The History Book Club discussion

Washington: A Life
This topic is about Washington
PRESIDENTIAL SERIES > WEEK TEN - SPOTLIGHT - Presidential Series - WASHINGTON, A LIFE - November 28th - December 4th - Chapters FIFTY-FOUR through Chapters SIXTY - 656 - 739 - No Spoilers, Please

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teri (new) - added it

Teri (teriboop) Hello Everyone,

For the week of November 28th - December 4th, we are reading the Chapters Fifty-Four through Sixty of Washington, A Life by Ron Chernow.

The tenth week's reading assignment is:

Week Ten - November 28th - December 4th
Chapter Fifty-Four - Sixty - (pages 656 - 739)

We will open up a thread for each week's reading. Please make sure to post in the particular thread dedicated to those specific chapters and page numbers to avoid spoilers. We will also open up supplemental threads as we did for other spotlighted books.

This book is being kicked off on September 26th.

We look forward to your participation. Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other noted on line booksellers do have copies of the book and shipment can be expedited. The book can also be obtained easily at your local library, local bookstore or on your Kindle. This weekly thread will be opened up November 28th.

There is no rush and we are thrilled to have you join us. It is never too late to get started and/or to post.

Bentley will be moderating this discussion and Assisting Moderators Teri, Jill, and Samanta will be backups.

Welcome,

~Bentley

TO ALWAYS SEE ALL WEEKS' THREADS SELECT VIEW ALL

Washington A Life by Ron Chernow by Ron Chernow Ron Chernow

REMEMBER NO SPOILERS ON THE WEEKLY NON SPOILER THREADS - ON EACH WEEKLY NON SPOILER THREAD - WE ONLY DISCUSS THE PAGES ASSIGNED OR THE PAGES WHICH WERE COVERED IN PREVIOUS WEEKS. IF YOU GO AHEAD OR WANT TO ENGAGE IN MORE EXPANSIVE DISCUSSION - POST THOSE COMMENTS IN ONE OF THE SPOILER THREADS. THESE CHAPTERS HAVE A LOT OF INFORMATION SO WHEN IN DOUBT CHECK WITH THE CHAPTER OVERVIEW AND SUMMARY TO RECALL WHETHER YOUR COMMENTS ARE ASSIGNMENT SPECIFIC. EXAMPLES OF SPOILER THREADS ARE THE GLOSSARY, THE BIBLIOGRAPHY, THE INTRODUCTION AND THE BOOK AS A WHOLE THREADS.

Notes:

It is always a tremendous help when you quote specifically from the book itself and reference the chapter and page numbers when responding. The text itself helps folks know what you are referencing and makes things clear.

Citations:

If an author or book is mentioned other than the book and author being discussed, citations must be included according to our guidelines. Also, when citing other sources, please provide credit where credit is due and/or the link. There is no need to re-cite the author and the book we are discussing however.

If you need help - here is a thread called the Mechanics of the Board which will show you how:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Also the citation thread:

Introduction Thread:

Table of Contents and Syllabus

Glossary

Remember there is a glossary thread where ancillary information is placed by the moderator. This is also a thread where additional information can be placed by the group members regarding the subject matter being discussed.

Bibliography

There is a Bibliography where books cited in the text are posted with proper citations and reviews. We also post the books that the author used in his research or in his notes. Please also feel free to add to the Bibliography thread any related books, etc with proper citations. No self promotion, please. We will be adding to this thread as we read along.

Book as a Whole and Final Thoughts - SPOILER THREAD

Washington A Life by Ron Chernow by Ron Chernow Ron Chernow

message 2: by Teri (new) - added it

Teri (teriboop) Everyone, for the week of November 28th - December 4th, we are reading the Chapter(s) 54 - 60 of Washington: A Life

The Tenth week's reading assignment is:

Week Ten - November 28th - December 4th
Chapter(s) Fifty-Four - Sixty - pages 656 - 739

Chapter Overview and Summary:

Chapter 54: Running into Extremes
In the early years of Washington's presidency the French Revolution began. Many Americans felt that the American government should get involved to support the rebels, but Washington maintained a watchful stance. At the same time, Washington was involved in the designing and construction of the new capital as well as designing a policy in dealing with the Indians in western territories.

Chapter 55: A Tissue of Machinations
Jefferson and Madison created a party known as the republicans who argued that Hamilton's Federalists supported a monarchy in America. As Washington continued to support Hamilton's policies even amongst questionable acts involving the federal bank system, republicans began to publish attacks against Washington in newspapers. About this same time, Washington began thinking about retiring from public office. However, Jefferson and Madison strongly urged Washington to remain in office.

Chapter 56: Citizen Genet
As Washington's second term in office began Hamilton was placed under investigation by Congress. Although cleared of all charges, this episode increased tensions between Hamilton and Jeffersonians. At the same time, atrocities continued to pile up in France. Washington made the decision to issue a neutrality proclamation as France declared war on England to prevent America from being forced to choose between the two powers. At the same time, France sent a new French minister to America, Edmond-Charles Genet. Genet created a great deal of trouble in America. Finally Genet was recalled to France to face trial for his crimes, but Washington gave him asylum in America.

Chapter 57: Bring Out Your Dead
In the summer of 1793 a yellow fever broke out in the capital, causing the government to abandon the city. Washington spent some time at Mount Vernon during this time before calling Congress into session in a temporary location.

Chapter 58: Hercules in the Field
As war continued to wage between France and England, Washington found himself forced to send an envoy, John Jay, to England to stop the seizing of American ships and the imprisonment of American citizens who were thought to be British deserters. At the same time, Washington found himself forced to deal with his Indian policy. The overwhelming problem Washington had to deal with in the summer of 1794, however, was a rebellion in Virginia and Pennsylvania against the whiskey tax. As Washington prepared to confront the rebels, Henry Knox returned home to deal with a personal matter, therefore Washington took Hamilton with him.

Chapter 59: Crowns and Coronets
Washington spoke with representatives of the whiskey rebels first, then sent his troops in. The rebels immediately dispersed. In the aftermath of the rebellion, Washington showed a great deal of displeasure in Knox, causing Knox to resign from his role as secretary of war.

Chapter 60: Mad Dog
John Jay reached a treaty with the British, later known as the Jay Treaty, that included some highly controversial concessions to the British that angered a great deal of people. Although the treaty passed both houses of the Congress, the American people voiced great outrage, causing Washington to delay in signing it. At the same time, Washington found himself in a difficult situation when Lafayette's son came to America as well as struggling to fill vacant secretary posts as Hamilton had also resigned.

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 44168 comments Mod
Folks we will continue this and get caught up - there is no rush and this is a great book - I was just out handling personal situations.

Harmke How is everybody thinking on the use of Masonic rituals when Washington installed the first stone of the Capitol? In Europe, Masonry has a mysterious name and the use of Masonic rituals during an official public event would never have been allowed.

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I think I answered this on another thread - no need to post it on multiple threads

Harmke Bentley wrote: "I think I answered this on another thread - no need to post it on multiple threads"

Thanks Bentley, I will check it out.

Vincent (vpbrancato) | 1245 comments These chapters are showing how GW really led many establishments of protocols in the presidency, in the country, as he was the first Pres.

So his steady self control was probably critical to the stability that has followed. This was also a time that the joint goal of defeating the British got diluted as time passed and old alliances grew to be separate visions of how to organize and run the young country.

Also with the yellow fever in Phila we see the uncertainty of the times -

The Whiskey rebellion and the quashing of same - GW still - always the hero -

Makes one wonder what if AH had been American born too.

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Yes, I agree about Hamilton.

Doris (webgeekstress) | 143 comments I'm late in catching up here. I'm now in the midst of Chapter 56, and I find myself becoming seriously indignant on Washington's behalf at his treatment at the hands of the Jeffersonians. I have to restrain myself from hurling the book at the nearest wall, which, since I'm reading this on the Kindle, would be a extremely bad idea! I think I'm going to have to put this aside for a little while until my temper cools down.

message 10: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Very funny Doris and I agree with you.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Washington: A Life (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ron Chernow (other topics)