The History Book Club discussion

Washington: A Life
This topic is about Washington
PRESIDENTIAL SERIES > WEEK SIX - SPOTLIGHT - Presidential Series - WASHINGTON, A LIFE - October 31st - November 6th - Chapters THIRTY through Chapters THIRTY-FOUR - 358 - 423 - No Spoilers, Please

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teri (new) - added it

Teri (teriboop) Hello Everyone,

For the week of October 31st - November 6th, we are reading the Chapters Thirty through Thirty-Four of Washington, A Life by Ron Chernow.

The sixth week's reading assignment is:

Week Six - October 31st - November 6th
Chapter Thirty - Thirty-Four - (pages 358 - 423)

We will open up a thread for each week's reading. Please make sure to post in the particular thread dedicated to those specific chapters and page numbers to avoid spoilers. We will also open up supplemental threads as we did for other spotlighted books.

This book is being kicked off on September 26th.

We look forward to your participation. Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other noted on line booksellers do have copies of the book and shipment can be expedited. The book can also be obtained easily at your local library, local bookstore or on your Kindle. This weekly thread will be opened up October 31st.

There is no rush and we are thrilled to have you join us. It is never too late to get started and/or to post.

Bentley will be moderating this discussion and Assisting Moderators Teri, Jill, and Samanta will be backups.

Welcome,

~Bentley

TO ALWAYS SEE ALL WEEKS' THREADS SELECT VIEW ALL

Washington A Life by Ron Chernow by Ron Chernow Ron Chernow

REMEMBER NO SPOILERS ON THE WEEKLY NON SPOILER THREADS - ON EACH WEEKLY NON SPOILER THREAD - WE ONLY DISCUSS THE PAGES ASSIGNED OR THE PAGES WHICH WERE COVERED IN PREVIOUS WEEKS. IF YOU GO AHEAD OR WANT TO ENGAGE IN MORE EXPANSIVE DISCUSSION - POST THOSE COMMENTS IN ONE OF THE SPOILER THREADS. THESE CHAPTERS HAVE A LOT OF INFORMATION SO WHEN IN DOUBT CHECK WITH THE CHAPTER OVERVIEW AND SUMMARY TO RECALL WHETHER YOUR COMMENTS ARE ASSIGNMENT SPECIFIC. EXAMPLES OF SPOILER THREADS ARE THE GLOSSARY, THE BIBLIOGRAPHY, THE INTRODUCTION AND THE BOOK AS A WHOLE THREADS.

Notes:

It is always a tremendous help when you quote specifically from the book itself and reference the chapter and page numbers when responding. The text itself helps folks know what you are referencing and makes things clear.

Citations:

If an author or book is mentioned other than the book and author being discussed, citations must be included according to our guidelines. Also, when citing other sources, please provide credit where credit is due and/or the link. There is no need to re-cite the author and the book we are discussing however.

If you need help - here is a thread called the Mechanics of the Board which will show you how:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Also the citation thread:

Introduction Thread:

Table of Contents and Syllabus

Glossary

Remember there is a glossary thread where ancillary information is placed by the moderator. This is also a thread where additional information can be placed by the group members regarding the subject matter being discussed.

Bibliography

There is a Bibliography where books cited in the text are posted with proper citations and reviews. We also post the books that the author used in his research or in his notes. Please also feel free to add to the Bibliography thread any related books, etc with proper citations. No self promotion, please. We will be adding to this thread as we read along.

Book as a Whole and Final Thoughts - SPOILER THREAD

Washington A Life by Ron Chernow by Ron Chernow Ron Chernow

message 2: by Teri (new) - added it

Teri (teriboop) Everyone, for the week of October 31st - November 6th, we are reading the Chapter(s) 30 - 34 of Washington: A Life

The sixth week's reading assignment is:

Week Six - October 31st - November 6th
Chapter(s) Thirty - Thirty-Four - pages 358 - 423

Chapter Overview and Summary:

Chapter 30: The Storm Thickens
Washington takes his army into Morristown, New Jersey for winter with a lack of supplies and an unwillingness of locals to provide needed supplies.

Chapter 31: The Traitor
In the spring of 1780, Cornwallis and Clinton take a flotilla to North Carolina. Washington considers a siege of New York. Washington goes to West Point to meet with Benedict Arnold. Arnold disappears from his home and Washington later learned that he had been conspiring with British officials to allow them to capture West Point. Washington made many attempts to find and imprison Arnold, but was never successful.

Chapter 32: Mutiny
Washington's men become disgruntled from lack of pay, lack of food, and lack of clothing. A group of men mutiny and kill their officers.

Chapter 33: Plundering Scoundrels
War rages on in the south, as Washington continues to push for a siege of New York.

Chapter 34: The World Turned Upside Down
While making it appear as though a siege on New York was imminent, Washington slips away to Mount Vernon. Washington arrives just in time to help plan the Battle of Yorktown that would lead to the surrender of the British Army. The country celebrates the end of the Revolutionary War. Washington suffers a personal blow in the death of his stepson, Jacky Custis.

Savannah Jordan | 94 comments I was somewhat amazed that both Washington and Hamilton could be taken in by Arnold's wife's theatrics, but then this was an era of chivalry. Just visited West Point. Was taken aback by the width of the Hudson and how West Point because of its location almost on a bluff seemed to be impenetrable.

Karen (karinlib) I agree with you Savannah, I was surprised that they weren't at least a little suspicious.

Now that I have gotten to this point in the book, I am amazed at Washington's patience during this protracted war. Patience with the ineffective congress, the lack of support from the states, and most of all lack of support from local Americans.

Savannah Jordan | 94 comments Karen wrote: "I agree with you Savannah, I was surprised that they weren't at least a little suspicious.

Now that I have gotten to this point in the book, I am amazed at Washington's patience during this protr..."

Karen, I definitely have a new appreciation of Washington. Always thought he was a great man, but this has made me realize the enormous magnitude of his greatness.

Glynn | 214 comments I was fascinated by the depiction of Peggy Arnold (Chapter 31: The Traitor) and want to read more about that. Anyone know of a good book?

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 44168 comments Mod
Folks we will continue this and get caught up - there is no rush and this is a great book - I was just out handling personal situations.

Vincent (vpbrancato) | 1245 comments Well this was the rest of the war.

We see men under stress - GW pretty constantly - six years away -

The French arrive and not so softly show they are the bosses. People who's names some of us live with - Anthony Wayne if one hikes in Rockland County - also not so far from the Morristown winter quarters (now a park - think a NJ state park)

The revealing of the short lived fault line between Hamilton and GW.

GW having to cope with rebellious troops - how did he get these guys to stay at all?

Dirty dog Benedict Arnold betraying the patriots.

I become more and more in awe of GW -so do I have to read Washington - the indispensable man? I am so far behind so far.

Washington The Indispensable Man by James Thomas Flexner James Thomas Flexner - no photo

I don;t own that book but, unread on a bookshelf, I have Washington on Leadership (bought at a presentation by the author) and I guess I have to find time for that too. Too bad I am now retired - maybe I could have lead myself to greater success.

George Washington on Leadership by Richard Brookhiser Richard Brookhiser

For me this book needs time trying to better understand this man.

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Vincent - very good. It is no problem whatsoever. I agree and that is why it was a longer read and I extended the period of time.

I have to hand it to him - he had a tough crowd to discipline.

Harmke Vincent, thanks for posting on this book. It reminded me that I had some notes that I wanted to share here. I will post on the threads regarding the chapters.

That long winter of waiting in chapter 30 has made some real statesmen. It gave time to work on a vision on the future federal government to men like Washington, Hamilton. The war was won in spring/summer, but the country in winter.

I made a comment on George Washington's vanity in earlier threads: but setting up a team to copy his correspondence on his very specific guidelines so he would be remembered in the right way topped it big time :-)

message 11: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I feel that folks who become president have a focus on their posterity and how they will be remembered - we have presidential libraries now.

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 26 comments I'm late in joining but appreciate all the work put into every discussion. Left off near the end of Chapter 33: Plundering Scoundrels tonight and have enjoyed every minute thus far. What a history lesson this has turned out to be; over the past few years I've read about some of the other players of the time...John Adams, Benjamin Franklin and Benedict Arnold, etc., etc. but this in-depth book gives the period the perspective I was lacking. I'm listening to the story with Scott Brick as the narrator; truly one can't go wrong listening to his strong and dignified voice (since I don't know if the link/photo are of the correct person I didn't add it. If I find that one of the two listed are this narrator I will put in the tags if it is required.).
In a response to your statement above I immediately thought of presidential libraries when GW's papers were discussed.

message 13: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

We are glad to have you. Since the founding fathers mentioned are in the book discussed you do not have to add their citations.

But for Scott Brick as a narrator - you should. I checked to see if he has been added on goodreads and he has - there is a photo and a link.

Very true regarding the presidential libraries - it is a big business now and costs a phenomenal amount to build and maintain. But they do have everlasting importance and appeal to the American people and have an immense historical value.