Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Fantasy > Review

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (last edited Oct 02, 2016 06:11PM) (new)

Kristin Vincent (kristinkitty) Hey there! I'm looking to do a free review for my book Eraden Tales
Eraden Tales and the Sword of Black Light by Kristin Vincent

message 2: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 541 comments Kristin wrote: "Alight then, if anyone wants to review my book, they can just let me know.

Also, if anyone else has a book they'd like reviewed, *unrelated to this above topic*, I'd be interesting in checking it out"

Still sounds like a review swap to me.

At the end of the day it's your KDP account, but be aware Amazon is cracking down. Authors aren't allowed to review other authors. It's in Amazon's TOS, which I would assume all indie authors have read and understood before they hit publish, so they know what they can and can't do. If your activity is deemed suspicious it can result in your account being banned without warning.

If you really want reviews then there are R4R groups here on GR, just find one that takes your genre, read the guidelines and offer your title to readers. Just watch out for unethical author review swap groups, which masquerade as legit R4R groups (they're not). You can also buy a spot with a NetGalley co-opt for a month or two.

The other thing you could do is simply sell more books and let reviews roll in organically.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 151 comments Where do you get the idea that authors can't legitimately review other authors? We are consumers too.

A.W. this argument has happened on many forums, many times on goodreads, and they all end up the same way. Some poor newbie author makes a post such as the one above and people jump on them like a ton of bricks with threats of dire consequences.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If peer review groups were outside goodreads/amazon TOS do you think they would still be going?

Peer review groups on amazon.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/... 1000 members Active since 2013.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/... 1000 members. Active since 1013.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/... 2,500 members. Active since 2012.

Amazon has owned goodreads since 2013. They know about the above.

message 4: by Mellie (last edited Oct 03, 2016 11:13AM) (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 541 comments Emma wrote: "Where do you get the idea that authors can't legitimately review other authors?"

From Amazon's TOS and review guidelines. I didn't make it up, as you seem to be implying.

Author review swaps are unethical and in violation of Amazon's TOS and review guidelines.

Authors reviewing other authors (non reciprocal) is also not allowed and against Amazon's review guidelines as it is considered a review of a competing product (especially when authors review in the same genre, and again not allowed).

I'm well aware that there are a number of author review swap groups on Goodreads. Participating authors like to disguise them by calling them other things, like peer review or indie support groups. Just because GR let's the groups exist doesn't make what they are doing correct, ethical, or allowed. The authors involved are in violation of Amazon's TOS if they are posting reviews to Amazon. And as I said, Amazon is cracking down, such reviews are being deleted and some people have received warnings their KDP accounts will be banned due to suspicious review activity.

As a reader, such unethical/desperate authors are usually quite easy to spot. You just look at the (usually just a handful) of ratings on their books and ... SURPRISE... the 5-stars all come from other authors. Funny how they never seem to have a range of organic reviews from genuine readers.

message 5: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Fry | 349 comments A.W. wrote: "Authors reviewing other authors (non reciprocal) [sic] is also not allowed and against Amazon's review guidelines as it is considered a review of a competing product (especially when authors review in the same genre, and again not allowed)."

Funny. When I go to this link, https://www.amazon.com/gp/community-h... it says, "2. Are authors allowed to review other authors’ books?
Yes. Authors are welcome to submit Customer Reviews, unless the reviewing author has a personal relationship with the author of the book being reviewed, or was involved in the book’s creation process (i.e. as a co-author, editor, illustrator, etc.). If so, that author isn't eligible to write a Customer Review for that book."

So, do you have a link directly to Amazon where we can see that it says, "Authors reviewing other authors (non reciprocal) is also not allowed and against Amazon's review guidelines as it is considered a review of a competing product (especially when authors review in the same genre, and again not allowed)."?

message 6: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments Just a word to add to what Dwayne already said so well, these R4R groups on GR consist of both readers AND authors. Just can't win, heh? Authors are everywhere. ;)