2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2016 > December Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4589 comments Hi Everyone!

Can you believe it is time to nominate for December?! The last month of the year, time flies incredibly fast! I hope you have all had a great reading year so far! The theme of the month is Holidays!

Please remember to state a connection to the theme when you nominate. Thank you :)

Here are some short rules for nominating books:

~ Each person can nominate 1 book.

~ Book must be available both as a physical copy and as an ebook.

~ Authors: Please do not nominate your own book.

~ Please include the name of the book and the author or link to the book.

~ Please do not nominate books that are part of a series, unless it is the first book.

~ You can second someone else's nomination, but that will count as your nomination.

~ When nominating, please state a connection to the theme.

~ You cannot nominate a book which has previously been a group read. Past buddy reads are fine. (See Group Reads in the bookshelf)

This thread will be closed by October 25th, and we will choose ten books for the poll. If there are more than ten books nominated, we will choose the ten most nominated. If there is still a tie to get into the top ten, we'll go back to the Goodreads average rating to see which is highest.

message 2: by Noelia (new)

Noelia | 4 comments I would like to nominate A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I second A Christmas Carol.

message 4: by Karoline (new)

Karoline Lien (karolinelien) | 47 comments I wanted to see if The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Narnia #1) was within the theme. You have the theme of Christmas (or rather lack thereof) in the book.

message 5: by CMG (Mac) (new)

CMG (Mac) Could you direct me to the November poll? I'm having trouble locating it.

For December, I'd like to nominate New Year's Eve by Lisa Grunwald. A ghost story for the holidays ;)!!

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 38 comments Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

message 7: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4589 comments Nicole wrote: "I second A Christmas Carol."

We have already had that as a group read. We only read books we haven't read before. But I guess many will want to read it in December, so maybe a buddy read?

message 8: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4589 comments Keep 'em coming :)

message 9: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4589 comments CMG (Mac) wrote: "Could you direct me to the November poll? I'm having trouble locating it.

For December, I'd like to nominate New Year's Eve by Lisa Grunwald. A ghost story for the h..."

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Look all the way down on the page :)
Thanks for the nomination :)

message 10: by CMG (Mac) (new)

CMG (Mac) Winter wrote: "CMG (Mac) wrote: "Could you direct me to the November poll? I'm having trouble locating it.

For December, I'd like to nominate New Year's Eve by Lisa Grunwald. A gho..."

Thanks!! I found it ... Doh!

message 11: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I nominate A Christmas Story. It fits the holiday theme since it's a family Christmas memoir. The movie is much beloved and I bet I'm not the only one who has never read the book on which it's based.

message 12: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4589 comments Thank you :)

message 13: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments I would like to nominate Letters from Father Christmas as I think it fits in with the theme. It's also fairly short and December tends to be a really busy month.

This is the description:-
Every December an envelope bearing a stamp from the North Pole would arrive for J.R.R. Tolkien’s children. Inside would be a letter in a strange, spidery handwriting and a beautiful colored drawing or some sketches.

The letters were from Father Christmas.

They told wonderful tales of life at the North Pole: how the reindeer got loose and scattered presents everywhere; how the accident-prone North Polar Bear climbed the North Pole and fell through the roof of Father Christmas’s house; how he broke the Moon into four pieces and made the Man in it fall into the back garden; how there were wars with the troublesome horde of goblins who lived in the caves beneath the house.

Sometimes the Polar Bear would scrawl a note, and sometimes Ilbereth the Elf would write in his elegant flowing script, adding yet more life and humor to the stories.

message 14: by Brenda (new)

Brenda C (goodreadscombrendac) | 28 comments I second Letters from Father Christmas!

message 15: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6436 comments I nominate My Holiday in North Korea: The Funniest/Worst Place on Earth by Wendy Simmons. It was published this year (so would qualify for Goodreads choice challenge), and it fits the holiday theme!

message 16: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4589 comments Thank you both!

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky | 130 comments I second The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
I have always wanted to read it!

message 19: by Jane (last edited Oct 18, 2016 06:42AM) (new)

Jane | 240 comments I would like to nominate SantaLand Diaries by David Sedaris

It's a short and sweet collection of funny Christmas themed stories, some I think based on Sedaris' life and others are complete fiction.

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate I would love to Buddy Read A Christmas Carol. Just wanted to put that out there!

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann (hammiam) | 161 comments I will second SantaLand Diaries.

message 22: by Alisia (new)

Alisia (meniali) | 248 comments I will third SantaLand Diaries! I have read his book Holidays on Ice and it was hilarious!

message 23: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4589 comments Thank you all. Will close the thread tomorrow, so keep nominating! :)

message 24: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4589 comments I'm going to third or what it is The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe because it was shown every morning at Christmas on television so it is Christmas to me :) (And it is my favorite holiday of the year).

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.