The Fever Code (The Maze Runner, #0.5) The Fever Code discussion

The truth about Teresa

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Emma *You should only be looking at this discussion if you have finished the book because there are major spoilers ahead. You've been warned*

So. That last chapter. Teresa's email.

Was she truly playing them all along? Did she actually have her memory the whole time? What a complicated, twisted character.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 03, 2016 10:14AM) (new)

I Believe That Teresa Wrote it

I Vaguely Remember Teresa Telling Thomas in The Scorch Trials That While She Was In The Coma in The First Book, She Was Communicating with Aris. Just Before She Betrayed Thomas.

This is From a Interview with James Dashner

Will we find out what side Thomas and Teresa are actually on?

Will all the loose ends be tied up, or will you leave some things up for debate?

You've nailed the true magic of this book, which of course I can't spoil too much. But I will say that after reading this new story, people will always look at the original trilogy in a little different light. I do believe that my readers will feel satisfaction and closure.

This is tough, but can you describe The Fever Code in 3 words?

Revealing. Scary. Bittersweet.

Emma Now that I know the supposed truth, I definitely look at it differently now. Looking back there are things she does that it would make sense she always had her memory. If she really did (to be
honest it could have gone both ways) then I hate her even more now.

Emma NO THATS OKAY SRSLY SONYA IS NEWTS SISTER WTFFFFF.

I laughed so hard at Toby :'D

Emma I felt so sorry for Minho, he was not a guy to be kept in that situation :(

What surprised me then most though was that Teresa had her memories through the whole. entire. thing. I mean how could she. Just, omg.....

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

It's SO Weird, Reading The Original Trilogy After Reading The Fever Code. Everything is Starting To Make So Much More Sense and It is Mind-Blowing.

It is Strongly Hinted in The Scorch Trials-That Both Teresa and Aris Have Their Memories, In Fact While They Were Both in a Coma,They Were Communicating Via Mind .

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Em wrote: "Ginny * Have Courage and Be Kind* wrote: "It's SO Weird, Reading The Original Trilogy After Reading The Fever Code. Everything is Starting To Make So Much More Sense and It is Mind-Blowing.

It is ..."

Agreed!

I Have Now Finished The Trilogy

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Em wrote: "Awesome...the original ones are so good. I also loved the first prequel, The Kill Order, even though some of my friends said it was 'boring' (but then again they the shuckiest shuck faced shanks th..."

Agreed! I Really Liked The Kill Order

Emma deleted user wrote: "Em wrote: "Awesome...the original ones are so good. I also loved the first prequel, The Kill Order, even though some of my friends said it was 'boring' (but then again they the shuckiest shuck face..."

Omg, this Ginny person legit deltes their profile after every single comment, messing up my notifications.... Why.

message 10: by anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

anna I just can't believe Teresa had her memory all through TMR. (never liked her anyways)

AND YEAH SONYA AND NEWT WERE TOGETHER IN SCORCH TRIALS AND DEATH CURE WEREN'T THEY

SAD

message 11: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Yeah I think so. I'm just ignoring it now :/

message 12: by Kira (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kira That was a real plot twist I don't know what to think about it. It changes the whole story and the role Teresa plays. I kind of feel like she didn't have her memories the whole time I don't know I just can't get my head around it. Another possibility is that Ava Paige just wrote the email and tacked on Teresa's name, just like she did with Thomas.

message 13: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Kira wrote: "That was a real plot twist I don't know what to think about it. It changes the whole story and the role Teresa plays. I kind of feel like she didn't have her memories the whole time I don't know I ..."

See this is what I'm stressing over! We don't REALLY know, and we won't. Remember in the prologue of The Kill Order, Teresa is watching Thomas go through the swipe and is wondering what it will be like for herself. But that could just be James Dashner changing the story since he wrote them so many years apart, or it could just be to throw off the reader, or it could be possible that Teresa didn't know she'd keep her memories yet. We really will never know if she did or didn't have her memories. Ava Paige could also have told Teresa she WOULD keep her memories, and then betray her like she did with Thomas. There are so many different things that could have gone down.

Personally, I think Teresa DID have her memories the whole time. It makes sense, and there's plenty of indicators in all the books that she does. She's just too suspicious.

message 14: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Em wrote: "I agree, but I kind of think Teresa wrote it...I really hope there's going to be another book though to clear that up and tell us more about Group B...and Sonya"

I'd really love a book from Group B, maybe like the first book but we get the girls in their maze instead of the boys. That would be awesome :) But I think Dashner is done.

message 15: by Liza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liza Jaimes Oh em gee! I am so glad i am not the only one who feels this way. This book honestly confirmed my feelings in regards to Teresa.

At the end of The Death Cure, Teresa wasnt my fav person but i was still sad that she got smooshed since at the time we didnt know the full truth.

When i was reading the discussion on The Death Cure's book regarding Thomas and Brenda vs Thomas and Teresa, it looked as though the majority of people were on team Thomas and Teresa. UGHHH NOOO! DEFINITELY NOT NOW! Brenda seemed to be the only who has been generally interested in Thomas romantically from LITERALLY THE BEGINNING while Teresa was kinda scheming the whole time with WICKED.

I totally believe Teresa had her memories the whole time and she schemed with WICKED trying to get Thomas back into loving and believing in WICKED even though it was clear it was not ging to happen EVEN WITH THE SWIPE! I mean who knows what kind of convo she had with Dr. Paige after the group meeting discussing being put into the maze!

In conclusion, TEAM BRENDA FOR THE WIN!!

message 16: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I completely agree with you Liza!!! But I think I know enough about Teresa to really know her and know why she did all things she did. Even understanding her actions somewhat, I still don't like her. I've always been team Brenda all the way :)

message 17: by TolkieniteJedi (last edited Nov 02, 2016 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

TolkieniteJedi Oh my goodness, that last plot twist was insane. I'm so torn about Teresa. Before this, I was one of those people who defended her and shipped Thomesa more than Thomenda. Now it's way harder to like her. Although I do think she genuinely loved Thomas, her ultimate loyalty lay with WICKED, which makes her such a conflicted, interesting character. At the same time, I can't genuinely like her anymore, which is saddening for me.

And yes, I do believe Teresa wrote the last email and had her memories all along. After all, in the email she sent, she said that she was going to write "WICKED is good" on her arm before going up in the Box. Didn't she say to Thomas in The Maze Runner that she wrote it after she woke up from her coma? If she truly had no memories, why would she lie and say she wrote it when she woke up?

Talk about the plot twist of the century.

message 18: by Liza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liza Jaimes I am rught there with you emma! I feel like i know enough about Teresa too and i totally understand her loyalty to WICKED considering her background story in The Kill Order. But do i agree with her "ends justify the means" mentality like WICKED and trying to constantly shove it down Thomas' throat? No! I can see how conflicted she must of been, but how many times did Thomas throughout the while series and in this book express specifically he was getting more and more distrustful of WICKED. if she truly cared and loved him, she would of at least tried to understand or be upfront about not agreeing. I mean, how many times has Brenda been pretty upfront about how she felt?

In the end, i feel like she had more of a sibling love for Thomas than a romantic.

Paris Well, she dies in the end anyway so...

message 20: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma ParisOConnell wrote: "Well, she dies in the end anyway so..."

So what?

message 21: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Well Deedee is an innocent little 4 or 5 year old and Teresa is a brainwashed liar....

message 22: by Mboxer511 (new)

Mboxer511 I think teresa had her memories all along. First i think this because, like others were saying, she states that she was going to write "WICKED is good" BEFORE going in. Also if you listen to the time stamp of the epilogue letters Teresa 's letter is sent out about an hour BEFORE Dr.Page sends her letter out. Even though it' shown to us AFTER in the book.

Next when Teresa says she wonders what it will be like having her memory swiped in the prolouge: when reading this, first onemight think she's foreshadowing her own memory swipe, but when rereading it after finishing the book it just sounds like her stating a curiosity. Knowing she will never get a memory swipe she wonders how it must be for the others.

Additionally, IIRC in the 2nd or 3rd book when the runners have a chance to have their memories restored she is against it. I never really understood why but now it makes sense. It's because she would not gain back any lost memories and ONLY just lose her ability to communicate with her mind. Something she needs to stay in touch with WICKED and Aris.

William Crabtree I think she knows...at one point in I believe it is the Death Cure her and Aris basically try to exterminate Thomas. Her response was to "trust her" and "she was told to".

I think looking at it...
Teresa/DeeDee - WICKED was her savior, they provided her a safe have, WICKED is good!
Thomas/Stephen - was plucked from his home life to be a test mule, which makes him question WICKED throughout the whole series.

message 24: by Liza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liza Jaimes hmm. you are totally right. I figured it was a factor since Teresa never really wanted to talk about her past much, but I thought that since her and Thomas grew up together at WICKED that she would of at least had SOME loyalty or closeness to Thomas... but maybe their past was too different for them to see eye to eye. which means they were probably never really as close and good of friends as we all believed O_O

ughhh... I still dislike Teresa... but maybe a SMIDGE less than before lol

TolkieniteJedi I still think Teresa really liked Thomas romantically. Maybe when they put Thomas in the Maze she thought they wouldn't kill him because he was one of the Maze builders. But then that idea was shattered after Rachel (and Chuck) died, leaving her and Aris questioning everything. And in The Scorch Trials, maybe part of why she beat up Thomas and acted all weird was because she really believed they'd kill him.

Lol, I'm just thinking out loud here. Now I actually feel slightly better about her motivations.

Anyway, the fact that Teresa sacrificed herself for Thomas proves that she ultimately cared for him.

William Crabtree This is turning in to something along the lines of for/against Snape..

message 27: by Liza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liza Jaimes LOL totally!! but I as well still don't care for Teresa! Snape fought for the good side, Teresa..
not so much! Brenda on the other hand always fought to survive but really hated working with WICKED to do it

message 28: by Liza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liza Jaimes ps I was totally re-watching the scorch trials movie last night (yesss I truly believe they butchered the movie and it should be a crime against humanity! it is truly awful!!) and they have made it abundantly clear who's side Teresa is on and how she is definitely willing to throw everybody and anybody under the bus... so at least they made THAT decision easy for anybody watching the movies

William Crabtree Liza wrote: "ps I was totally re-watching the scorch trials movie last night (yesss I truly believe they butchered the movie and it should be a crime against humanity! it is truly awful!!) and they have made it..."

I have yet to watch the movies. I'm afraid to because it's a YA book and they always butcher them..

message 30: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Don't watch the Scorch Trials then, it's 100% NOTHING from the book. It's horrible. :(

message 31: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Have you watched the first movie? It's really good, but the 2nd one is terrible. I'm sure, having read the whole series you can watch the first movie alone and be fine.

TolkieniteJedi I've only seen the first one, but I know aaaall about the second one and its terrible plot divergence. Really annoys me. It isn't creative license - it's throwing the book out the window and making it up out of thin air.

The first one bugged me with all the little things they changed for no reason, but at least the main plot and characters were the same as the book. (But seriously? Why was the model maze made of wood? How would you track the walls' movements?)

message 33: by Liza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liza Jaimes the first movie wasn't bad.. just some little changes but the second movie was just god awful! I wish I could unsee it!

but I only mentioned the movies because I thought it was really interesting that they made it abundantly clear on where Teresa stands. BaNaNaS!!!

William Crabtree I always had the vibe from the books that Teresa was hiding something or acting fishy. Her mannerisms and attitudes seemed different than everyone elses.

message 35: by Maaz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maaz Khan I think Teresa betrayed Thomas about Swipe and then she herself was betrayed by WICKED and her memory was taken. Thomas asked Teresa if she was sure wicked won't be able to change her mind about swipe and she replied she will be there next day after Thomas - with memory intact. She never said anything about Thomas's memory. Previously Thomas asked if they will be able to rescue their friends and Teresa evaded that question. Anyone agree?

message 36: by Mar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mar TolkienFangirl wrote: "I still think Teresa really liked Thomas romantically. Maybe when they put Thomas in the Maze she thought they wouldn't kill him because he was one of the Maze builders. But then that idea was shat..."

I totally agree

WolfeMan To comment on the movies, The Scorch Trials doesn't follow the book yes we know but I still enjoyed it as another look at an interesting concept. Of course I would've loved a by-the-book movie, but the Scorch Trials is still fun to watch. Also don't lose hope, Director We Ball has said Death Cure will get right back on track and follow the book!
(Oh, and totally team Thomas and Brenda btw)

message 38: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma TolkienFangirl wrote: "I still think Teresa really liked Thomas romantically. Maybe when they put Thomas in the Maze she thought they wouldn't kill him because he was one of the Maze builders. But then that idea was shat..."

I think this is one possibility that definitely makes sense. I would like to believe it, but that being said I believe that Teresa really was a player, and a traitor. Maybe by trying to save him she was trying to redeem herself, I don't know. I think she really only liked Tommy like a brother though XD. Poor guy ;)

WolfeMan Em wrote: "I haven't watched the movies, although I got The Maze Runner for Christmas (yay!)...I've heard that they are pretty inaccurate, which is sad, but then again, I would watch a movie that was exactly ..."

I haven't heard much of anything about The Death Cure, but Gally never dies? He gets the klunk beat out of him just like in the book but they leave him at the Wicked place so he's most likely still alive. Still looking forward to The Death Cure!

message 40: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma @Em that's what happens in the movie, not the book. He definitely is still breathing by the end of it; he looks at what he did to Chuck.

And you should read the book before asking about spoilers like that XD

WolfeMan The Death Cure movie will only be one part, Director Ball only believes in a three part stories that have a beginning, middle, and end so it's good to be with a director who won't elongate the story unnescisarily! *cough* Hunger Games *cough* lol

message 42: by Kira (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kira When I first read that part I just assumed that Teresa thought she would keep her memories but then Wicked would betray her like they betrayed Thomas. But then I thought, what if she actually had her memories the whole time? Now that's what I'm going with because it just seems to make more sense.

But I also like the idea of never officially knowing whether she had her memories or not. I think it would be cool if it just kept us questioning forever. So if you re-read the series you won't be sure if you can trust her or not and I think that's kinda how Thomas feels.

Also I'm really disappointed about Teresa because I used to love her, and I hardcore shipped Teresa and Thomas. But now I just don't like her, and it sucks because I also hate Brenda (don't ask me why I've just always hated her) and Brenda was also probably lying to Thomas because she was affiliated with W.I.C.K.E.D. too. So now poor Thomas can't really trust anyone aww. And now I'm not team Brenda or Teresa, I guess it's time to look into shipping Newtmas, idk man.

message 43: by Liza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liza Jaimes lol newtmas! that would be my favorite bromance ever!

yes I too like that Dashner makes us keep second guessing about Teresa but at the end of the day if she got the flare and died... I wouldn't be sad about it.. AT ALL!

and yes the movies are never as good as the books but The Scorch Trials doesn't follow the book at all, which is fine because it's a different interpretation of the book... but I guess what really grinds my gears is that they ever so casually threw in the right arm and then it became this whole new focal point of the movie. and with The Right Arm being as political as it is makes it a tad worse (gahhh political agendas drive me nuts ie: read Wicked by G Maguire)

THANK GOD The Death Cure will only be one movie! the elongating of movies and suspense kills me! The Hunger Games was amazing in comparison to what they are doing with the Divergent series!! talk about butchering and then killing the butchered! Either way I am excited to hear that The Death Cure will be more on track. it would be cool to visually see Wes Ball's interpretation of the city and everything else!

message 44: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Is it just me or am I the only one who hates merging the names together? Tomenda sounds ridiculous XD

I've never liked Teresa, and never trusted her. But after reading the Fever Code I've actually come to love her, not because of her actions throughout the trilogy - I hate the things she did, selfish bitch! - but now she's so complex, so mysterious.... I've come to sort of love her evilness and sneaky ness. I like her after reading this book - is that weird?

WolfeMan I personally don't think Brenda is tricking Thomas and siding with WICKED, because she has almost every reason to go against them. They sent her brother (George) into the maze and she might've learned of his death. Plus, she acts with general affection towards Thomas in this most recent book, which is the budding of a true relationship. If anything, I felt more of a brother-sister relationship between Theresa and Thomas. That's just my opinion though haha. Hopefully we get to see more of Jorge and Brenda in the Death Cure, love both of them especially Jorge

message 46: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma WolfeMan wrote: "I personally don't think Brenda is tricking Thomas and siding with WICKED, because she has almost every reason to go against them. They sent her brother (George) into the maze and she might've lear..."

But the whole thing about Brenda's brother being George who was one of the first sent into the Glade, that's just a thing from the movie isn't it? That's not from the book. But I agree with what you said about Brenda.

WolfeMan Emma wrote: "WolfeMan wrote: "I personally don't think Brenda is tricking Thomas and siding with WICKED, because she has almost every reason to go against them. They sent her brother (George) into the maze and ..."

I would believe it's part of the books as well, as James Dashner had large contributions with script writing.. But that's just me making theories lol

Sasha Raquel I was also very thrown by the revelation at the end of Fever Code regarding Teresa. I looked through the original Maze runner book to see if the idea that Teresa had memories the whole time held water but actually became more confused by what I found. There is a part in the Maze Runner where she is in a coma and begins talking to Thomas for the first time via telepathy in the maze. She tells him that her memory was going and that she can feel the memories slipping away. I dont know if this is all an act, because if it was what would have been the purpose of it? Is it possible she did lose her memories once in the maze while she was in a coma? Can anyone explain this?

WolfeMan A big nod that she has her memories still is knowing how to talk telepathically . Thomas had no idea he could talk to others in his head until she showed up and started talking inside his.

message 50: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Sasha wrote: "I was also very thrown by the revelation at the end of Fever Code regarding Teresa. I looked through the original Maze runner book to see if the idea that Teresa had memories the whole time held wa..."

Maybe she was losing some of her memories, not all. I don't remember that bit.

« previous 1 3