YA and Beyond discussion

Promise of the Wolves (Wolf Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Promise of the Wolves
MONTHLY BOOK DISCUSSIONS > October 2016: Promise of the Wolves

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ashley Marie Here's our thread for this month! I may not be able to start until next week, we'll see how things go with my other reads, but I'm really looking forward to this one :)

message 2: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 2471 comments Mod
Great!! Just requested it from the library. :D

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Have it from the library, but haven't had a chance to start reading yet. Hopefully some time next week......still on a book hangover from Salt to the Sea and Crooked Kingdom....

Ashley Marie I need to make time for Salt to the Sea, Elora! It's on my library list :)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 6961 comments Mod
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "I need to make time for Salt to the Sea, Elora! It's on my library list :)"

I am hoping to read it in 2017

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "I need to make time for Salt to the Sea, Elora! It's on my library list :)"

Did you finish her other one?

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "I need to make time for Salt to the Sea, Elora! It's on my library list :)"

I am hoping to read it in 2017"

Awesome! It's really good!

Ashley Marie Elora wrote: "Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "I need to make time for Salt to the Sea, Elora! It's on my library list :)"

Did you finish her other one?"

So far I've read Shades of Gray, which I really... 'enjoyed' seems to be the wrong word here, but it was an excellent book.

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Elora wrote: "Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "I need to make time for Salt to the Sea, Elora! It's on my library list :)"

Did you finish her other one?"

So far I've read Shades of Gray, which ..."

That's a fantastic way of putting it. She's a heart-wrenching author.

Ashley Marie Got started on this last night because I couldn't sleep -- 30 pages in and I'm interested. The pups' interactions remind me of the Julie of the Wolves books. Hoping I don't get this too mixed up with The Sight (which I'm still slogging through).

message 11: by Brigid ✩ (new)

A copy came to the library for me and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow! And I'll probably start it in two or three days. :) Ahh I loved Julie of the Wolves when I was a kid! Wasn't a huge fan of The Sight (and I also thought this book sounded similar to that book, haha) but I'm hoping I like this better!!

Ashley Marie I remember really liking the Sight when I read it a few years ago but this reread will probably see me passing it along and making more space on the shelf. I'll likely still read Fell too, because I've got it, but Fire Bringer remains my favorite of DCD's books thus far.

PROMISE, on the other hand, feels much less wordy.

message 13: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Yeah I remember thinking The Sight was okay when I was like 11, then I think I re-read part of it a few years later and didn't like it much at all, lol. I never read Fire Bringer, but maybe I'll give that one a try someday!

Ooh okay, that's good! Unfortunately my starting of this book has been delayed by a few days ... I was intending to pick it up from the library on Thursday, but long story short I unexpectedly ended up staying at a friend's house for a few days, haha. So now I can't get it til Tuesday, but I'll start it then! (I also still need to finish re-reading The Amber Spyglass first.)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Alright! I finished this last night. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the book, but I realized that I don't like books written from an animal's perspective. I'm trying to remember if I've ever read any before, and I don't think I have.....I was surprised by this revelation!

message 15: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Hmmm yeah, I'm usually not really into animal perspectives either––although Watership Down is one of my favorite books of all time, so I'm hoping this book is somewhat similar to that. :D

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments You know, I tried Watership Down and I REALLY wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get into it. I DNF just after they found the road. :(

Ashley Marie ohhhh I loved Watership Down.

message 18: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Haha that's ok Elora. It's .... a pretty strange book, and it's kinda dry in some parts, but it's still one of my favorites. I re-read it a couple years ago and loved it just as much as I did as a kid!

Ashley, oh yeah I remember you saying you liked it!

Ashley Marie Just finished, and I had a thought. I love animal books, but I feel like they're really locked into a certain formula when it comes to portraying things realistically, especially for books like this where there's not a prophecy to fulfill or anything like that. I loved the interactions between the wolves and the people though.