Space Opera Fans discussion

Previous BOTM Threads > A SOLDIER'S DUTY (Theirs Not To Reason Why) by Jean Johnson

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Oct 03, 2016 06:28AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Greetings Space Opera Fans!

Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary...

No, this isn't a Halloween post! But one of our October group reads, A Soldier's Duty by Jean Johnson:

Ia is a precog, tormented by visions of the future where her home galaxy has been devastated. To prevent this vision from coming true, Ia enlists in the Terran United Planets military with a plan to become a soldier who will inspire generations for the next three hundred years-a soldier history will call Bloody Mary.

ARE YOU READING A SOLDIER'S DUTY? Shout it out in the discussion thread below, find some Book Buddies to read along, and tell us your impressions as you read through the chapters. Just remember to be kind please and use the spoiler .html so you don't ruin the fun for somebody who's not as far along.

Be epic!

Anna Erishkigal
SOF Borg Queen

message 2: by Fiannawolf (new)

Fiannawolf | 163 comments Yaaasss. I love this series. I reminded me of Dune and its Golden Path, a smattering of Harrington, mixed with early Asimov. But thats just my biased opinion.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Bergeron (scifi_jon) | 370 comments I gotta read this. The reviews that aren't glowing are pretty damning, however if its straight action I'll be happy reading about a flawless protag.

message 4: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Nagy | 111 comments Jonathan wrote: "I gotta read this. The reviews that aren't glowing are pretty damning, however if its straight action I'll be happy reading about a flawless protag."

I read the series a while back I enjoyed it, but those pure damning reviews are dead on. This series tried to shoot for the most overpowered Mary Sue protagonist in science fiction and they might of actually succeeded.

message 5: by Fiannawolf (new)

Fiannawolf | 163 comments I didnt mind that she was sue incarnate, it reminded me of paul and leto vs the golden path and just how fracked up things could get. But there is a fair amount of action. Plus I like how creepy the Greys are in this series.

message 6: by Fiannawolf (new)

Fiannawolf | 163 comments But even those creepy Greys are extremely afraid of a certain something else....I genuinely hope she goes and shows us the big battle that Ia is trying to alter at some point.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin | 30 comments A bit late to the party! I'm just getting back to goodreads after a long hiatus cause of university. But I loved this book. While she was indeed a flawless and overpowered protagonist, I still loved the action. But, maybe that was cause I'd just finished some exams and I wanted some mindless violent action!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Soldier's Duty (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jean Johnson (other topics)