The GoodBook Club discussion

Book Discussions > Small Great Things Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Penguin Random House Canada (penguinrandomhousecanada) | 94 comments Mod
Welcome to the Small Great Things discussion group. How do you feel about the way Jodi tackles the profoundly challenging yet essential concerns of prejudice, race, and justice?

message 2: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 47 comments I see that this book isn't being released until October 11th? Difficult to start the conversation if no one can get the book...

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (suekitty13) | 46 comments I can't wait to read this one. Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors. Keeping my fingers crossed for the giveaway! :)

message 4: by Icewineanne (last edited Oct 04, 2016 11:49AM) (new)

Icewineanne Wanda wrote: "I see that this book isn't being released until October 11th? Difficult to start the conversation if no one can get the book..."

Perhaps the discussion doesn't begin until next month?

message 5: by Louise (new)

Louise I really wish we would get more time between the announcement of the book and the start of the discussion. It can take time to actually find a copy, then we have to read it.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 80 comments This is a very popular author and I put the book on hold at my library as soon as I heard about it. At this time there are 115 people ahead of me so unless I win a copy, I won't be participating in this discussion. I find that by choosing newly released books, Penguin is not giving us enough time to find the book besides buying it. I very much enjoy the discussions and am sad to have missed a few.

message 7: by Louise (new)

Louise That is probably the point of this group, to get us to buy the new releases. I still wish they'd give us more time though. This isn't the only group read I have...

Penguin Random House Canada (penguinrandomhousecanada) | 94 comments Mod
Hi All - we do apologize for the quick time turnaround. That being said, we think this is a great opportunity to talk about a wonderful author that everyone loves who has a great new book on the horizon. One that's going to generate lots and lots of discussion. So if you all wouldn't mind holding tight, we can discuss the book late next week and maybe this week, we can all talk about how much we love Jodi Picoult!

What's your favourite novel that she's written?

message 9: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 22 comments I enjoyed Leaving Time, especially because I was able to meet Jodi Picoult in Toronto. for those of you in the vicinity, Canadian Living is hosting her in Toronto at the end of October!

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (suekitty13) | 46 comments Leaving Time was my first Jodi Picoult book and is still my favorite. I'm a huge animal lover and those elephants tore my heart out. I cried like a baby over them! I feel much more educated about them too. I didn't realize what complex emotional lives they have and I'm now absolutely against having them in zoos and circuses.

message 11: by Chandni (new)

Chandni (chandnin31) | 33 comments My favourite was 19 Minutes. Ever since I watched the documentary about Columbine I've been fascinated with the psychology of school shooters and 19 Minutes was such an interesting book that looked at all perspectives. I cried like a baby too.

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 80 comments My favourite is The Tenth Circle. I don't think it's one of her most popular books but I really enjoyed it. After that would have to be Leaving Time.

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather | 47 comments Going out on a huge limb here (don't hate me!!) and admitting I'm not a huge fan of her books.
I have read a few of hers as part of other clubs and always go into it with an open mind, so I am also on hold at the library for this one and entered to win. Who knows....maybe this one will win me over.

message 14: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (weepinganqels) | 19 comments I've actually never read a Jodi Picoult novel though I've heard many positive things about them over and over again - especially for Between the Lines. That being said, I really want to read one of her books!

message 15: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 22 comments I appreciated learning that Picoult was a big reader as a child and that she read Gone with the Wind at age 13 discovering “a whole world made out of words”. She was a fantastic speaker and works hard, taking her job as a writer very seriously. When she visited Toronto she shared her passion for elephants with the audience and certainly opened my eyes to the terrible treatment of these magnificent animals.

message 16: by Ammar (new)

Ammar (ammarmajali) | 65 comments I only read my Sister's Keeper and found it interesting as the genre can be too sappy and meh

message 17: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne Cassandra wrote: "I've actually never read a Jodi Picoult novel though I've heard many positive things about them over and over again - especially for Between the Lines. That being said, I really want to read one of..."

Haven't read anything yet either.......

message 18: by Louise (new)

Louise Heather wrote: "Going out on a huge limb here (don't hate me!!) and admitting I'm not a huge fan of her books.
I have read a few of hers as part of other clubs and always go into it with an open mind, so I am als..."

I'm with you Heather. I read one of her books, Second Glance, and it didn't entice me enough to read any others.

message 19: by Rachna (new)

Rachna (corruptmillionaire) | 16 comments I have't read anything of hers either. I am hoping I win a copy since I had to sit out the last few discussions since I couldn't get the books for the library on time :(. I'm still on the waiting list for September's book!

message 20: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 47 comments I haven't read any of her books. I am not opposed to reading her latest when it becomes available. I don't know if "everyone" loves her books, perhaps a big assumption. I will try and take in the discussion if I can get a copy and read it in time.

message 21: by Linda (new)

Linda | 23 comments I haven't read any of her books yet. Some of her books sound interesting, so will try to find this one to read.

message 22: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 22 comments @Linda - my favourite was The Storyteller - about a girl who befriends an older man who turns out to be a former Nazi soldier and learns about her grandmother's experience as a Jewish woman during the holocaust.

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda | 23 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "@Linda - my favourite was The Storyteller - about a girl who befriends an older man who turns out to be a former Nazi soldier and learns about her grandmother's experience as a Jewish woman during ..."

My Sister's Keeper also sounds like a good book. I've been meaning to read that one for a while.

message 24: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Boyle-Taylor | 22 comments I went out and got Nineteen Minutes today, so I could become familiar with her style. I was hoping to get Leaving Time, but it was out. I've been unable to get the book online yet, and have it on hold for me when it comes in on the 26th! Hope it's in the stores soon.

message 25: by Bella (new)

Bella (bellamh) | 1 comments I got my copy of Small Great Things last night. As Jodi started her book tour in Boston last night, and the ticket purchase includes the book, I now have it and I'm loving it so far. I can't wait for it to get released and other people to start reading it, so I have people to talk to about it!

message 26: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbaral99) | 28 comments For those of you wondering about good deals to purchase Jodi Picoult's new release, I have ordered mine from Amazon. Costco usually has great prices on books and Walmart offers 40% off on certain new releases as well.

I have read several of Jodi's books in the past, and am looking forward to this newest release. Can't wait for it to arrive in the mail!

message 27: by Donald (new)

Donald | 13 comments Just received notice that I have won a copy of Small Great Things from Goodreads giveaway. Can't wait to receive it and start reading and posting.

message 28: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 6 comments Just found out that I won a copy. Look forward to receiving it and participating in the discussion.

message 29: by Petra (new)

Petra Congratulations, Donald and Sandra! This is a great win!

I am on the waiting list at the library for this book and am looking for a copy elsewhere. I hope to participate in the discussion.

message 30: by Linda (new)

Linda | 23 comments I'm really excited to have won a copy and can't wait to read it!

message 31: by Petra (new)

Petra Another win! Congratulations, Linda!

message 32: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 80 comments I am going to admit that I am extremely jealous of all of you for winning this book :) I am on hold at the library with only 131 people ahead of me so probably won't be participating in this discussion. Happy reading to you all!

message 33: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (crazylittlebookpage) | 38 comments Harvesting the Heart and My sisters keeper are probably by far my most favourite reads of Jodi's. Both are extremely heart warming novels.

message 34: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (crazylittlebookpage) | 38 comments I got this book free on Audible so I've been listening to it and so far I'm really liking it

message 35: by Linda (new)

Linda | 23 comments Petra wrote: "Another win! Congratulations, Linda!"
Considering how many people had entered ahead of me, it sort of surprised me to win, but this way I can participate in the discussion again this month so I'm pretty excited.

message 36: by Susan (new)

Susan (suekitty13) | 46 comments I'm next in line at my library for the audio version so hopefully they are a fast listener!

message 37: by Heather (new)

Heather | 47 comments Just missed picking it up from our library's quick reads shelf. I'll check back later this week and hopefully pick up a copy! I missed taking part in the read & discussion last month!

message 38: by Amanda (last edited Oct 12, 2016 05:40AM) (new)

Amanda (adclose) | 5 comments I hope I get to read this one in time. I am very far down the waiting list but I've also requested an audio version in hopes that that wait is faster. Jodi Picoult is one of my favourite authors so its quite possible I'll pick this one up at the bookstore as well. Out of her books published today, I've quite enjoyed Harvesting the Heart, Picture Perfect, Mercy, The Pact, Plain Truth, Salem Falls, Perfect Match, Second Glance, My Sister's Keeper, Vanishing Acts, Nineteen Minutes, Change of Heart, Handle with Care, House Rules, and The Storyteller :)

message 39: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (crazylittlebookpage) | 38 comments So far this book has given me mixed feelings, I'm about 3 chapters in and I can tell there are going to be some tough subject matters to discuss.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (bucketofrhymes) | 22 comments I've been reading previews online while I wait for my Chapters order to come in. And I have mixed feelings as well. It looks like it's going to be an amazing book that tackles so many different issues, and I love Ruth's sections. But... I can't stand Turk's chapters so far. Kudos to Jodi Picoult for creating such a hateable character, but wow. There is someone whose head I do not want to be inside of.

message 41: by HeatherLynn (new)

HeatherLynn | 4 comments The blurb on the book was not appealing.. but I took a peek at the prologue and the first Ruth section and Jodi Picoult had me hooked.

She painted a picture of the young family with "the most beautiful baby she had ever seen" that made me catch my breath. That one section I expect will stay with me for a long time.

Not a fan of Turk and Brit - but Ruth and Kennedy are worth the effort.

message 42: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Boyle-Taylor | 22 comments Still waiting for my library copy, but from sampling her other work, I find her writing engrossing but long-winded. Sometimes, she gives the reader way more than you need to know. I couldn't help contrasting Nineteen Minutes with We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Schriver. Picoult is more of a "page-turner" novelist, but I thought Schriver was better stylistically; we didn't need to like her characters to get to layers of understanding about them. Nonetheless, excited to get this new book! Great issues to deal with.

message 43: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (crazylittlebookpage) | 38 comments Turk definitely is getting on my nerves and Ruth's sister oh my lord she's making me grate my teeth really! I love Ruth's character and the way she handles her child's issues. She's a very intriguing character.

message 44: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (crazylittlebookpage) | 38 comments Who else thinks Kennedy is a bit too valley girlesque? Or is that just me?

message 45: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 47 comments I purchased the book this evening so hoping to get some reading in this weekend so that I can join in the discussion. I am a few chapters in and so far it is holding my interest.

message 46: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 22 comments I will be later joining in on the discussion as I am seeing her in Toronto at the end of the month and we get a copy as part of the price we paid for admission - unless I can get a copy at the library first.

message 47: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 80 comments My Mom bought this book for me and I can't wait to start it! Looking forward to the discussion...

message 48: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 47 comments I finished the book this morning and in a word: WOW! This is my first experience with this author and I am taken aback. I can now see how she has such a large fan base. I highlighted many quotes as I read along, those that were both mind numbing and insightful. I do believe this book is chalked full of food for thought as a means to get readers thinking outside of their comfort zone. I think she tackled the novel as a facilitator of serious conversation about race, prejudice and justice in a respectful and matter of fact manner. I am certain there is going to be a lot of chatter about this novel. I will await for others to finish and look forward to everyone's thoughts. I am going to process my emotions for a long while.

message 49: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 25 comments So I'm a few chapters in. and WOW! I can't believe that people actually treat people that way. I'm just dumb founded. I've never read anything by this author and so far, i'm liking it!

Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews (lindsaylivi) | 2 comments 11 pages into "Small Great Things" and I had to take a break because I can barely see or breathe because I'm crying so hard. Jodi Picoult is such a powerful writer! This is going to be an emotional book! I have read almost every book she has written and she never fails to amaze me with her talent. Won't take me long to finish this one - I'm hooked already....

« previous 1 3