Flights of Fantasy discussion

'Salem's Lot
This topic is about 'Salem's Lot
Archived Group Reads > October 2016 - Horror: 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Becky's birthday pick for Octoberween!

Mark spoilers with < spoiler> tags! < /spoiler >

message 2: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 27 comments

I love Salem's Lot. For me, it's one of the quintessential King stories. There's a lot of the classic King tropes here. You have the writer returning to his childhood home, you have the young kids getting involved in investigations but no one believing them, you have the small, New England town where white picket fences hide a veneer of cruelty and small town prejudice. And yet this was King's second published novel, and these were all new and fresh in his writing, not checkboxes to be ticked as familiar characteristics.

More than that, the story encapsulates when small towns implode on themselves. It's a theme King has returned to in the likes of Under The Dome, but here the implosion is more insidious as the vampire threat grows and sinks its fangs as much into the weak spirit of the town leaders as the flesh of its citizens.

It's a grim story, but for me it remains, along with The Stand, my favourite Stephen King novel. The Mist trumps both overall as my favourite work of his ever, but that's shorter at novella length.

Felina | 821 comments I'm about a quarter into this one. As usual, I love me a King story.

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Leo, I just finished reading The Mist, and I have just started reading Salems Lot (for the 2nd time, but the 1st was so long ago that this is almost a fresh read).

I just got to the point where Ben Mears recounts his childhood experiences to Susan Norton, and it totally creeped me out, and I thought to myself "I'm gonna have nightmares..."

This is without doubt one of the best and scariest vampire stories out there.

Graeme Rodaughan The disappearances have begun, the terror is creeping, creeping out of the shadows, but not yet revealed.

message 6: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Maybe I need to reread this. I think I gave it a 3. I didn't find it all that scary, from what I recall... :-s

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Colleen,

It's working on me - perhaps you're harder to scare...

Felina | 821 comments I'm finding it very scary and I don't think I've ever been creeped out by a book this much. Is there a movie? I must watch it when I'm done.

Graeme Rodaughan There are several film/tv versions.

I'm 26% in and totally creeped out.

message 10: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 27 comments The Tobe Hooper-directed miniseries is the best film version, starring David Soul. Skip the one starring Rob Lowe, nowhere near as freaky.

Felina | 821 comments Oooo. I wonder if the miniseries is streaming. When I was honking about it thought this would lends itself better to tv.

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 168 comments Of all the books I wish I could read again, but for the first time, this one would be on the top of the list.

Graeme Rodaughan I finished just now. It was everything that I hoped it would be, plus it has a surprising flaw.

My review of 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King Salem's Lot is here

Felina | 821 comments Also a 5 star for me. I felt like it had all the atmosphere of Dracula with Kings added touch. Loved it.

Felina | 821 comments Graeme Rodaughan wrote: "I finished just now. It was everything that I hoped it would be, plus it has a surprising flaw.

My review of 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King Salem's Lot is here"

What was the dues ex machina moment that pulled you out of the story?

Graeme Rodaughan (view spoiler)

message 17: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (last edited Nov 17, 2016 09:23AM) (new) - added it

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments I just started this over the weekend. Did anyone else have trouble with the prologue? Will it make more sense later? Maybe I was just sleep deprived when I was reading it, but I had a hard time comprehending it and kept falling asleep, lol. Now that I'm into the first chapter it's a lot better though, and I'm starting to get into the story. I might have to go back and re-read the prologue later.

ETA: Nevermind. I re-read it... I was sleep deprived. It made perfect sense. I just need to stop reading when I'm so tired!

message 18: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (last edited Nov 17, 2016 08:59AM) (new) - added it

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments Question about chapter 3.

(view spoiler)

That was really hard for me to read. Is this something that happens a lot? If so I might have to quit. Which would be a shame, since I'm starting to get into the book... But I can't read that stuff. I can't picture that, it's just horrible. My heart hurts and I literally feel sick to my stomach :-(