Keep It Diverse discussion

The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl from Everywhere, #1)
This topic is about The Girl from Everywhere
October '16 > The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig- SPOILERS AHEAD

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)  (mariannelee) | 10 comments Mod
Hi, everyone! Did you finish reading The Girl from Everywhere? Are you currently reading it and there's a part you really want to discuss?

Then come here and discuss! Careful though, there will be spoilers!

Eleanor (ontheothersideofreality) Could someone please explain the whole Auntie Joss time travel thing? I think I got it, but I'm not sure.

Other than that, I really really loved this book! Nix is a strong heroine of color who doesn't become annoying, and all the characters were really likable (sans Slate, but I doubt he was supposed to be). Plus, the concept and setting were so unique! And I love how the author brought in elements from both Kash and Nix's cultures without letting it define them entirely. Nix wasn't "The Hawaiian character", she was "the half-Hawaiian aspiring ship captain". That's something I think needs to happen more in diverse books.

Laura (lanakilah) I'm on chapter 14 (38%) and so far it was enough to hold my attention but if it doesn't start getting sorted out, it will be a difficult read for me. Also, am I sensing a love triangle? Please say no, I hate triangles.

JK I'm Exploring (jkimexploring) I finished this book a couple days ago and I didn't love it as much as I wanted to. I loved Nix and Kashmir, but I found the writing to jump around a lot, almost as though the author thought we knew what was happening because she could see it so well in her mind. There were just times, especially in the beginning in which I was really confused. At other times I was very into the story and couldn't be taken out of it.

The maps were amazing! I absolutely love when books have illustrations and maps to add to the story.

I did have a question though: Auntie Joss said they couldn't use that map because Nix was in Hawaii at that time, but then Nix, Kash etc. were all on the island when Blake made the map to bring them back for the robbery, so how can they get back? If that question made any sense at all.

Avery (Book Deviant) (bookdeviant) Jenna wrote: "I finished this book a couple days ago and I didn't love it as much as I wanted to. I loved Nix and Kashmir, but I found the writing to jump around a lot, almost as though the author thought we kne..."

I agree with the writing jumping around! I just finished it this afternoon, and that was one of the main things that made me iffy when I rated the book. I also didn't much enjoy Blake's character, but Kashmir was hilarious! (Am I the only one who found the love triangle a little annoying?)

Morgan Blanch (hopelessbookaddict) Avery, yes to the love triangle! I was already super attached to Kashmir, and then Blake came in and he just annoyed me.
I was also really disappointed by how little Swag (the sea dragon) was in the story. I felt like he was just dredged up when it was convenient and then forgotten :/

Avery (Book Deviant) (bookdeviant) Morgan wrote: "Avery, yes to the love triangle! I was already super attached to Kashmir, and then Blake came in and he just annoyed me.
I was also really disappointed by how little Swag (the sea dragon) was in t..."

Exactly! And with Swag too-I was ecstatic when I read that there was a dragon, but then he was just forgotten at the end! It literally said that he disappeared, and then it never brought him back up, and it was so disappointing.

JK I'm Exploring (jkimexploring) I feel as though Swag could have been a much bigger part of the book and then I knew Blake was supposed to be a part of the love triangle but I just never saw a romantic connection between the two and then she kisses him and I remember thinking "ohhh so she was supposed to like him"

Avery (Book Deviant) (bookdeviant) Jenna wrote: "I feel as though Swag could have been a much bigger part of the book and then I knew Blake was supposed to be a part of the love triangle but I just never saw a romantic connection between the two ..."

Exactly. I never saw anything between Nix and Blake at all.

And sorry for ignoring your earlier question; I think with Blake penning the map for them in a time they were in was bending the rules a little, and Heilig may have known that. Nix mentions that it could have been hours or days that they've been gone by the time they get back, so it could be possible that they came back by the time they had already left.

....does that even make sense. This whole time traveling thing always confusing me, especially with Aunt Joss and her involvement with everything. I'm still trying to puzzle out her timeline with everything, and how she works into Nix's life.

Laura (lanakilah) I finished the book! I LOVED all the history and how it was actually based in REAL history! I also liked Nix and Kashmir but the love triangle killed me... ugh I hate love triangles!

I'm super confused with the time-line and Auntie Joss' role omg