The Malazan Fallen discussion

Return of the Crimson Guard (Novels of the Malazan Empire, #2)
This topic is about Return of the Crimson Guard
Group Read - Return of the C G > RotCG - Book Two, Chapter Two - NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Book two, chapter two thread. Please use spoiler tags.

Eugenio | 108 comments Book2Chapter2 and the first chapter fully self contained, based around the Crimson Guard (CG) invasion of Unta!

Laseen's plan in allowing the CG into Unta and all the way to the palace before springing an ambush worked in repelling them but at the cost of massive damage to the city! Should Cowl and Skinner have stuck around, I don't think the mob forces would have had any chance!

Where did Skinner and Cowl go? Hood's Realm?!? Why?

Splitting up the story between the CG, Malazan GroundCrew (Tinsmith & co.) and Malazan UpperLeague (Mallick, Possum, Tayschrenn, Laseem), this gave us a lot of choices for people to root for and against on both sides of the conflict! Kiska and Hattar are back from NoK, and they will be watching Mallick (oh I hate him). Possum tries a maneuver and ends up gut slashed. And Tay.... does nothing?

Tay not taking part, I don't know. What is his end game? What is he saving himself for?

This book has made me rooting for the CG, but when Tinsmith & co. whipped that Avowed named Black off the wharf, I was impressed. Black's threat to find them sure did sound like a vow, and we do see how persistent these Avowed are with vows! Tinsmith better be careful, I'm rooting for you now!

Final question because I am lost here. Who was the last mystery woman that Possum encountered?
1 - Laseen took out the Avowed barehanded (Damn she is a force to be reckoned with)
2 - Kiska was there viewing the encounter (either as the grey Claw or as the woman holding Possum back from interfering; hereafter named Possum-Stopper)
3 - who was the third? (Either the grey Claw or Possum-Stopper depending which is Kiska)

I am thinking it might be the new High Mage/librarian but I can't tell. What do you think?

message 3: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Final question because I am lost here. Who was the last mystery woman that Possum encountered?
1 - Laseen took out the Avowed barehanded (Damn she is a force to be reckoned with)
2 - Kiska was there viewing the encounter (either as the grey Claw or as the woman holding Possum back from interfering; hereafter named Possum-Stopper)
3 - who was the third? (Either the grey Claw or Possum-Stopper depending which is Kiska)

So, with 1, yes, Surly was at one stage head of Claw, so you'd imagine her skills to be unique, given that everyone is scared of her, you can imagine she'd be up there as one of the the top claws.

Kiska's part was interesting, as we have seen nothing of her right? then suddenly she is in there much more matured and 'past' beign a Claw.

could the third be Sorry? Or are we passed that in timeline?

Eugenio | 108 comments I think we are past the point in the timeline when she is still called Sorry. Now, if Apsalar is there on behalf of Cottilion, then maybe yes, that could work. I do not know if we ever get all confirmation on Apsalar's whereabouts over in BotF.