FABClub (Female Authors Book Club) discussion

Book Nominations > WOMEN IN TRANSLATION 2017 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 1256 comments Mod
We seem to have reached consensus that we should dedicate 2017 to Women in Translation - so let's start gathering some nominations! I want to refer everyone to this conversation, https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... , where lots of great suggestions have been made. Now it's time to decide which of these, or any others, should be nominated for the group to read for 2017. So any book, originally authored by a woman in any language other than English, and translated into English, would be eligible for nomination. Any questions?

message 2: by Amanda (last edited Oct 11, 2016 04:58AM) (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) I'm not sure if you are just asking for a few nominations for Jan or for the year as a whole. I have endless books by women in translation that I want to read but here is list that I hope to read sooner rather than later:

Three Strong Women
Iza's Ballad
The Lover
The Hour of the Star
Near to the Wild Heart
The Appointment
Compartment No. 6
The Big Green Tent
Memories: From Moscow to the Black Sea
A True Novel
When the Doves Disappeared
Bonjour tristesse

Obviously I'm not suggesting these all go in a Jan poll. Just some ideas for the year.

message 3: by Sam (last edited Oct 09, 2016 08:59AM) (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) Sylvie Germain is an excellent french novellist. I loved The Book of Nights and highly recommend it.
Also, Ella Maillart's travel memoirs come to mind.

message 4: by Alexa (new)

Well, in the past, we've let the poll response determine how many books we choose. Sometimes there's just one clear winner, and sometimes there are several. So we can be relaxed about it, and see what seems obvious from the poll, or we could be more disciplined and have one poll for each month. Any thoughts? Some people really seem to enjoy having nominations and polls every month, and some people seem to feel they're more special if they come more infrequently.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) I like choosing 2 or 3 months at a time because I like to plan my reads ahead.

message 6: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) With women in translation some of the books may be harder to acquire - so its good to have some notice.

message 7: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) One I have been meaning to read soon is A Woman in Berlin: Eight Weeks in the Conquered City: A Diary . I also second Iza's Ballad.

message 8: by Viv (new)

Viv JM | 97 comments Like Amanda, I like to have notice in advance to give me chance to order the books in from the library or buy them. I am struggling with nominations since my "women in translation" shelf numbers 70 - 8 of which I have read, the rest are TBR!!

Maybe it would be best to limit each person's nominations to, say, 3 if we are doing a quarter at a time, otherwise we might end up with too much choice and no clear winner?

BTW, Amanda - a couple of your choices seem to be male authors! (The Wizard of the Crow & The Detour)

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) Thanks Viv - fixed

I like idea of each of us nominating 2 or 3 choices per quarter. That way we have variety and a good chance of clear winners in the polls.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) One that might be really fun to do as a 2-3 month side project is
The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu. Its purported to be the first novel and at 1200+ pages would make a nice long adventure :)

message 11: by Alexa (new)

Oh I loooove that idea! I've been wanting to read that forever!

message 12: by Alexa (new)

So, why don't we set up nominations so that each member is allowed to make up to three nominations, and our goal is to pick three books from the poll. So we'll be aiming to have a total of four rounds of nominations and polls over the course of the year.

So let the nominations begin! Three books each, written by a woman, and then translated into English. Pare down those reading lists folks, and let's see what we get!

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I really like the idea of focusing on translated books next year!
I'd like to nominate:
Visitation by Jenny Erpenbeck
The Door by Magda Szabó
Sphinx by Anne Garréta

message 16: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) There are some already great choices here.

I'll add. The Vagabond - classic, French
A Woman in Berlin: Eight Weeks in the Conquered City: A Diary - WWII true anonymous
and The Slynx by Leo Tolstoy's great grand niece.

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) Going to be impossible to pick one. I want to read every book listed :-)

message 18: by Viv (new)

Viv JM | 97 comments Me too! There are such great nominations here - I think this will be the trickiest poll in the history of polls.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) I could take a whole year and read nothing but women in translation and be a happy reader :-)

message 21: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) Sam wrote: "My official nominations:
1. The Book of Nights by Sylvie Germain
2. The Architect's Apprentice by Elif Shafak
3. [book:Forbidden Journe..."

Wow, the Architect's Apprentice looks good. This is not helping me cut down on my to be read shelf!

message 22: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) Amanda wrote: "I could take a whole year and read nothing but women in translation and be a happy reader :-)"

:)

message 23: by Alexa (new)

There's so much wonderfulness here! Let's leave nominations open for another 24 hours and then the poll will go up!

message 24: by Alexa (new)

Hmmm, looking at the way the poll is going, we may end up getting four books out of this round of nominations/polling. Everyone, do go take a look , and feel free to change your vote if you want to. :)

message 25: by Alexa (new)

Well, it looks like we got four winners this time around:
The Door
Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster
Three Strong Women and
Human Acts
We've got some great reading lined up!

Two of these are easily accessible for me and two are not. Would anyone else like to check accessibility before we decide which order we should read them in? Anybody have any strong preferences as to which month we read which in?

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) Human Acts isn't published in the US until Jan. I ordered a paperback from England for about 8 bucks. My personal choice for order would be:

Jan - The Door
Feb - Human Acts
Mar- Voices from Chernobyl
Apr - Three Strong Women

message 27: by Alexa (new)

Given that Human Acts isn't available in the US yet, I would be tempted to put it last. Perhaps that way it will be easier to find and more libraries will have it? Is there an easy place to find out things like publication dates and availability in different countries? It's annoying that the book's Goodreads page doesn't tell us that (or at least I don't know how to find it).

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) I usually look on amazon but in the Goodreads app if you go to the different editions it tells you the pub date. I'm sure you can do it from the web page too I'm just almost always on the app. My order was strictly for personal scheduling reasons if you think it makes sense to put Human Acts last that's cool.

message 29: by Alexa (new)

Yeah, I can see there's a new edition being published in Jan., the trick is in knowing that that's the one and only US edition. But there's currently a giveaway for it, so everyone go enter!

message 30: by Paul (new)

Paul (pklipp) | 4 comments Happy January everyone! So, what are we reading this month?

message 31: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) I haven't been able to get in touch with Alexa but Viv and I are planning on reading Human Acts by Han Kang in Feb. I'll put up some threads and see if we can get this going.