Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Anns Busy September 2016 reads

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Oct 03, 2016 10:43PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14293 comments I managed to read a lot more than I expected, but it was mostly due to traffic and listening in the car - at least I have the good books read as a benefit!
Blackout
Another Brooklyn
Damaged
Surrender, New York
Some Like It Witchy
Brown Girl Dreaming
Vinegar Girl
A Great Reckoning
Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar
Where It Hurts

Rosenfelt, David Blackout Hoopla Finished 9/2/2016 Rank 9 of 10 A Group read selection and one of my first Rosenfelt books Distinctly voiced characters with amnesia as a vehicle tying together friendship, humor, police investigation, terrorism, and what it means to take risks and keep trying and to have your partners's back. Ably narrated by Jeff Steitzer.

Woodson, Jacqueline Another Brokklyn Audio Finished 9/3/2016 Rank 9.65 of 10
Wonderful, a wonderful well written spare but rich story. You know how you will sometimes be pulled up short as you read, taken over by a rush of emotion and a feeling that the story has touched a place deep inside your core? Well that happened more than once while listening to the stellar narration of this thoughtful story about a young girl; life, loss, growth and yes, also about love; the kind of love that swells in your heart.

Scottoline, Lisa Damaged (Risoto and DiNunzio #4) Audio Finished 9/8/2016 Rank 9.25 of 10
I love these characters, especially Mary's family. As a partner Mary has latitude to pursue special needs cases that she feels passionate about and this one stirs deep emotions and strong suspense leading to an intensely complex and personal story.

Carr, Caleb Surrender, New York Audio Finished 9/16/2016 Rank 9.5 of 10 I was immediately drawn into this thriller about a criminal psychologist and a trace evidence expert, brilliant minds, exiled from "big city" cases and now teaching online courses and occasionally profiling for local authorities in upstate New York. Their unofficial investigation into teen deaths uncovers ominous indications of corruption and danger and of problems society seemingly ignores.
Not the historical tale I originally expected, but rooted in history and quite a compelling book. Join in the group read discussions if you pick it up. recommend.

Blake, Heather Some Like it Witchy (Wishcraft #5) Audio Finished 9/18/2016 Rank 9.35 of 10 Such an enjoyable series, I usually read these in a couple of days, eager to see what my favorite characters are up to and this was no exception. Ready for the next one!

Woodson, Jacqueline Brown Girl Dreaming Kindle Finished 9/30/2016 Rank 9.85 of 10 Words that resonate, stories that touched my heart and give meaning, conjuring memories and filling my soul with hope. This is a collection of story verse that I want to collect not just read. My second Woodson book of the month and I am glad I read both.

Tyler, Anne Vinegar Girl (Hogarth Shakespeare project - The Taming of the Shrew) Audio Finished 9/20/2016 Rank 9 of 10
I enjoyed the modern take on this classic story with contemporary details. The narration gave subtle and effective inflection to the various voices which added nuance to the emotions of the characters, especially Kate. This project is something I need to investigate further. I am also eager to read the Margaret Atwood entry.

Penny, Louise A Great Reckoning (Three Pines #15) Audio Finished 9/27/2016 Rank 9.75 of 10 I laughed; I cried. It was splendid! Highly anticipated and it did not disappoint. I do miss Ralph Cosham as narrator as Carol mentioned previously.

Strayed, Cheryl Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar Audio Finished 9/27/2016 Rank 9 of 10
I love listening to Cheryl Strayed's podcast and this is a nicely curated set of her advice offered to questions posed on all sorts of topics. The personal responses that include Cheryl's own life experience are always interesting and sometimes profound. Narrated by Cheryl.

Coleman, Reed Farrel Where it Hurts (Gus Murphy #1) Audio finished 9/30/2016 rank 9.45 of 10 Gus Murphy is tough, broken, determined and loyal. He isn't a cop anymore but he can't change who he is deep down and isn't sure he wants to. It just hurts too much to contemplate. I was intrigued by Coleman's treatment of Jesse Stone (my first book of October) so picked this one up. I liked it.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Ann, I'm waiting for damaged

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments Wow, Ann, great month!! You have a good mix there too!

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments Great month! So glad you're still enjoying the Wishcraft books! There's a new one coming out tomorrow!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14293 comments Melodie: I don't want to be caught up!
Melodie wrote: "Great month! So glad you're still enjoying the Wishcraft books! There's a new one coming out tomorrow!"

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Interesting list, Ann! I agree with you on A Great Reckoning and Surrender, New York.

I am going to search out the Cheryl Strayed book immediately. I am a closet advice column fan and listen to Dear Sugar religiously. Does this book overlap the podcast entries or are they entirely separate?

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14293 comments Carol: I first listened to Cheryl Strayed narrate her memoir Wild and became fascinated by her life and insightful way of thinking. I think the questions and responses in the book probably overlap the Dear Sugar podcast, but I enjoyed it so much I didn't notice that.
The book is segmented by themes and related questions. Most are nice meaty responses addressing well written thoughtful questions. She commented on that - stating that when she selected which questions to include the well written ones rose to the top. They are arranged in sections by types of questions and in some cases one response is linked to multiple versions of similar questions. I expect you will enjoy it!

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Thanks, Ann. It was available at my library so I picked it up yesterday. I think I've found my next listen.; Tana French, which is slow to surface, will have to wait if it comes in.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14293 comments Carol: I got my digital audio library turn for the Tana French book and it has me hooked. I did listen to the Dear Sugar audio between other audio books; enjoy!
My audio tbr is spilling over with good options right now; a good problem to have!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Thanks, Ann. It was available at my library so I picked it up yesterday. I think I've found my next listen.; Tana French, which is slow to surface, will have to wait if it comes in."