The Malazan Fallen discussion

Return of the Crimson Guard (Novels of the Malazan Empire, #2)
This topic is about Return of the Crimson Guard
Group Read - Return of the C G > RotCG - Book Two, Chapter Five - NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Discussion thread for Book two, chapter Five. Please use spoiler tags

message 2: by Carl (last edited Oct 06, 2016 03:48AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Carl | 36 comments I really enjoyed seeing the power and effectiveness of Braven Tooth's naming of people. We already know he's given pretty much every Malazan regular his 'real name' but the speed at which everyone else picks it up and call Nait, Jumpy is really funny. :D

Eugenio | 108 comments Well another huge chapter, and another huge info dump!
>Cawn has been sacked by the CG but Laseen and the Malazans will not be outdone and have "borrowed" Cawn's hidden cache of gold.
>>Jumping between the Upper Malazans and the Ground Crew with Tinsmith and co. moves the story along well. Introducing Master Sergeant Temp 'Clozup' and Braven Tooth gives the Ground Crew much needed veteran assistance
>>Possum looking to kill his second in command Coil if they both survive the conflict with the Talian League and the CG; maybe Braven Tooth should name Possum 'Jumpy' instead
>Mallick naming an honest captain to Fist and then ordering "50% to each" for disputes coming to his attention; I sure hope this comes back around and bites him in the butt!
>Kyle approached by The Crippled God (TCG) and lo and behold, TCG wants Kyle's sword! {TCG has a thing for swords over in BotF} Before Kyle did anything foolish, the Queen of Dreams interferes! How is Kyle still alive with all these gods?!?
>> Brethren are Avowed who speak from the dead; very interesting
>>The Lost Boys uncover a tomb and a body but it isn't confirmed: was that K'azz in there?!?
>Ereko.... Kalor... wow, sad turn of events, was not expecting that. Traveller kept his promise to not interfere but that will weigh heavily on him.
>> Jan, new Lost Boy boat member, has Travellers attention; WHO IS HE?? I seem to ask that a lot!
>The assault of Ryllandaras on Li Heng! Storo's plan to leave Toc in the broken Outer Round with the beast backfired as Toc used the same tactic and opened a passage into the Inner Round! Really great bit of storytelling here
>>Rell is able to stand toe to toe with Ryllandaras and munitions can scare it off! Here Hurl reminds me of Fiddler and Hedge! Toc's statement that Rell is a Seguleh: what level was he before he lost his mask? I need that story!!
>there is a ton more story, with a ton more detail, some good, some bad:
>>Wickans and Rillish was interesting
>>more on the CG politics, looks like Skinner wants the Throne
>>Pit crew is cleaning off Otatoral dust so they can use their warrens safely (interesting but will the Jade Giant come into play again?!)
>>Liss's odd comment in Li Heng "it's up to me to do something" can't wait!!
>>Traveller and Ammanas and Cotillion and Hounds and Liossercal was in the sword and Kyle is still alive!!! Yikes!!
INFO OVERLOAD!!

message 4: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think I have the right chapter, busy trying to catch up. But this is huge: traveler and kallor fighting it out;

Traveller sheathed his sword. "That was long overdue for another friend."

Probably the biggest clue to who Traveler is. Need to look back on my Kallor history, one obvious death caused by him, but not sure on how that timing world, so going back to when he was cursed.

Eugenio | 108 comments I was thinking that comment was for the Bridgeburner Kallor cut down over in BotF that revealed Kallor for the backstabber he truly was. I will need to go back to see how the 3 who cursed Kallor; and in turn were also cursed; could be connected to who Traveller is

message 6: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 4 stars

I also think it was so with the bridgeburners death, which certainly has me convinced.

Ill post under spoiler tags soon

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 163 comments Finished part 2 chapter 5. By far the best chapter of the book to date.

Just the scenes with Kallor and Traveller and then Traveller, Shadowthrone, Cotillion and Osserc made it worth it. Esselmont was so cryptic on certain things. Love the "long overdue for another friend" line referencing the betrayal of Whiskey. Any appearance by the Crippled God is always welcome.

Who the hell is Jan?
Who is Traveller after?

Instant thought Laseen but she has so many enemies circling the wagons. I think she's done before the end of this book. It's not Skinner who I have to believe is going to end up in league with TCG.

Ryllandaras is a fantastic character. That imagery of the soldiers fighting each other and then this jaguar hell best is awesome.

I had Rell pegged as a Seguleh and I'm wondering if he was one of the three from Lady Envy, Toc and Tool's journey?

Osserc as was speculated was the Wind Father. Interesting how TCG wanted that sword so badly and knew.

You know what the difference between SE and ICE is? Kyle and Ereko would have had us bawling and Kyle and Traveller parting would have been twice as sad. SE just grinds the empathy out of you.

message 8: by Scott (last edited Nov 22, 2016 05:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 163 comments Eugenio wrote: "I was thinking that comment was for the Bridgeburner Kallor cut down over in BotF that revealed Kallor for the backstabber he truly was. I will need to go back to see how the 3 who cursed Kallor; a..."

That was definitely a comment for (view spoiler)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 163 comments Lee wrote: "Probably the biggest clue to who Traveler is. Need to look back on my Kallor history, one obvious death caused by him, but not sure on how that timing world, so going back to when he was cursed.."

Traveller's identity was more or less spelled out in HOC and again in NOK. His comment to Kyle about Kallor was definitely in reference to his duplicity in MOI.

Eugenio | 108 comments Argh I want to see the spoiler!!! Mobile doesn't work with it!

Yes SE would have milked the tears out of us with Ereko death. Ereko going so easily was a little confusing but if he was this old he must have reserved himself to not give Kallor any satisfaction in the killing.

Traveller's reveal is basically spelled out later in the book.

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 163 comments I PM'd you the spoiler.

I already know both of Traveller's other identities.

Eugenio | 108 comments 2 identities? I thought he only has 1 other name...

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 163 comments Eugenio wrote: "2 identities? I thought he only has 1 other name..."

(view spoiler)

Eugenio | 108 comments (view spoiler)

Spoiler tags are so much fun, but a pain for mobile use!