Victorian-style Dickens Readalong - Bleak House #dickensalong discussion

OMF Chapter by Chapter > Book 2, Chapters 1-3 (October)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Lumsden (katie-booksandthings) | 113 comments Mod
And October is upon us...

message 2: by Jamie (last edited Oct 07, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Jamie Firstly I'd like to thank Book 2, Chapter 3 for introducing me to the word "rarullarulling"... :D
But, seriously, these first three chapters of book 2 where so great!
Bradley Headstone is such an interesting character psychologically. I can't wait to get more detail on him in the coming chapters.
Jenny Wren is already becoming one of my favorite characters. I love her tenacity in the face of all the hardship she's dealt with.
And what about "A Piece of Work"?! The society chapters aren't usually my favorite but this one was hilarious. (Especially Twemlow with his eggy hair)

message 3: by George (new)

George (georgejazz) Three fairly entertaining chapters. We gain more detail on Bradley Headstone and Charley Hexam. Learn more about the characters of Jenny Wren and Lizzy Hexam and then for comic relief, we have a chapter on the Veneering's political aspirations.

message 4: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (sommertiara) | 10 comments Jenny Wren <33

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie Lumsden (katie-booksandthings) | 113 comments Mod
I'm glad you guys seem to be enjoying Jenny Wren :D I am so behind but the video discussion on October's chapters should be up next week or so.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2 comments These are my favorite group of chapters so far! Jenny Wren is a delightful addition to the cast of characters, though it was both entertaining and a little heartbreaking to see this adult-like child scold her drunken father. I also think I'm finally getting the hang of the humor of the Veneering chapters - it's interesting how these chapters are a striking tonal shift from the rest of the book - while there are certainly funny/satirical moments throughout most chapters, the Veneering chapters seem to cross over into being full-on ridiculous. (Katie has also pointed out the verb tense change in these chapters as well, so I imagine that also affects how these chapters feel when read.) The egg in Twemlow's hair was particularly unexpected and hilarious.

Victorian-style Dickens Readalong - Bleak House...

unread topics | mark unread