Play Book Tag discussion

October 2016: Historical Fiction > The Girls - Emma Cline - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (last edited Oct 03, 2016 06:06PM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments The Girls. I received an Advance Reader's Edition of this book. I also read it for my f2f bookclub October read. It's okay. I felt it was just okay. Emma Cline is the author, a young twenty something woman from California. She is writing about 1969. A time when I was a junior in high school. It just didn't feel like 1969 to me. Maybe the difference is California verses the Midwest. This is a work of fiction but it is obvious that the author used the framework of the Manson family/murders to write the story. I think the point of the story is to show how a young adolescent can be influenced by a young adult woman. It really isn't about the man but about how the protagonist was attracted to the another woman and that attraction almost led her into a life of living with a group that used drugs/sex, ate out of dumpsters, violated the rights of others and eventually murder. It didn't feel authentic to me.

message 2: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I wasn't alive in the 60s but it didn't seem authentic to me for some other reason.

message 3: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Interesting. I was a Sophomore in HS in 1969. I'm also from the Midwest and found it accurate for the time. The Woodstock 60's was something experienced on television not in real life. I understood it about as much as Evie.

I had a fairly normal family life so that's nothing that I experienced but felt that Cline captured beautifully what it would have been like to be a confused young girl in a broken family. A family where the parents were more focused on rebuilding their social/love life than helping their young daughter cope with her life.

Loved her writing, too.

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments Denizen wrote: "Interesting. I was a Sophomore in HS in 1969. I'm also from the Midwest and found it accurate for the time. The Woodstock 60's was something experienced on television not in real life. I understood..."

I'm in your camp, Denizen, but I do understand why this book didn't work for everyone. I did come from a broken home, and I think the portrayal is very good, and it sounds like you could empathize. But, I do see how not everyone would. Especially if you didn't care for the distinctive writing style. I also liked it.