Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Audio Book

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Does anybody know how to turn your ebook into an audio book? I have a book I published earlier this year, and I'm thinking about creating an audiobook format for it, but I don't know how. My book is currently enrolled in KDP Select so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not...

message 2: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner So far as I'm aware, the only thing you can do is record it yourself or have someone else do it. There's free software called Audacity that allows you to record/edit audio if you want to do it yourself. You just need a mic. If you want someone else to do it, you can always post it up on acx.com. That's like going through KDP but for audiobooks. You post the details and an audition script, and then people can audition. Then you can do a royalty share with them or one time payment. Personally, I haven't had much luck with that, but I know others have.

message 3: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) I use ACX.

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 241 comments Ben pretty much nailed it. I am recording and editibg my own books right now. it is not easy, and I have a degree in public communications! If you don't have experiebce, you are probably better off going the ACX route.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I have a pretty thick accent so recording it myself is not a good idea. I'll have to check out ACX... thank you guys

message 6: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments I have used ACX.com for multiple books. It is compatible with KDP Select in that ACX is an Amazon company.

message 7: by Anthony Deeney (last edited Oct 04, 2016 01:02AM) (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments I just recently went the ACX route. It is expensive but you can get talented readers and a good quality finished product. A word of caution, you are locked into deals for 7 years! At least that is true for royalty shares.

It is early days for me, but it is clear that it will take some time for me to recover my outlay.

message 8: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments You can do a royalty share agreement with no money out of pocket or pay up front.

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Schwimley (victoriaschwimley) | 161 comments You can, but there aren't many narrators willing to do strictly royalty shares. You really have to hunt for them. Don't be deceived by the fact that they all say royalty share. It is my understanding ACX makes narrators check royalty share.

message 10: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments A smart producer will read your novel and be able to measure if it will be a money maker. Another advantage to having a royalty share agreement is that a producer with a vested interest will market the Audio edition.

All three of my novels so far are done this way and I am very happy!