Uncovered Book Club discussion

October 2016 > The Shining - Part 5: Matters of Life and Death (Ch. 38-58)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maxwell (new)

Maxwell (welldonebooks) | 51 comments Mod
Discussing chs. 38-58

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 4 comments Holy crap I didn't even realise this was the pick for the bookclub! I just finished it for my Popular writing class. I liked it. Not something I'd normally read, not the most beautiful writing but a well thought out book. I love how complex the characters are.

message 3: by Maxwell (new)

Maxwell (welldonebooks) | 51 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "Holy crap I didn't even realise this was the pick for the bookclub! I just finished it for my Popular writing class. I liked it. Not something I'd normally read, not the most beautiful writing but ..."

How was it reading it for a class? Did you have good discussions about it? I would find that so fascinating.

message 4: by Marion (new)

Marion (mariongnd) This book really didn't do it for me. I had never seen the movie, but knew that the book was supposed to be very different, and possibly better.
I found it to be long, not that interesting, and really not scary at all.

I don't know if it just wasn't for me, or if maybe the fact that I read a translation that felt really outdated tainted my enjoyment of it.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Nov 10, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Lisa | 4 comments Maxwell wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Holy crap I didn't even realise this was the pick for the bookclub! I just finished it for my Popular writing class. I liked it. Not something I'd normally read, not the most beautiful..."

It was for a class Popular Writing and Criticism. The object of the course is to acknowledge that just because a book is popular, doesn't mean it doesn't have any value or can't be "literatue" (so basically biting your thumb at literature snobs). Each week looked at a different genre and have to read/watch a popular text that fits in that genre. For our lecture on Horror, we had the Shining.

Basically, we talked about the uncanny and how King uses it to obliterate our concept of family that makes us feel safe, by unraveling the Torrance family. We also talked about masculinity and how it plays a part in Jack's mental disintegration. I actually have to write a 1000 word essay for this for my final exam so wish me luck. :P

Oh, and we discussed King's fame and the controversy over him winning this fancy literature prize (can't remember which). Plus how the critics were up in arms that a mere popular commercial writing peasant could receive such a prestigious award meant exclusively for the true artists of literature. :')

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert sounds cool - would you be able to tell me the other titles? if out of topic maybe via pm?

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 4 comments You mean the other titles we discussed in the course?

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Yes :)

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 4 comments For Week 2, reading love (Romance genre): The Kiss by Kathryn Harrison
For Week 3 , reading frontiers (western genre): True Grit, the newest movie with Matt Damon
For Week 4, reading myth (supernatural/vampire genre): Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice
For Week 5, reading magic (magical realism): The Passion by Jeanette Winterson
For Week 6, reading crime (crime/ detective novel): The Blach Dahlia by James Ellroy
For Week 8, reading futures (science fiction genre): District 9 film
For Week 9, reading horror: The Shining by Steven King (obviously)
For Week 10, reading history (historical fiction) by Sarah Waters
For Week 11, reading social realism: We need to talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver (my personal favourite out of the texts).

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert thanks a lot!!!!!