Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2017] 12th Mini-Poll Results

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
The results are in!

Winners:
- An adventure book (fiction or nonfiction)
- A book that is a continuation of a book you've already read
- A really long book (600+ pages)

Bottom:
- A book about the history of where you live
- A xenofiction book (fiction from a nonhuman perspective)
- A script (play or TV or movie)

Polarizing:
- A book set during a celebration
- Group Pick: you pick 5 books and the group chooses the specific one you read

The 13th round of suggestions (the final round before the special "resubmit poll) will open on Thursday, October 6 at 8AM EST.

message 2: by Barbara (last edited Oct 03, 2016 06:54AM) (new)

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 757 comments NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO A REALLY LONG BOOK NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ok. I'm better now.

message 3: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I'm really glad 'adventure book' won, that was what I considered my top choice even out of the 4 top choices. I also voted for the continuation book so I'm happy that made it too. I didn't vote for the long book but I'm fine with it being included, it wasn't in my bottom 4. To be honest, as someone that never actually managed to complete the whole list, certain topics end up not being done anyway so I still just end up giving priority to most of the topics I like best with a few harder ones (harder for me topics) in there to keep myself challenged.

message 4: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments The "sequel" was on my top, so I'm glad to have it in the final list as I've thousand of series that I'd like to continue. I didn't vote for the adventure book but it's fine as I want to read The Wind in the Willows (that could be used for lots of our categories, I'm spending my time moving it from one to another).

I'm not a fan of the doorstop category as I know it's complicated for slow readers (but there are big children and YA books and they're quick reads). I needed a spot for the 1000p of Strange&Norrell, so here we go, and I'll read many short books to help balance my plan.

As we have only 3 winners this time, next polls will be 4/2 if the next batch isn't all over the place like this one.

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments I'm surprised at the winners, honestly. I'm happy because they are all choices I wanted, but I'm still surprised because and adventure book is very generic and the other two have both been suggested already.

I was really hoping the group pick would win because it was unique.

Out of curiosity, why are the next polls 4/2 instead of 3/3?

message 6: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments The last poll is for resubmit and as the 1st one was polarizing, it's probably safer to pick also only the top 2. But it's possible to do 3/3 if most members prefer it.

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments That makes sense, I was just curious. I forgot about the resubmissions, and now that you say that I'd prefer the 4/2

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I'm really sad about the group pick, but maybe it will win in the resubmit poll ;)

The winners are ok for me, they're very generic, so I'm sure some who want more challenging topics will not be that happy ;)

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2717 comments I'm fine with the adventure story being chosen, although I agree with Peter that it is a bit generic. It was my 5th place choice though, so no complaints there. There are lots of options.

I'm very surprised that a 600 page book was chosen considering really long books had been ruled out in previous polls (even in the bottom, if I remember correctly?). I'm not really looking forward to this one since I already did it for PopSugar this year, and it was a difficult one for me to find a book for.

A continuation of a book I've read was not something that I would have voted for, but I'm okay with it. I have 2 or 3 series that I started this year, so it would be nice to continue them.

As for the bottom choices - I'm a bit surprised that xenofiction was in the bottom. I know that it was suggested multiple times before and never made it, so maybe that's the reason why. Otherwise, I'm not really surprised by the bottom votes.

message 10: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 946 comments I'm happy with the winners. I have quite a few series I am reading, so the hard part will be picking which one to go for.

Not surprised the script was in the bottom choices, as we have a book being released as a movie in 2017 already.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I'm so surprised the Group Pick topic wasn't picked, it seemed like a lot of people liked it. I wonder if the reason it was so polarizing was because there wasn't a set method to execute it? I hope to see it in the resubmit poll!

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 0 comments Ok so these one looks easy to match, I know for the last one a really long book (600+ pages ) I got some on my kindle app as well as some actual books, the 2nd one is going to be easy as well since I have books in series that I can pick up and read , the first one an adventure book ( non fiction or fiction) I have to check on that ,I know that I have some action adventure ones but not to sure about adventure.

message 13: by Tia (last edited Oct 04, 2016 12:46AM) (new)

Tia | 128 comments The winners are very good, though I was really hoping for the genre fiction prompt to win as well, that's very fun reading in general.

message 14: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments I can't remember which categories I voted because there were many I liked; however I am happy with the adventure and the continuation of a series, so maybe I did vote for them .... pretty sure the 600+ pages was not on my top :(

I am surprise that the group pick didn't make it, it was on my bottom list, but so many were so excited with this one, that it was a surprise to see it on the list of Polarizing categories.

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna | 982 comments This is the first time none of the prompts I voted for got in, but the winners are OK.

message 16: by Erica (new)

Erica | 481 comments I'm surprised that the 600+ page book one, but I'm glad! I've read a few of those this year and have plans to read more next year. I highly recommend The Stand. It's long but didn't feel long!

message 17: by Joann (new)

Joann I was wondering if it would be possible to have an option to substitute another topic for one of the weeks at any point during the challenge. It would give everyone the option to omit one of the 52 topics that they aren't happy with.
Maybe a very popular choice such as Good reads Choice winner could be used once during the challenge in place of any other topic.

message 18: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

There will be a "wild card" option where you can switch out one of the topics for something else. We prefer that you replace it with one of the rejected topics but it isn't necessarily a requirement.

message 19: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments I'm happy with this. I'm disappointed group pick didn't win, but I'm doing the reject challenge, so no matter what I'm happy ... Easy to please :)

I do have a question pertaining to the group pick for the reject challenge though. Because I have already started creating my lists, yup, I'm that person, I've got my five books picked out, and even have a Doodle poll set up for voting. I'm curious what would be the best way to go about getting people to vote for me. I know I might be getting a bit head of things, but there are a couple of books in the list that I want to try to incorporate into the remaining list (if possible), if they aren't picked.

message 20: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments Maybe we could start a new section for choices/suggestions and we can post our threads in there. There are a lot of us doing the reject challenge, and it could also be used for other prompts as well, if people are looking for input. I actually kind of like the idea of having someone else choose for me every now and then.

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 0 comments I think in2017 this well be the only reading challenge I do , even though I have 39 of my books done it still feels like I'm behind any one else feel like that .

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2717 comments I was thinking something similar, but not necessarily for the group pick. I've been compiling a list for the rejects challenges for both years, and there are quite a few "ask another group member to choose a book for you." It would be nice to have a designated place where we could ask.

I'm still very on the fence about how I want to tackle the rejects challenges in general (ie. cut categories or leave them all, what timeframe, etc) but I am very interested in doing it in some form.

message 23: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

If the group read pick is resubmitted and becomes an official part of the challenge then we'll have to approach it differently so we may want to hold off a few weeks just to see what happens there.

Regardless, if someone is looking for recommendations for other weeks, there is an off-topic thread devoted to that: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 24: by Francesca (last edited Oct 06, 2016 06:49AM) (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Quick question. I know we only have about 2 weeks ish until the list is completed, and we'll know then what all the categories will be, but do you know when the final list, with the official order of the topics, is planning to be put up?

I'm already planning my list but I might attempt to stick to the order of the topics next year but that may include more planning for myself (trying to make sure I don't have too many similar types of books in a row, or trying to break up long books with shorter books, etc.) so I was just wondering how far in advance of next year would we be aware of the order the topics are going to be in. Apologies if this is fairly obvious, I can't fully remember exactly when it was decided on and put up last year.

message 25: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

My guess would be about a week after the list is complete. I'll tentatively say November 1.

message 26: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Laura wrote: "My guess would be about a week after the list is complete. I'll tentatively say November 1."

Ok, cool! I think I remember it being vaguely around that time last year too. :D

message 27: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Rough schedule:
- We'll need 1-2 weeks to order the final list as all the mods look at it, so we'll publish it around mid-November or a little before that.
- We'll work at the suggestion links and progress posts between mid-Nov and mid-Dec.
- The 2017 Plans will be opened at the beginning of December.

message 28: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Zaz wrote: "Rough schedule:
- We'll need 1-2 weeks to order the final list as all the mods look at it, so we'll publish it around mid-November or a little before that.
- We'll work at the suggestion links and..."

Ah! Thank you! :D

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.