSE 2

There's something I don't undestand... (view spoiler)

I'm starting to dislike (view spoiler)

I like both (view spoiler)

message 29: by Katriann (last edited Oct 20, 2016 03:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2185 comments VERSE 3

It's starting to annoy me (view spoiler)

I wonder if the (view spoiler)

I'm still quite convinced (view spoiler)

Krista | 1604 comments Vicki wrote: "Krista, that's a lot of subjects! Wow! I'm in my 25th year but started late. I'm going to be 67 in January and just feel like it's time. I've had my ups & downs but I love my students, been frustra..."

I totally understand that! It takes a lot of time and you should spend it with your family :) I love to travel too but I don't get to much because of not wanting to travel alone and to some extent money haha. !

Yay Katriann you started. I"m hoping to start tomorrow.

message 31: by Katriann (last edited Oct 22, 2016 09:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2185 comments FINISHED

I'm not sure (view spoiler)

It was sad (view spoiler)

I think (view spoiler)

Krista | 1604 comments I'm finally ready to start this book. Sorry guys it took forever to finish my last one and I've been in a reading slump ever since! I hope to post tonight or tomorrow verse I :)

Ashlyn | 2085 comments I'm still working on verse 1 too. I think I'm on chapter 9.

Krista | 1604 comments Prelude

Kate (view spoiler)

August (view spoiler)

I got this far and a couple of chapters. I haven't had the time to read the way I normally do. I've been fighting some kind of sickness and just go home and sleep after work ( or watch TV) haha

Ashlyn | 2085 comments Katriann wrote: "FINISHED

I'm not sure [spoilers removed]

It was sad [spoilers removed]

I think [spoilers removed]"

I completely agree with you about the ending.

Krista | 1604 comments Verse 1

My thoughts so far... (view spoiler)

Krista | 1604 comments Katriann wrote: "FINISHED

I'm not sure [spoilers removed]

It was sad [spoilers removed]

I think [spoilers removed]"

I agree with you on the ending as well. I will probably read the next book because I found the world so interesting and different than what I've read lately.