Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

The Halloween Tree
This topic is about The Halloween Tree
The Halloween Tree, by Ray Bradbury

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I honestly had no intention of reading this book, but once it was voted as the book of the month I saw an opportunity to use it to fill in "a book about things that go bump in the night," a category that was still a bit up in the air for me.

I listened to the audio version narrated by Bronson Pinchot, and he was a great narrator! It reminded me a little of Neil Gaiman's narration of The Graveyard Book.

I'm not sure if I ever saw the animated version of this book, but I enjoyed the story. It reminded me a lot of A Christmas Carol, but for Halloween and geared more directly toward children. I think the references to the Marley doorknocker were intended to call A Christmas Carol to mind.

I really enjoyed how Bradbury introduced an educational component to the story in a way that fit so naturally that it made learning about different cultural traditions very interesting. I did have some issues with the book in terms of the plot, but I enjoyed listening to it and I finished the whole thing in one sitting (about 3 hours).

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments The Halloween Tree
The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury

GR synopsis:
A thousand pumpkin smiles look down from the Halloween Tree, and twice-times-a-thousand fresh-cut eyes glare and wink and blink as Moundshroud leads the eight trick-or-treaters—no, nine; but where is Pipkin?—on a leaf-tossed, kite-flying, gliding, broomstick-riding trip to learn the secret of All Hallow’s Eve.

“Well,” asks Moundshroud at journey’s end, “which was it? A Trick or a Treat?”

“Both!” they all agree. And so will you.

I just started reading this today for the Group Read. I'm already half way through it. It's a quick, fun, and intriguing read so far. So far, one of the best Bradbury books I've read, and I've loved everything I've read by him.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments I'm so happy we picked this book as our group read. It was amazing and wonderful and so much more than I ever expected! I think this is officially my favorite Bradbury book of all time (at least for now).

4.5/5

message 4: by Zaz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments 3.5 stars.
I read it for the BotM and I'm glad I saved it for Halloween, it was a satisfying book for this time of the year. The Halloween mood was perfectly conveyed with the costumes, Jack'o lanterns and the creepy atmosphere at some point. The historical stuff was an interesting idea but I already knew most of it, so it was mostly boring to read. I'd probably have enjoyed the book more if I had read it in my teens.