2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives - Monthly Reading Plans > Veronica's October 2016 Reading Plan

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica (last edited Nov 01, 2016 08:41AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Historical Fiction/Mystery
The Seeker by S.G. Maclean - first in series (HM-CR)★★★★★
Enemies at Home by Lindsey Davis - second in series (HM-CR) ★★★
The Black Friar by S.G. Maclean - second in series (HM-CR)
The Unquiet Bones by Melvin Starr - first in series (HM-CR) ★★★
Murder as a Fine Art by David Morrell- first in series (HM-CR; CO) ★★★
✔☊Who Buries the Dead by C.S. Harris - 10th in series (GR-234) ★★★★★
Dying In the Wool - first in series (HM-BoTM)

Science Fiction/Fantasy/Urban Fantasy
✔☊Hell Divers by Nicholas Sansbury Smith - first in series ★★★★
Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal (CO)
✔☊The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams - (BoTM-SFF) ★★★★

Contemporary Crime Fiction/Suspense/Thriller
Instinct by Jeremy Robinson- second in series
Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes (BoTM-D&J)
Chasing the Dead by Tim Weaver
The Ways of the Dead by Neely Tucker ★★★★★

Maybe List:
The Fireman by Joe Hill
Aftermath by Chuck Wendig
The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry
Rain Fall by Barry Eisler

Mood Reads:
The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) - first in series ★★
Andromeda's Fall - first in series ★★
The Serpent's Daughter - third in series ★★★
Fuzzy Nation (D&J) ★★★★★
The Serpent's Daughter ★★
A Corpse at St. Andrew's Chapel ★★★
Andromeda's Fall ★★
Deadly Election ★★★
The Curse of Jacob Tracy ★★★★

message 2: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments I loved Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. Must do a reread one day! Hope you enjoy.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10510 comments Mod
Most of these are new-to-me authors. Looking forward to your reviews!

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Thanks, Tracey. I'm looking forward to it. :-)

message 5: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Most of these are new-to-me authors too, Jonetta. lol All except for Anne Perry and C.S. Harris.

message 6: by Angela (last edited Oct 03, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Angela | 749 comments Great list Veronica. Like Jonetta, most of your choices are authors I've never heard of except Anne Perry and C.S. Harris. I'll keep an eye out for your reviews.

message 7: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments I've heard good things about The Fireman, Stephanie. It will be my first book by Joe Hill, who I only recently discovered is Stephen King's son. It's a good sized book so I hope I can squeeze it in this month.

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Yep, new authors, Angela. I'll never get caught up on my existing series if I keep finding new stuff to read!

message 9: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished The Seeker and I loved it! A rare five stars from me - my review.

message 10: by Mary Beth (last edited Oct 03, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments The Seeker looks really good Veronica! I added that to my tbr. The David Raker Series I added to my list also. I would love to hear your thoughts on that one.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2440 comments Every time I see your plan my list gets bigger ;) have a great month

message 12: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Mary wrote: "The Seeker looks really good Veronica! I added that to my tbr. The David Raker Series I added to my list also. I would love to hear your thoughts on that one."

Hope you enjoy the Seeker book. It's not a time period that I usually read about but I was totally absorbed the whole time.

I hope to get to the David Raker book soon. It looks good too.

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Thanks, Kris! I'm leaning heavily towards the historical mysteries this month. :-)

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2440 comments I look forward to your thoughts on them :)

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4069 comments Mod
I've added the Seeker to my TBR. Perhaps I'll be adding some of the others as well - you are bad for my TBR! ;0)

message 16: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments LOL, I think we're all bad for each others TBR piles. I hope you like The Seeker whenever you get to it. I just got my email notification that the second book has shipped from The Book Depository so I'm excited.

message 17: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished Hell Divers and really enjoyed it. I don't even recall why I added it to my list since I've never even heard of the author and no one I know has read it. Must have been on sale or a daily deal. Four stars and my review.

message 18: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished Murder as a Fine Art. It was okay but I had hoped to like it better. My review and three stars.

message 19: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Excellent review of Hell Divers Veronica. It sounds like a really intriguing read.

message 20: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Thanks, Angela. It was a surprise find.

message 21: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished Enemies at Home and gave it three stars.

message 22: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Also finished The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) for a challenge read but it didn't really work for me so only 2 stars.

message 23: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Veronica wrote: "Finished The Seeker and I loved it! A rare five stars from me - my review."

This looks good! On the TBR list it goes....

message 24: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments I really loved it, Tracey. The second book should be arriving in my mailbox any day now.

message 25: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished The Unquiet Bones - three stars and my review.

message 26: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished Andromeda's Fall but I was easily pulled away twice to start and finish two other books while reading this one so I couldn't rate it higher than two stars. It just never really grabbed my complete interest.

message 27: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished The Serpent's Daughter and gave it three stars.

message 28: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and it was crazy fun for those who like British humor. I listened to the audiobook and Stephen Fry really captured the humor in a way that I wouldn't have done if I'd read it myself. I gave it four stars.

message 29: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Finished Fuzzy Nation which I highly enjoyed - .