The Challenge Factory discussion

Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)
This topic is about Winter
2016 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Kelby & Elena - Winter

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5841 comments Mod
Kelby & Elena - Winter

Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments Elena are you still good to start this on the 17th?

Elena | 1382 comments hey!
yes I am . I just got it on audio and put it on my ipod :)

Elena | 1382 comments you've read Cress and Scarlet , right?
I was just looking at your Cinder review and didn't see the other two, so maybe you just didn't add them to GR :)

Elena | 1382 comments oh never mind, sorry, I'm blind - you added them, just didn't review them :D

message 6: by Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (last edited Oct 14, 2016 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments I was lazy and didn't do a review on them...LOL Do we need to read Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5) by Marissa Meyer before we read Winter? Have you read it yet?

Elena | 1382 comments I just found out about this now!! I see in the synopsis that it's Levana's story... Im sure it's amusing, but probably not essential to Winter ... Up to you - if you want to, im in!

Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments On the author's blog it says that they should be read in publication order which would mean that Fairest would be read first. We can read it first and then just extend our Winter read into November if we need to.

Elena | 1382 comments Sure . Starting Fairest?

Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments Yep, I'll start it tonight!

Elena | 1382 comments so far , so good...
I'm about 20% in (I'm listening to audio) ... I feel bad for Levana... I mean , she seems mean , but not as mean as her sister. And their parents were described as mean too - I wonder why the whole family would be just plain evil... for no reason...

Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments I am feeling bad for her too. It seems like her sister was the one who burned her but I am curious as to the reason.

Elena | 1382 comments I'm at about 75% ...
Levana goes from likable to despicable in a matter of a few lines, and then back again ... I am completely torn... I feel bad for her one moment, HATE her the next. I can see how she was this lonely, mistreated girl ... But that really doesn't excuse the killer she turned into !

Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments I hope to finish the book tomorrow. Didn't get much reading in because we had a busy weekend! I am going to ask them to keep our thread open for Nov.

message 15: by Elena (last edited Oct 25, 2016 07:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elena | 1382 comments i have finished it ...
(view spoiler)

While this book made it a bit easier to relate to Levana, I still dont' understand where all this evil comes from?! Realistically, there is always supposed to be a REASON why someone is the way they are - she just seems to have been having evil thoughts since she was a child... Maybe not as evil as her sister, but pretty close! And she ended up doing the same to Cinder that her sister did to her - burning her ... Again - we don't really know why her sister burned her when they were kids?! Just out of pure evil ?!?!
I don't get it ... I think that this evil that runs in their family was never fully/clearly explained. And now , knowing all this - how can I expect Cinder to be any better?! I mean - Cinder was always described as good and kind, but with a mother like that and an aunt like that , who were pure evil for no reason - why would Cinder be any better genetically?!

Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments I have been thinking the same thing. I have about 20 pgs left. I don't like that we don't have a specific event that made her basically hate everyone and think that she was so entitled and when we didn't get an explanation I was just left thinking "what the hell"!! At least we get some background on Winter, Jacin and Cress (although it was just mentioned that she was the doctor's daughter that was taken away because she was a shell). I didn't actually see a purpose to this book and feel like the important parts could have been worked into the actual books in the series.

message 17: by Elena (last edited Oct 25, 2016 05:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elena | 1382 comments I agree! The backstory could have been woven into Winter-it really didn't give me some amazing new info. Ok yes, we learn more about Levana, but not quite what i wanted to know (whyyy she is so evil and entitled) . All the other bits and pieces we get about Winter , Cinder, Cress, etc...could have been included in the prior/last/next books as little "flashbacks" or whatever... Overall - ok, but not great!

Elena | 1382 comments Started Winter :)

message 19: by Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (last edited Oct 26, 2016 04:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments It will be Nov 1 before I can start Winter :( I have to finish reading The Shining for 3 challenges this month.

Elena | 1382 comments No worries... i will write my comments and hide them with spoilers and we will discuss when you start on Nov.1.

message 22: by Elena (last edited Oct 26, 2016 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elena | 1382 comments holyyyyyyyyy! this book is 832 pages long!! I thought the last two books were too long... i wonder how this will play out .... so far - so good. I am liking it better than Scarlet or Cress as it is definitely more action packed - even though it has twice as many pages. I guess the author really needs to wrap up all these stories

my biggest complaint with Scarlet and ESPECIALLY Cress was that i thought they were too long and had too many needless descriptions and too little action. I don't have that problem with this one so far (even thought it is MUCH longer than the ones before).. i wonder if the author should have maybe split it into 2 books or is Winter so complex as a character with such a complex storyline as to warrant an 800+ page book? I guess it's not Winter herself or her story, it's the finishing of the whole series - EVERYONE's story ends with this book ... So i guess we will be seeing a lot of everyone...

Elena | 1382 comments ok I'm done! (view spoiler)

Elena | 1382 comments more detailed commenting and ranting :)

About Winter and Jacin : (view spoiler)

Thorne and Cress: (view spoiler)

I also had issues with the resolution of Wolfe and Scarlet: (view spoiler)

Levana (view spoiler)

Elena | 1382 comments how far along are you ?

Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments Wow, you finished that quick! I am about 100 pgs in. I am trying to start up a new business and it has taken up more of my reading time than I would like.

Elena | 1382 comments I listen to audio often so that makes it go faster because i can "read" anywhere, lol :))

Good luck with your business- definitely a higher priority here :))