Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments Snow Crash. The story occurs in the near future (published 1992) set in the 21st Century. It occurs in Los Angeles but that is no longer the United States. Private organizations are running it. There is the urban landscape, infrastructure and security. There is also the metaverse which is a successor to the internet or virtual reality space and it is populated with avatars. The protagonist, named Hiro Protagonist is a hacker and creator of the much of the metaverse. The other character is a girl skateboard Kourier named Y.T. or Yours Truly. There is a virus (or mind drug) called snow crash that if you are a hacker and you look at the bit map, you fry your brain and your computer crashes. Raven is trying to distribute this virus to the hackers. A friend, Da5id takes the stuff. Then there is a whole lot of stuff about Sumarian culture (language) and religion and the tower of Babel. There is a lot of technology in the book. This is my second novel by American author Neal Stephenson. My first was Cryptonomicon. I liked that one more than this but this one was more cyberpunk and fantasy and Crypto was more war and code. This book had a way too many Fbombs and a sex scene which I did not think were necessary for the story. Overall, very entertaining. Impressed with this author.

message 2: by Ferris (new)

Ferris Mx | 11 comments One of my favorite authors. I also recommend Anathem, and Seveneves has grown on me in my memory.

Since it was written in 1992, it is really an imagining of the first internet, There's wasn't much of an internet when Stephenson wrote this.

message 3: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments Ironman wrote: "One of my favorite authors. I also recommend Anathem, and Seveneves has grown on me in my memory.

Since it was written in 1992, it is really an imagining of the first internet, There's wasn't much..."

Agree, I think the author is brilliant. While he wasn't the first to come up with the concept of internet and avatars, the book was the reason for its popularity as a term.