Horror Aficionados discussion

Haïta the Shepherd
This topic is about Haïta the Shepherd
Authors > Ambrose Bierce

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10828 comments Mod
Hello! I absolutely love Ambrose Bierce. I was listening to a podcast and they talked about him, HP Lovecraft and Robert W. Chambers mentioning a god named Hastur in their stories. what is this you say?! i looked it up and found this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastur

but let's all take a minute to sing our many praises for Mr. Bierce. <3 <3

message 2: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 21 comments Sorry I'm not singing his praises, but I'd love to know what are some of your, and other fans', favorite Ambrose Bierce stories? I've only read a few and I'm wondering which ones I should try next. I'd appreciate any input.

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments While I did compare him to another author I feel since your such a fan of his I'm going to do a sole feature and analysis on Bierce this month for Hundred Year Old Horror just for you Latasha. (:

message 4: by Latasha (new)

Oh! Thank you so much Justin! That is so awesome of you. In high school we read an occurrence at owl creek bridge so I think that might be the story most people are exposed to first. The death of happiness frayser is one of my favorites because of the dream sequence but really any story from can such things be (public domain) is a great place to start. The toe story is great, an inhabitant of carcosa.. I'd pick that book and just pick one. Then you can sing your praises with me lol. And thanks again Justin, your awesome!

message 5: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 21 comments Awesome, thank you, Latasha! I just downloaded it. I can't remember which ones I've read besides An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and The Damned Thing. Looking forward to starting this.

Justin, I'll be interested to see what you find.

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments My piece on him is up in the Hundred Year Old Horror thread.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I plan on reading An Occurrence on Owl Creek Bridge by him as well as some others. I watched the Twilight Zone episode of An Occurrence On Owl Creek Bridge and thought it was great.

message 8: by Latasha (new)

That was my first exposure to him. We read it in high school and watched that episode as well.

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Latasha, would you be interested in doing a joint piece such as an article/blog post on Bierce? I'd like to get more classic authors on my blog and I know you love Bierce.

message 10: by Latasha (new)

Justin thank you! That is such a honor. I'd like to but I don't know what all that entails. I don't blog or anything. You can pm me or tell me here what all I'd have to do.