Urban Fantasy discussion

Paying for ads and promoting through free sites and their effectiveness.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Pirillo (johnpirillo) | 60 comments Does anyone here divert funds to paid ads for their work and how many of you do a lot of paid promoting as a way of building your audience, and adding new read?

Do you set aside money to promote every week, month, occassionaly, and how effective do you find it?

Thanks.

John

message 2: by D.C. (last edited Oct 07, 2016 10:53PM) (new)

D.C. Farmer (dcfarmer) | 5 comments As an author, yes. We all know that just writing and publishing the book gets you nowhere these days--unless you're;
a/ known already
b/ some kind of celebrity who can utilise a tone of publicity to promote their 'life's ambition' to write a book.
For the rest of us--its all about writing the best book you can, getting it out there and believing that there's an audience who will like it. But I would say if you are going to pay--best to try targeting. FB ads are useful for this--at least you know you're advertising to people who read your genre. Freebooksie if you have something you're prepared to give away, is a useful launchpad. But as this is a reader's forum, it would be interesting to know how people discover new authors.
DCF

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 1 comments As a reader, I usually pay attention to recommendations from Amazon and Goodreads. I have friended a couple of book bloggers who share similar tastes, so I mostly check out what they read and then add to my TBR shelf. I definitely prefer reading indie authors though, and I love using Kindle Unlimited. It seems like a lot of indie authors will put their first book on KU for free if not the whole series, then charge for subsequent books. I think that's a great strategy because new readers will definitely be more inclined to try someone free. I usually avoid reading books on KU that's don't have a lot of Goodreads reviews though.

message 4: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Blakemont (blakemont) | 5 comments John wrote: "Does anyone here divert funds to paid ads for their work and how many of you do a lot of paid promoting as a way of building your audience, and adding new read?

Yes, ads can help, but the ROI is usually low, unless you are promoting a series. There are 4 websites to consider:
- Facebook
- Amazon
- Goodreads
- Google
They all have pros and cons when it comes to advertisement. I would be interested in comparing our experiences.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina Quinn (christinaquinn) | 5 comments I've paid for ads before and actually had very little turn around for them for the most part. But I know people who have had some success with buying ad space on blogs (unfortunately I was not one of them)

message 6: by Jeana (new)

Jeana Budnick | 15 comments As a reader, I can say I don't really pay attention to ads. This is likely because most of the ads I see start with something like "If you love Jim Butcher, then you'll love..."
When I'm looking for a book I'm not looking for something that's just like something else. I would much rather see something unique that isn't trying to pull me in by throwing out something else that is popular.
My way of finding new books is either by recommendations (from friends, amazon, goodreads, etc) or simply by going to a bookstore and browsing. If the summary on the back of the interests me, I'll likely read the first line of the book. If that catches my attention it goes into my "buy" pile.

Hope this helps the authors in this group :)

message 7: by C.S. (new)

C.S. S Bernhardt (goodreadscomkoddabear1) | 4 comments As an author I can say I haven't had a lot of luck with the ads. But I probably haven't put as much effort into it as I should. I love to write and I love to read so that is what I do.
As a reader I must admit I don't pay a lot of attention to ads. the first thing I look at is the cover. If it doesn't pull me in, I probably wont go much further. I then go for the amazon free books or .99 cent ones. I read the short synopsis and check out ratings and what people are saying about the book. I do not buy the book necessarily because of what people or saying or ratings. I have found some great books that other rated low and didn't like. I have found new authors this way and have gone on to by several books from them. I've also found some duds, but I can put them aside and move on. That's what is so fun about reading.

message 8: by K.R. (new)

K.R. (krwillis) | 7 comments As a reader, I pay zero attention to ads or reviews. The first thing that catches my eye is the cover, then I move to the blurb. If I am still interested, then I flip to a random page in the book and read a paragraph or two to see if I like the author's way of writing. If all three of these things get my checkmark of approval, then the book goes home with me or is transferred to my kindle regardless of price. I've found a few duds along the way, but I have also found some of my new favorite authors. That's the excitement of the hunt for me.

message 9: by C.S. (new)

C.S. S Bernhardt (goodreadscomkoddabear1) | 4 comments I'm the same way. I too have found some real duds, but I've come away with so many good authors. Many are new ones I have found on my kindle. I used to have 3 or 4 authors I enjoyed following. Now I can hardly keep up I've got so many. Love it.

message 10: by H.C. (new)

H.C. Cavall (hccavall) | 17 comments Banners are a dead end, I've found. The most effective click-through I got was through Project Wonderful and a webcomic I used to read all the time, and it was pretty paltry. There's way too many ad blockers out there now.

Free promotions, though? That's where it's at. Get a list and spam every single one of them. :D

Still, the most effective are ARCs. A month out from release, shovel them at anyone and everyone who'll promise to read them and leave an Amazon review when you go live. Not everyone will, but if you can pull down 20-40 (good) reviews, it makes a huge difference.