Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
This topic is about The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd > Agatha Christie's Detectives

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments Let's discuss Agatha Christie's various detectives!

Charlene Morris | 1145 comments Mod
Margaret Rutherford played Miss Marple in four films in the 1960s. Murder She Said (4:50 from Paddington), Murder at the Gallop, Murder Ahoy, and Murder Most Foul

message 4: by Ginny (new) - added it

Ginny (burmisgal) | 190 comments Under my father's influence, I became devoted to the crime genre via Nero Wolfe, Perry Mason, Lew Archer, etc. The American misogynists. So Agatha Christie was my first experience of a very different style, and written by a woman! I remember adoring Miss Marple, and continued to follow crime writers enthusiastically, especially women. Since I retired, I have moved away from the genre and find much of the newer work I pick up very poorly written. I haven't read a Poirot mystery for many, many years, and so far am enjoying it. What is it about Poirot that makes him an appealing character?

Charlene Morris | 1145 comments Mod
Ginny wrote: "Under my father's influence, I became devoted to the crime genre via Nero Wolfe, Perry Mason, Lew Archer, etc. The American misogynists. So Agatha Christie was my first experience of a very differe..."

After thinking on this for a while, I don't think there is a simple explanation for why Poirot is an appealing detective.

message 6: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - added it

☯Emily  Ginder | 1162 comments Mod
This is a quiz for Christie lovers: http://entertainment.howstuffworks.co...

Siarhei Siniak (siarheisiniak) I liked the detective we choosed for monthly reading. It was the first time to read anything by Agatha Christie. The style and narrative is good. Yet I smiled, when found the reading to be similar to Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, this was mistake or perhaps intentional calculation by the author.

I was influenced partially by childhood memories of watching this story on TV screen. Yet all I only remember few scenes and of course the image of Hercuile Poirot played by the actor.