What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Halloween Books

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wren (new)

Wren  (wrenreaders) | 143 comments I'm doing a Halloween Book Challenge and one of the categories is a book that either takes place around Halloween or has Halloween as a major theme. I don't know of any books that fit this description, so I was hoping some of you might. YA is preferred. Thanks so much!

message 2: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 53 comments Maybe search on Amazon? Just search the kindle store, and pop Halloween into the search bar. I just tried it, and it comes up with all kinds of stuff.

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments Maybe one of these will work:
Witches' Bane (China Bayles, #2) by Susan Wittig Albert Through the Veil (Circle of Three, #9) by Isobel Bird

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Maybe some of these will work?

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1190 comments Perhaps A Night in the Lonesome October? Not YA but it's pretty tame, no swearing, sex or anything else inappropriate that I can recall.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
The Halloween Tree is described as YA.

message 7: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 390 comments Fire and Hemlock, by Diana Wynne Jones. A retelling of The Ballad of Tam Lin. Key events at the beginning and end happen on Halloween. Contemporary (1980s) setting.

The Perilous Gard, by Elizabeth Marie Pope. Also a retelling of Tam Lin. Also has key events on/near Halloween (I guess the significance of Halloween was part of the original Tam Lin story). Tudor setting.

message 8: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1190 comments Abigail wrote: "(I guess the significance of Halloween was part of the original Tam Lin story)...."

It was!
And good suggestions!

message 11: by Videomaster21XX (last edited Oct 05, 2016 07:18AM) (new)

Videomaster21XX | 30 comments Well I think it's closer to children then YA, but my suggestion is:

What's Happened to Harry?

Great book that has Halloween as a major theme about a boy who has to dress as a poodle for Halloween, only to encounter a witch that turns him into his costume.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

I loved it as a kid, but I'm not sure if it ever had an official release. When I purchased a copy a couple of years ago, all I could find are copies that came from school elementary libraries.

It's not highly sought after or even known though, so it's relatively cheap.

message 12: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments The events of Diana Wynne Jones's Witch Week happen around the week of Halloween and take place in a world where being a witch is illegal. It's as funny as it's dark. Highly recommended.

message 13: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 333 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "The Halloween Tree is described as YA."

Towards the younger end of the YA spectrum.
There's also his Something Wicked This Way Comes which is also YA.

His The October Country has a couple of Halloween stories. Adult, but he's YA friendly, in general.

Abigail wrote: "(I guess the significance of Halloween was part of the original Tam Lin story). ..."

Yes, that's correct.
Another Tam Lin possiblity might be Tam Lin
Many (but not all) of the books from this list would count: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

Some of the books from the "halloween" list earlier are halloween themed just by virtue of being spooky. They don't actually involve Halloween in any way.

message 14: by Wren (new)

Wren  (wrenreaders) | 143 comments thanks!

message 15: by Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (last edited Oct 05, 2016 04:14PM) (new)

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments The second book of the Iron Druid Chronicles, Hexed takes place immediately after the Samhain, which is the Druidic Halloween. It's magic and urban fantasy.

The book is a sequel, but there's a lot of explanation and it would stand alone just fine. I highly recommend the series, though.

Not YA and there is a little explicit content, but for the most part it's clean.

message 16: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Glissendorf | 3 comments Deadly Game of Magic by Joan Lowery Nixon