The History Book Club discussion

Washington: A Life
This topic is about Washington
PRESIDENTIAL SERIES > WEEK ELEVEN - SPOTLIGHT - Presidential Series - WASHINGTON, A LIFE - December 5th - December 11th - Chapters SIXTY-ONE through Chapters SIXTY-SEVEN - 740 - 817 - No Spoilers, Please

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teri (new) - added it

Teri (teriboop) Hello Everyone,

For the week of December 5th - December 11th, we are reading the Chapters Sixty-One through Sixty-Seven of Washington, A Life by Ron Chernow.

The eleventh week's reading assignment is:

Week Eleven - December 5th - December 11th
Chapter Sixty-One - Sixty-Seven - (pages 740 - 817)

We will open up a thread for each week's reading. Please make sure to post in the particular thread dedicated to those specific chapters and page numbers to avoid spoilers. We will also open up supplemental threads as we did for other spotlighted books.

This book is being kicked off on September 26th.

We look forward to your participation. Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other noted on line booksellers do have copies of the book and shipment can be expedited. The book can also be obtained easily at your local library, local bookstore or on your Kindle. This weekly thread will be opened up December 5th.

There is no rush and we are thrilled to have you join us. It is never too late to get started and/or to post.

Bentley will be moderating this discussion and Assisting Moderators Teri, Jill, and Samanta will be backups.

Welcome,

~Bentley

TO ALWAYS SEE ALL WEEKS' THREADS SELECT VIEW ALL

Washington A Life by Ron Chernow by Ron Chernow Ron Chernow

REMEMBER NO SPOILERS ON THE WEEKLY NON SPOILER THREADS - ON EACH WEEKLY NON SPOILER THREAD - WE ONLY DISCUSS THE PAGES ASSIGNED OR THE PAGES WHICH WERE COVERED IN PREVIOUS WEEKS. IF YOU GO AHEAD OR WANT TO ENGAGE IN MORE EXPANSIVE DISCUSSION - POST THOSE COMMENTS IN ONE OF THE SPOILER THREADS. THESE CHAPTERS HAVE A LOT OF INFORMATION SO WHEN IN DOUBT CHECK WITH THE CHAPTER OVERVIEW AND SUMMARY TO RECALL WHETHER YOUR COMMENTS ARE ASSIGNMENT SPECIFIC. EXAMPLES OF SPOILER THREADS ARE THE GLOSSARY, THE BIBLIOGRAPHY, THE INTRODUCTION AND THE BOOK AS A WHOLE THREADS.

Notes:

It is always a tremendous help when you quote specifically from the book itself and reference the chapter and page numbers when responding. The text itself helps folks know what you are referencing and makes things clear.

Citations:

If an author or book is mentioned other than the book and author being discussed, citations must be included according to our guidelines. Also, when citing other sources, please provide credit where credit is due and/or the link. There is no need to re-cite the author and the book we are discussing however.

If you need help - here is a thread called the Mechanics of the Board which will show you how:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Also the citation thread:

Introduction Thread:

Table of Contents and Syllabus

Glossary

Remember there is a glossary thread where ancillary information is placed by the moderator. This is also a thread where additional information can be placed by the group members regarding the subject matter being discussed.

Bibliography

There is a Bibliography where books cited in the text are posted with proper citations and reviews. We also post the books that the author used in his research or in his notes. Please also feel free to add to the Bibliography thread any related books, etc with proper citations. No self promotion, please. We will be adding to this thread as we read along.

Book as a Whole and Final Thoughts - SPOILER THREAD

Washington A Life by Ron Chernow by Ron Chernow Ron Chernow

message 2: by Teri (new) - added it

Teri (teriboop) Everyone, for the week of December 5th - December 11th, we are reading the Chapter(s) 61 - 67 of Washington: A Life

The Eleventh week's reading assignment is:

Week Eleven - December 5th - December 11th
Chapter(s) Sixty-One - Sixty-Seven - pages 740 - 818

Chapter Overview and Summary:

Chapter 61: The Colossus of the People
In the aftermath of the Jay Treaty, Washington was crucified in the press, often in essays written by people who were once some of his strongest supporters, such as Madison, Monroe, and Jefferson.

Chapter 62: The Master of Farewells
Determined not to run for president again, Washington had Hamilton help him write a farewell address that would be published in several newspapers in the fall of 1796.

Chapter 63: Exiting the Stage
In March of 1797, Washington attended Adam's before leaving Philadelphia for retirement at Mount Vernon.

Chapter 64: Samson and Solomon
Hamilton and Washington often discussed the growing tensions with France in the aftermath of the XYZ Affair, pledging to lead an army together should it come to that. Therefore, when Adams approached Washington to lead a new federal army, Washington insisted on having Hamilton as his second in command. Adams openly protested this choice, causing a battle of wits between the two men before Adams finally backed down.

Chapter 65: A Mind on the Stretch
With the passing of the Alien and Sedition Acts and the public scandal surrounding Hamilton, the Federalists began to lose some of their credibility by 1799. Even though he had sworn he would never move more than twenty-five miles from Mount Vernon again, party leaders began to ask Washington to run for a third term as president. Washington refused.

Chapter 66: Freedom
Washington had always struggled with slavery, aware that it was an antiquated institution, but unsure of how to maintain such a large plantation without slaves. In the final months of his life, Washington painstakingly wrote out a new will by hand. Washington gave his slaves their freedom upon his wife's death in his will.

Chapter 67: Homecoming
Washington became ill in mid-December of 1799, struggling to breathe. After three doctors did all they knew for him, Washington passed away late in the afternoon of December 14, 1799. Washington was entombed in a communal tomb at Mount Vernon and joined a few years later by Martha.

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 44168 comments Mod
Folks we will continue this and get caught up - there is no rush and this is a great book - I was just out handling personal situations.

Harmke I so agreed with the sum-up of George Washington in the final chapter on page 812. It was very nice to get to know the first American president better. It gave me a better understanding on the American government, American politics and American tradition/history.

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Yes Harmke - how "it is supposed to work" and presidential qualities that honor our institutions, tradition and culture.

Vincent (vpbrancato) | 1245 comments so the finale comes but what a fellow he was - GW & Martha maybe lose some moral high ground with Ona Judge in Chapter 62 - but all in all GW is my/our hero.

I did not know that he was the fellow who was call "first in war, first in peace and first in the hearts of his countrymen"

This is a great book - took me long to read - timing together so many facts - factors - people - particulars of our development as a country and really showing how individuals pulled it thru - maybe, from the beginning of the Revolutionary War, by GW.

Carol Dobson | 94 comments It is always sad to read of the 18th century's predilection for bleeding a patient. It must have contributed to the death of many. Washington evidently lost 5 pints, it is thought, and it will never be known if otherwise he might have survived the illness. Dr Dick's idea of a tracheotomy might also well have saved him.

Carol Dobson | 94 comments It is interesting to know Washington had kept both wills and as Chernow says "it may suggest some last-minute wavering on the manumission issue."

Carol Dobson | 94 comments A fine book and very well written. I was interested to see what the last sentence was, and I thought it fitted the book perfectly and gave the right sense of'closure'.

message 10: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Carol and Vincent - I think it is never too late to complete a book at the History Book Club and everybody can move at their own pace.

I am delighted that you liked this fine book. A fabulous book which I hope everybody else will finish. I cannot say enough about it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Washington: A Life (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ron Chernow (other topics)