Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > Group Read - The Trespasser Chaps 7-12 Spoilers Welcome

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Oct 03, 2016 11:13PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14618 comments This topic is for discussion of chapters 7-12 of Tana French's The Trespasser. SPOILERS WELCOME on this topic.
If the first to post could please provide a short summary to guide the discussion it is appreciated!

message 2: by Ann (last edited Oct 15, 2016 04:09PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14618 comments Chapter 7
Conway and Moran strike off on their own looking to either prove Rory's innocence or make a case against him. Steve is leaning towards a gang connection. Antoinette is skeptical but acknowledges Breslin is up to something, They scour Aislinn's house for missed clues of a secret boyfriend and cavassing bars find a witness who saw her with a middle aged man.
Antoinette opens up to Steve about her own missing father and her young childhood fantasies about him. This case hits her hard in her gut and makes her angry all over again-- she gets Aislinn, and then wham; remembers where she knows her - from when she worked Missing Persons. Aislinn came in and Conway, dismissively fobs her off on another Detective who worked there longer.,

message 3: by Ann (last edited Oct 15, 2016 04:37PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14618 comments Chapter 8
New evidence from th e autopsy. The ME Cooper likes Conway and shares that there was a secondary injury, Aislinn struck her head twice on the hearth. Either a strong bodybuilder type struck very hard or a weaker person hit her again while down. Chilling.
A messenger brings Conway a box of missing persons case files for Aislinn's dad. They try to keep the box low key, McCann tried to intercept it and Breslin forces them to reveal the contents. Antoinette's contact tells her to only talk to him about it.

message 4: by Ann (last edited Oct 23, 2016 10:08PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14618 comments Chapter 9
Lots going on; they talk to Gary in Missing Persons and learn Des Murray is dead after 'taking a runner' and abandoning his family. Breslin insists on see the box from Missing Persons and dismisses it and the gang theory. The gaffer wants an update and Fleas, Conway's one time undercover partner drops in after she was pulled over for suspicion of DUI on the way home. Someone is really messing with her. Fleas is a good friend, still undercover they are careful about communication. He'll check out the gang theory.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14618 comments Chapter 10
McCann tries to warn Conway to trust and go along with Breslin (McCann's regular partner) McCann is a mess, in trouble with his wife. He reveals which squad member is responsible for all of the hazing, Roche.
Steve discovers McCann was the Missing Persons detective on the Murray case. Mixed up from the beginning.
Steve and Conway have a major disagreement about the investigation and Conway, feeling raw and alone and persecuted decides Steve is also against her.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14618 comments Chapter 11
Estranged from Moran, Conway discusses Rory with Bresin. He reveals CCTV footage of Rory in Aislinn's neighborhood long before the date from Reilly the floater going over Conway to Bresin. She is ready to quit the force for her buddy's security firm but after buttoning down tight the case against Rory.
Breslin works a wedge in against Moran and explains why Roche is doing all of the attacks on her. Conway is wary of Breslin's motives.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14618 comments Chapter twelve is very long.
Rory is back in the station for another interview,stil no lawyer. He has theories. But Rory reveals he knows details about Aislinn's dinner preparations, he was spying on her. And he reveals another man was walking in the lane behind her house that night.
Breslin pushes for the kill in the interview but Conway lets him go. She starts to doubt Breslin's motives, but still angry at the perceived antagonism from Moran tells the gaffer she is sure Rory did it. She's just pinning down the details

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14618 comments My summaries fall way short of conveying the isolation, anger, and tired resignation that Conway is feeling. She is like someone experiencing PTSD from the lack of friendhip or support on the squad. Steve seems like aloyal partner and friend - or does he. I cant help thinking lack of sleep is a factor, and the obvious parallel to her own abandonment by her father.

message 9: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1215 comments That was an intense section with all sorts of ways to interpret how things are unfolding. I am still leery of Breslin and McCann and their motives but can see why Conway is even doubting Steve a bit. Liked the interaction with Fleas and hope to see more of him. Rory's stalking like behavior was weird but I guess I think he would be too easy of an answer for the killer.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14618 comments Sandi: agreed, Rory's stalker-like behavior was weird and creepy. He is an enigma. I did not like that he lied to the detectives.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14618 comments Fleas was a surprise, after all of Antoinette's anger and isolation she has a soft spot for this obvious friend and trusted partner.

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Ann wrote: "My summaries fall way short of conveying the isolation, anger, and tired resignation that Conway is feeling. She is like someone experiencing PTSD from the lack of friendhip or support on the squad..."

Your summaries are excellent, Ann. But you are right that there is a lot of emotion and isolation packed into the prose.

I was not on board with Antoinette when she lashed out to Moran, pushing him away. This seemed so dysfunctional to me, an automatic reaction to some inner wound, that she couldn't control, and out of proportion to what the disagreement was.

message 13: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Sandi wrote: "Rory's stalking like behavior was weird but I guess I think he would be too easy of an answer for the killer. ..."

Agreed, Sandi. I've been thinking the whole book "why are we wasting all this time on Rory (from a plot perspective) when that clearly would be too easy an answer?"

message 14: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Ann wrote: "Fleas was a surprise, after all of Antoinette's anger and isolation she has a soft spot for this obvious friend and trusted partner."

And he for her, as well. He offered to stay the night, and I wasn't clear if that was for her protection or for physical comfort, or both.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14618 comments I wasnt sure either, Carol. I was rather stunned that Antoinette away from work could be so loose; and it was revealing to realize she got along well with other co-workers outside of the murder squad.
As you mentioned her reactions seemed out of proportion, especially with Steve.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann wrote: "(Fleas).....and he for her, as well. He offered to stay the night, and I wasn't clear if that was for her protection or for physical comfort, or both.
"

message 16: by Jack (new)

Jack | 179 comments Im finding conways attitude annoying. Her decision to quit after this case has helped her focus on the case and not chase the other detectives. I agree her attack on steve was brutal but the persistent ficus on hypotheticals instead of the evidence was going a bit far.

Having said that i feel rory is too obvious amd there is still a twist to come with aislins father and the gang theory. I have no idea why they didnt look through her books more thoroughly. They just assumed it was to find her dad.

Im on steves side and hope he pulls the rug from under conway and breslin and finds the killer if ots not rory.

message 17: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1215 comments Jack wrote: "Im finding conways attitude annoying. Her decision to quit after this case has helped her focus on the case and not chase the other detectives."

I agree Conway's attitude was annoying and tends to work against her. I too liked Steve and found him more even keeled and just an all around good guy.

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14618 comments Jack and Sandy: No question Conway had a bad attitude and Steve much more likeable.
One could wonder if Tana French is making a statement about different workplace attitudes towards women or perpetuating the myth that women are more volatile under (equal) pressure. The pressure on Conway was apparently not equal.
I felt her situation on the squad led to PTSD-like reactions. Good point that her decision to take some power back and quit led to a better ability to focus on this "last case."
"Jack wrote: "Im finding conways attitude annoying. Her decision to quit after this case has helped her focus on the case and not chase the other detectives."
Sandi wrote: "I agree Conway's attitude was annoying..."

message 19: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann wrote: "Sandi: agreed, Rory's stalker-like behavior was weird and creepy. He is an enigma. I did not like that he lied to the detectives."

I thought Rory was an enigma from beginning to end. I kept expecting some big reveal to give me a toehold on his character, but that just isn't French's style. She is masterful at building layers of mystery with each character keeping secrets and playing cards close to the vest. She doesn't give readers any easy outs.

Jan

message 20: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Agreed. There are many characters in this book that fit that description, and French is a master at it.