Carmilla Carmilla question

The Mother and Carmilla's Helpers
Ezra Vasquez Ezra Oct 03, 2016 08:40PM
Did he ever explain who the mother and the other people attending her were? We see from the general's story that the mother schemes with Carmilla to insert her into these families, but we don't see what becomes of her later? Were the other people in the opening caravan also vampires? Other members of the family? If not, why were they helping her? Where did the mother have to go so urgently? What happened to them after Carmilla was destroyed?

With regard to "Where did the mother have to go so urgently?", I got the clear impression that this was just the normal procedure, for all of Carmilla's retinue to disappear in order to make it harder for the hosts to toss her out (she had nowhere to go to until her mother returned, and her mother's not back yet, so...). I do wonder how far they went or if they somehow kept watch over things, but they didn't show up to try to rescue Carmilla in the end, so apparently not that far.

As for the advisability of speculating, I think it is fun to do, kind of like trying to solve a riddle using only the clues in the book, as long as you recognize that every person is free to believe their own "solution".

For the servants it is very clear by their description that they are human somehow under Carmilla's Spell, and perhaps used as food sources. This is not as clear, however, for Carmilla's "Mother". Since we already know the story of Carmilla's Family, I doubt she is a Karnstein, and her independece and mannerism makes me exlude her as a human slave. It is also important to know that in the carriege there is third "Evil Looking" woman that Laura's Maid notices. Now, that is all we know about her, and now my theory begins: In the book, it is also said that Mircalla was turned by a vampire, and was not resurrected as the resoults of suicide. I am led to believe that the Evil Looking Woman is the first vampire to spread the infection (the suicidal Patient 0). For her Mother, since she calls herself that both with the General and Laura's Father, I believe that she is forced to call herself that, like Carmilla is forced to use the anagram of the same name (Millarca, Mircalla, Carmilla). This might be, perhaps, because she is Carmilla's "Mother", in the sense that she created her. So, in short, I believe the Evil Looking Woman to be Carmilla "Grandmother in Blood", if you know what I mean, and the Mother her "Mother in Blood".

But hey, that's just a theory...
A VAMPIRE THEORY!

I like the idea that the Mother is Carmilla's vampire mother, and the other mysterious woman in the carriage is the progenitor of that line of the undead. I assumed that that the servants are people who have gone into the service of the vampires for their own sinister reasons.

I don't remember a explanation but I assumed they knew who she was and was under her influence. Vampires special power is persuasion and make humans their slaves. This must be what the servants were.

Martina (last edited Dec 23, 2016 09:12AM ) Dec 23, 2016 09:11AM   0 votes
J. Sheridan Le FanuI utterly agree. Sometimes, especially when it comes to gothic fiction and short stories, it's better to leave some things unspoken, unexplained. This is pretty much what happens with "The Turn of The Screw", isn't it?
Part of the suspense and terror the reader should feel in order to truly embrace the gothic narrative spirit would be shattered by the smallest explanation.
Plus, you should remember that we're discussing about a book, that is to say that only the author could have answered and yet he chose not to. Therefore we should take the whole narrative as it is, because any speculations would, in my opinion, deviate our critical thoughts from the path the author gave us just to follow some artificial shadows.

deleted member Dec 02, 2016 06:44AM   0 votes
I agree with V. You can see how Laura was mersmerized under the spell of Carmilla, although not completely, one part of her found Carmilla disgusting. Maybe her early fear made this come to light, maybe deep inside of her knew about Carmilla's evil (maybe not what she was, but that she was evil). The author never explains the mother and the servants background and character traits, but I think that they knew that Carmilla is a vampire and helped her. Maybe they were paid to for this too. The mother... we don't know if this woman was indeed her mother. I love the mystery that surrounds this book, it's very haunting and beautiful. Dreamy and transcedent.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Carmilla (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

J. Sheridan Le Fanu (other topics)