Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > Can you recommend a cure?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2761 comments I have a terrible book hangover. I so fell in love with A Gentleman in Moscow that nothing else appeals to me or holds my interest. I'm not sure if I need some hair of the dog, a palate cleanser or an intervention.

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments What I do when this happens to me is rearrange my bookshelves. By doing this, I rediscover some of those books that I lost enthusiasm for after I got them home (or downloaded them). It doesn't always work, but usually I find something to catch my interest.

message 3: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5505 comments It is a challenge to find something to read when you have a book hangover as nothing can quite measure up.

I'm going to suggest something that will not measure up and doesn't claim, but does have a strong protagonist which you can empathize with, but is probably not on the same level as the gentleman. I suggest The Misremembered Man.

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7716 comments I recommend something similar to BnB -- read something different that you know will not compare from a literature POV but perhaps something fast-paced and entertaining that you know you will enjoy.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8292 comments When I have deeply loved a book, often I need distance to honor it. I actually do the impossible and not pick up a new one until I feel ready and softly invited. Getting in there again has to feel right. Can't wait to read it myself. I'm in love with the anticipation of it.

message 6: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2761 comments I do seem to be able to shift my books, both physical and virtual. I've been rearranging my physical shelves since the beginning of the summer when I replaced my flooring. I do have two full shelves of unread books. You'd think I could find something there.

And thank you sooo much, Fran (aka BnB) for giving me another book for the tbr.

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments That happened to me after A Little Life. I found that delving in to a few crime fiction titles gave me some distance from the book and I could still move on, as much as I ever will from that book.

message 8: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6926 comments I agree, something fun, not great but something you can enjoy for other reasons even if not as much.

message 9: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5505 comments Jgrace wrote: "I do seem to be able to shift my books, both physical and virtual. I've been rearranging my physical shelves since the beginning of the summer when I replaced my flooring. I do have two full shelve..."

Always glad to help :)

message 10: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I vote for hair of the dog.

message 11: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2761 comments Denizen wrote: "I vote for hair of the dog."

I knew I could count on my friends.
And, hair of the dog is pretty much what I've done. I bought the audio for this one, but except for about an hour's worth of driving, I read my library book. So today, I've just listened to the whole thing from the beginning. I went to lunch with friends, but I just talked about the book.
This could be a problem, but it's such a good book.

message 12: by Jgrace (last edited Oct 12, 2016 09:19PM) (new)

Jgrace | 2761 comments Just one more word about my serious obsession with this book. If you read it this month, or at sometime in the future. Google the Hotel Metropol in Moscow. It looks exactly as I pictured it from Towles descriptions.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary B | 105 comments I'm so glad I'm the not the only one who suffers from this particular affliction. I'm reading the tips too because I am definitely having this problem.