Pleasant Valley Library Online Book Group discussion

Book of the Month > October Book - I'm Thinking of Ending Things

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 300 comments Mod
This is the discussion place for our October book. I'm Thinking of Ending Things.

"In this deeply suspenseful and irresistibly unnerving debut novel, a man and his girlfriend are on their way to a secluded farm. When the two take an unexpected detour, she is left stranded in a deserted high school, wondering if there is any escape at all. What follows is a twisted unraveling that will haunt you long after the last page is turned. "

message 2: by Courtney (new)

I started this book this week and I'm thoroughly confused. I have a TON of questions, but I know the only way to get answers is by reading further. I'm also wary because I feel like I know where the book is going, but I've seen a ton of reviews that say the plot twists in this book are crazy. I'm not really very attached to the narrator so far, but I'm hoping that changes. She just seems very emotionally distant to me right now. I want to know what happens though, so I will definitely keep reading.

message 3: by Cat (new)

Cat (catlarkin) | 3 comments So I have finished this book and I am going to have to re-read it. I am still so confused about it! I am wondering if I missed something in reading it the first time.

message 4: by Courtney (new)

Cat wrote: "So I have finished this book and I am going to have to re-read it. I am still so confused about it! I am wondering if I missed something in reading it the first time."

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through and I'm pretty confused myself! I can't see how this is all going to tie together yet.

message 5: by Dizzy (new)

Dizzy (dizzy_booknerd) | 16 comments I finished it, and I THINK I get it, but can't wait for others to be done so I can see what you all think!

message 6: by Cat (new)

Cat (catlarkin) | 3 comments Dizzy wrote: "I finished it, and I THINK I get it, but can't wait for others to be done so I can see what you all think!"

So I didn't re-read it yet. But I did go and read some reviews. I was half right in my thinking. Im having my mom read it as well and patiently waiting for her to finish to find out her thoughts.

message 7: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Vincent | 51 comments This book says you will be scared, I wasn’t. I didn’t find this book creepy, I found it irritating. I didn’t feel frightened but very bored. I thought the writing blah and felt disconnected and at times confused. I get it, but there wasn’t anything I enjoyed about reading this book, couldn’t wait for it to end. Just didn’t do it for me.

message 8: by Courtney (last edited Oct 20, 2016 10:54AM) (new)

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD

I have really mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, I appreciate the cleverness of the plot. The double meaning behind "I'm thinking of ending things" was pretty cool. I think this was a really "smart" book. On the other hand, I was so bored all the way through (which might say something about me!). I wasn't attached to any of the characters, (view spoiler)

message 9: by Dizzy (new)

Dizzy (dizzy_booknerd) | 16 comments Courtney wrote: "MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD

I have really mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, I appreciate the cleverness of the plot. The double meaning behind "I'm thinking of ending things" was pretty cool..."

Courtney I completely agree. First of all... (view spoiler) I agree about not feeling connected to the characters, but I definitely was spooked throughout the book. It just had an odd feeling to it, and I can't say that I loved it or hated it, it jut was.

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Dizzy wrote: "Courtney wrote: "MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD

I have really mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, I appreciate the cleverness of the plot. The double meaning behind "I'm thinking of ending things..."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! I think
(view spoiler) It was the kind of book that made me feel uneasy, but never really scared. I totally agree with the book having an odd feeling.