Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

You Gotta Be Dirty: The Outlaws Motorcycle Club In & Around Wisconsin
This topic is about You Gotta Be Dirty
Archive - General > Is the Media Afraid of Outlaw Bikers?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Steve | 3 comments Recently, I posted a review of "You Gotta Be Dirty: The Outlaws Motorcycle Club In & Around Wisconsin." For full disclosure, I noted that, almost two years ago, I was interviewed for the master's thesis/book project.

As a graduate school researcher, the author discovered information regarding two uncleared homicides. In the first instance, a 15-year-old paperboy was killed by a bomb left for an rival of the Outlaws Motorcycle Club. Here, the research conducted for the book unearthed a document that shows, for the first time publicly, the existence of a still-living co-conspirator in the bombing death. In the second instance, the author found a means to identify the remains of a murder victim.

Believing that this information merited attention, I contacted several media outlets and volunteered to discuss these important revelations. As a former homicide detective/lieutenant, it seemed that the new information was news and may result in additional persons coming forward.

Therefore, I was surprised when the media-types that I contacted were disinterested. In my opinion, I believe that they're afraid of retaliation from the Outlaws.

I would encourage readers to pick up a copy of this book and checkout the new information. It is important for the living to speak for murder victims who can no longer speak for themselves.

Mitchell (MitchellNevin) | 2 comments I investigated the bikers for two years. I have no doubt that the media is afraid of them.

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7 comments Most people are afraid of bikers. (Except maybe Lisbeth Salander and Jack Reacher.)

message 4: by James (new)

James Peyton | 20 comments The (news) media has forgotten that its main job is tell people who weren't there what happened, and to do so without injecting personal opinions. They now believe they are the erudite, privileged few whose job it is to tell the rest of us what we should and should not be interested in. Sounds like an interesting story!

Steve | 3 comments James wrote: "The (news) media has forgotten that its main job is tell people who weren't there what happened, and to do so without injecting personal opinions. They now believe they are the erudite, privileged ..."
You're spot on there. The journalists of yore no longer exist. Instead of reporting on the news, today's American journalist want to make news.

I am trying to organize an awareness event on the anniversary of the bomb blast that killed the paperboy. The attack occurred on November 5.