Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
This topic is about This Savage Song
Previous BOMs - Authors; Q - T > This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab; Young Adult BOM, Start Date 2 November, 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 02, 2016 09:49AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30837 comments Mod

This topic is open for discussion of This Savage Song by Victoria SchwabBe prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis:

There’s no such thing as safe in a city at war, a city overrun with monsters. In this dark urban fantasy from author Victoria Schwab, a young woman and a young man must choose whether to become heroes or villains—and friends or enemies—with the future of their home at stake. The first of two books.

Kate Harker and August Flynn are the heirs to a divided city—a city where the violence has begun to breed actual monsters. All Kate wants is to be as ruthless as her father, who lets the monsters roam free and makes the humans pay for his protection. All August wants is to be human, as good-hearted as his own father, to play a bigger role in protecting the innocent—but he’s one of the monsters. One who can steal a soul with a simple strain of music. When the chance arises to keep an eye on Kate, who’s just been kicked out of her sixth boarding school and returned home, August jumps at it. But Kate discovers August’s secret, and after a failed assassination attempt the pair must flee for their lives.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 09, 2016 12:30PM) (new) - added it

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Kindle % PPQDs

2&3 Nov Prelude-Verse 1: 1-33% Chelsea
Monster, May I?

4&5 Nov Verse 2: 33-57% Karrie
Monster See, Monster Do

6 Nov BREAK DAY

7&8 Nov Verse 3: 57-80% Gav
Run Monster, Run

9&10 Nov Verse 4: - Elegy (end) 80%-end                Poonam
Face Your Monsters

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Breakdown posted above based on the Kindle version. For this reason, we have kept the breakdown to the blocks of "verses" in the book and each one will be two days of reading.

Chelsea (chelseafairless) | 174 comments I'm ready! :) Just finished reading the first section/verse. I can do DQs if needed.

Melike | 53 comments I just started this book and I am really liking it so far!!

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Chelsea wrote: "I'm ready! :) Just finished reading the first section/verse. I can do DQs if needed."

Great, thanks. I'll put you for the first day then :)

Chelsea (chelseafairless) | 174 comments Sonia wrote: "Great, thanks. I'll put you for the first day then :)"

Sounds good:)

Poonam | 175 comments I will be joining in on this one :))

Kay Kay | 1793 comments I will read this one. You can slot me for questions if you still need someone.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Karrie wrote: "I will read this one. You can slot me for questions if you still need someone."

Great Karrie, thanks!

I'll put you for second set: 4&5 Nov

Chelsea (chelseafairless) | 174 comments Nov 2&3 DQs
Prelude&Verse 1

1. Henry Flynn rules by trying to get rid of monsters and Callum Harker rules by making deals with them. Which method do you most agree with and why?

2. With the three levels of monsters- the Corsai, the Malchai, and the Sunai- do you believe that the Sunai really are "good" monsters who bring justice? Or are they only good because they choose to only feed on bad people?

3. If a Corsai is "born" by violence being done and a Malchai is "born" by a murder being committed, what level of crime do you think creates a Sunai- something so bad that only three exist?

4. Why do you think Callum Harker keeps Sloan so close? Just because Sloan is "his own Malchai" or another reason?

5. Do you think Kate will be able to please her father despite her dislike of his way of life? Do you think she should be true to herself instead of trying to please him?

6. What do you think about August's reluctance to "perform justice"? Do you think he should embrace his identity or continue to fight for better control?

7. How do you like Kate and August so far? Do you relate to one more than the other?

Gavin Abdollahi  (gavthereader) | 478 comments I'm in! If you still need someone, id be happy to do questions.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Gav wrote: "I'm in! If you still need someone, id be happy to do questions."

Cool. Thanks.

I'll put you up for third section, days 7&8 Nov, if that's okay.

Melike | 53 comments 1. Henry Flynn rules by trying to get rid of monsters and Callum Harker rules by making deals with them. Which method do you most agree with and why?

If I had to pick one I would pick Henry Flynn's method simply because I think Callum Harker seems like a monster himself, sleazy and very cruel.

2. With the three levels of monsters- the Corsai, the Malchai, and the Sunai- do you believe that the Sunai really are "good" monsters who bring justice? Or are they only good because they choose to only feed on bad people?

Sunai definitely seem to be the "better" monsters, at least they don't kill indiscriminately.

3. If a Corsai is "born" by violence being done and a Malchai is "born" by a murder being committed, what level of crime do you think creates a Sunai- something so bad that only three exist?

4. Why do you think Callum Harker keeps Sloan so close? Just because Sloan is "his own Malchai" or another reason?

I am not sure of this one.

5. Do you think Kate will be able to please her father despite her dislike of his way of life? Do you think she should be true to herself instead of trying to please him?

I think it is not possible to please him and she definitely is trying too hard, it is kind of sad but understandable at the same time how desperate she is for his love and approval. She needs to find herself for sure and give up trying to please him.

6. What do you think about August's reluctance to "perform justice"? Do you think he should embrace his identity or continue to fight for better control?

Both. He needs to eventually accept who he is and at the same time try to get control over his instincts.

7. How do you like Kate and August so far? Do you relate to one more than the other?

I think they are both interesting characters, but I like August more. He seems introspective, broody and more likable in general to me.

Kay Kay | 1793 comments Sounds good.

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Nov 02, 2016 04:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14257 comments Mod
Nov 2&3 DQs
Prelude&Verse 1

1. Henry Flynn rules by trying to get rid of monsters and Callum Harker rules by making deals with them. Which method do you most agree with and why?
I'm not sure I know if there is a right and wrong here. We don't know much about the different monsters and what they do and why. The scene with Harker in his basement shows that there may be more to the monsters than meets the eye.
Flynn only seems to have Sunai and has left the "bad" ones to Harker so I'm not sure that it really makes him someone that wants to get rid of monsters, he seems to just be leaving them to Harker to deal with.

I'm not sure they chose it, but just that is the way it works. It doesn't make them "good" but does make them more palatable I suppose

Well three that we know of. And also there was a mention of August killing 8 people when he was trying not to feed so I guess they can't always control themselves either.
It is an interesting concept

Maybe there is no choice? I'm sure there is some kind of truce between him and Sloan too. I feel like Sloan will lead a rebellion against Harker

Isn't she an interesting character! She is trying to become him which is quite disturbing, but is probably the only way to get his attention

I don't think he has a choice. If we decided we didn't want to eat any more, there comes a point you have to or die

I don't think I relate to either, but I find them fascinating. Especially her after the basement scene

Gavin Abdollahi  (gavthereader) | 478 comments Sure thing!

Gavin Abdollahi  (gavthereader) | 478 comments NOOOOO! I missed the deadline by five minutes! Why?!

Anyhow, time to answer the questions:

Chelsea (chelseafairless) | 79 commentsNov 2&3 DQs
Prelude&Verse 1

Well, I'd say that both have good ideas, but I personally like Flyyn more. Id give the other monsters besides the Sunai a chance, but so far they seem evil. So I'm go on destroying them instead of working with them.

Hmm... This is a tough one. Well, I'd say it's wrong, since I believe everyone deserves a chance at redemption.

The killing of an innocent person, maybe? Could be why they only target bad people.

Hmmm... Maybe it's because he's the first Malchai he recruited?

I'm hoping that she'll be true to herself... But honestly, I just can't say for sure.

Continue to fight.

I personally like August more. Kate is just too... Dark.

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1 comments Im new here...can i just join in answering the questions?

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel wrote: "Im new here...can i just join in answering the questions?"

sure can!

Poonam | 175 comments Nov 2&3 DQs
Prelude&Verse 1

I don't think controlling monsters will work out in the long run. I think Henry Flynn's solution of getting rid of the monsters will work out better!

Corsai and Malchai are definitely the bad one's based on what we know till date. I think I need more information on Sunai before deciding if they are really bad or not. I don't think I can term them good as such but they are definitely kind of a Pest Control in the monster world.

3. If a Corsai is "born" by violence being done and a Malchai is "born" by a murder being committed, what level of crime do you think creates a Sunai- something so bad that only three exist
Based on the circumstances in which August was found, my guess is a brutal murder of large number of people results in the existence of a Sunai.....

There have been obvious physical resemblance described between Callum and Sloan so it makes me wonder if there is more to it than just being "his own Malchai". I am very interested to know if it takes any other turn.

I think in the longer run she won't be able to keep her father happy, as she is 'trying' to be violent but is obviously not (her hands were shaking and she had a mini break-down after killing that Malchai). I think she is going to rebel against her father or maybe join forces with Flynn (because of August)... You never know...

. What do you think about August's reluctance to "perform justice"? Do you think he should embrace his identity or continue to fight for better control?
It is really ironic that August is trying to be more human when he is obviously not! I do find it endearing and even though he is a monster it makes him appear in a good light. I think he will have to get really brutal when the peace breaks and the actual war starts (atleast I am expecting that the peace would break and the war will start)

I like August, somehow I find him adorable (especially in that part with the cat). He is a really softie. I want to know more about Kate but for now she really comes of as a troubled teenager who is capable of violence.

Laurie | 586 comments Nov 2&3 DQs
Prelude&Verse 1

Based on what we know right now, I'd have to side with Flynn because Harker just seems sleazy and corrupt. He seems more concerned with profiting from the situation than trying to fix it. However, this isn't to say Flynn is perfect. A few things in the reading make me somewhat suspicious of his past. I don't think he's totally innocent either.

So far they seem to be good. But apparently they are still dangerous, since we know people died when August didn't feed in the past. Plus, any creature who thinks itself superior to humans and is fueled by a perceived righteousness, as Leo seems to be, could do great harm to humans in the name of some bigger plan. I could see Leo being willing to sacrifice a number of humans if it meant bringing an end to the problem at hand.

I actually know the answer to this, straight from the author, because I got behind-the-scenes info on this book when I was subscribed to Uppercase. But since the book hasn't really explained it yet, it feels like a bit of a minor spoiler. So, if you want to know...(view spoiler)

I think Kate is on to something by thinking Sloan manifested from her father after he committed murder. But I'm not sure why he wants to keep him so close.

I want to see her be true to herself, but her struggle to please him makes for a very interesting read. She is a complex character. I don't typically like reading bad/delinquent characters, but I like her because I don't think she really is that way at heart. That's why she comforts herself with the idea that there are thousands of parallel Kates out there who are happy. But look at her childhood - having her father say that his daughter doesn't cry when she's only, what, five years old and all hell is breaking loose? That kind of relationship is going to affect a person. I do hope she finds her true self before she goes too far in following Harker's footsteps.

I think he should embrace it. I'm glad he has a conscience about it - that makes him more human. But he is killing bad people, and if he doesn't, it seems like he ends up killing innocent people, so it seems simple to me. Feel bad about it, work on getting stronger, but do what you need to do.

I like them both. August is more likable on the surface, but I think Kate is too if you look a little deeper. I would almost say I like reading her chapters more, but I actually like reading from both of their perspectives.

Shane Saunders (Shane_Saunders88) | 2 comments 1. Henry Flynn rules by trying to get rid of monsters and Callum Harker rules by making deals with them. Which method do you most agree with and why?

- Both certainly have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I prefer Flynn's method. Eradication of the threat is a means to an end even if it means a lot of bloodshed in battle.

Bargaining (a la Harker) could certainly be a powerful ally later down the road but contracts were made to be broken and an alliance/agreement could go against Harker.

I think the Sunai are still monsters whatever way you look at it. They may have more of a moral compass but they still kill. It's hard to say how much control they really have especially if they haven't fed in a long time.

They appear to be prone to a lack of control in these instances.

I have a feeling that Harker keeps Sloan close because of sheer influence. Sloan may be a leader of the Malchai and Harker can use him to sway the Malchai to form an alliance with him.

I think Kate will please her father but at a cost to her own morals/true self. She seems desperate for recognition and burning down schools/killing Malchai/bullying people in school seems to be the only way she can do things.

You can tell though that she is really struggling with her demons and I have a feeling she has a few big choices to make down the line.

I like August's imbalance. Being asked to be human while at the same time being asked to perform inhumane acts is what makes his inner struggle so interesting.

He is going through an identity crisis and he is losing control of both sides of himself. I don't believe August ever had an identity to embrace other than one of tremendous struggle.

I like them both. They are extremely similar. Desperate to impress others without a thought for their own thoughts/consequences and struggling with their past and what it may mean for their futures.

Tania Nov 2&3 DQs
Prelude&Verse 1

At the moment, I think I agree with Flynn's methods more so than Harker's. He seems to be trying to do the right thing at least. He even seems to be trying to stem the creation of monsters, i.e stopping the acts of violence that create them, rather than just destroying them. Harker definitely has a harsher, almost mob boss, kind of character at the moment. However, I think there may be two sides and we haven't seen much of Flynn yet.

I'm a bit confused about this. Do they choose to only feed on good? I feel like there was a part that said the Sunai couldn't hurt those who were innocent or didn't have the dark, moving shadows, but then August mourns "innocent" lives that he took when he couldn't control his hunger. Maybe judgement on this is dependent upon how you define innocent?

I'm not sure if the Sunai are "good," but they definitely seem to be more capable of doing good, whereas the Corsai and Malchai seem pretty straight forward evil. I feel like this is a kind of angels vs demons thing going on.

The Sunai seem to be avenging angels (demons?) of sorts. Perhaps they come from an act that needs justice? The death of many innocents? Since August got his form and age because of the age of the children that were dead at the scene he was born in, perhaps they come from violence against youth.

Not sure yet, but I think it may be because Sloan knows something that Harker doesn't want others to know. Keep friends close and your enemies closer.

I really don't think that Kate can be satisfied with her current course of action. She will either lose herself trying to please her father, or never succeed in doing so. I don't think Kate is hardened enough to truly please her father.

I think he doesn't blindly follow orders or perform justice, and I think this is a good thing. He sees a grayer area, rather than black and white, good vs evil. This makes giving his form of justice a bit harder. Rather than trying to embrace or deny his identity, he needs to find his own path for coming to terms with who and what he is.

It took me a bit to get into either of their characters, but I think August resonates with me more. It may sound funny, but I think my point of connection with August happened after he couldn't leave the cat behind. I'm a cat owner and that just really struck home. It was also a very "human" reaction.

message 27: by Alice (last edited Nov 05, 2016 05:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alice McKnight (alicemcknight) | 17 comments 1. Henry Flynn rules by trying to get rid of monsters and Callum Harker rules by making deals with them. Which method do you most agree with and why?

I think on the surface most would want to side with Flynn. He governs his side of the town on a moral code. "Don't be bad, and I won't send my monsters to kill you". But really... it's not a very realistic approach. From what I'm seeing, Flynn is trying to get rid of all monsters, and I'm wondering about whether or not he is the type of person to turn on his own Sunai once he's accomplished that goal. If he accomplishes that goal. So far, I prefer Callum's. No, he's not a perfect man, but at least he doesn't try to hide behind the lies that he's a good person. He's straightforward (or at least I think he is). His monsters knew exactly what they were getting into and you don't really have to wonder at his intentions. He lets people feel safe, but he doesn't force them to stay. Every citizen of his side of Verity is there by choice and is paying him by choice. They could just as easily go over to the South side and join Flynn.

I agree with the second option. Good and bad are relative to different people. One person could say the Sunai are good for feeding on evil souls, but another could say they're evil for killing someone at all. Me personally, I think the Sunai that choose to at least try to side with the humans would be our definition of "good", but I'm not sure if they're acting in the best interest of their own race.

I think I'm going to hop on the bandwagon with this one and say a crime committed against a large number of people. Also interesting that August seemed to take on the general age appearance of the victim? I think that's what the book said anyways. Something to chew on, I suppose.

I would say either because Sloan is Callum's malchai and therefore a 'weakness' to keep a watchful eye on, or maybe even just because he really trusts him? A right hand man kind of guy. We know he's been around for a long time because he calls her Little Katherine. He may be a part of the mastermind plan (but I'm not sure, I mean Callum doesn't seem like the kind of guy to have a partner) or else something actually resembling a friend.

I think she's misguided in trying to please him. I really don't think Callum is disappointed in her? Sure, any parent would be proud to see their kid following in their footsteps, but I don't think Kate has to do that in order to please him. If he were truly disgusted by weakness, then I don't think he would have been with Alice. He feels a need to protect Kate, and she's just mad because she wants to prove herself. When really, she doesn't need to. She's come up with the whole idea that her father hates her in her head, the way teenagers do.

Having control over yourself is always good. I think he's conflicted at his family's sense of justice. From what I can tell so far he's possibly one of those people who think killing in general is bad, no matter who the victim is. Self-hatred is never a good route though. He needs to find a balance he's comfortable with, and therefore fight for more self-control.

I definitely relate to the way August's mind works. I'm amazed at the author's portrayal of his inner thoughts. I often find myself thinking in these fast paced circles, or getting absorbed in something enough to completely lose where I am. Feeling the need to fit in when you know there's no place for you is something I see the both of them struggling with. Hopefully they can make places for themselves together.

Kay Kay | 1793 comments My questions will be up by midnight!

Kay Kay | 1793 comments 1. Henry Flynn rules by trying to get rid of monsters and Callum Harker rules by making deals with them. Which method do you most agree with and why?
I'm not sure. Callum rules over them, and has the two lower types. Flynn has the highest type, but his half of the city seems much worse off. At this point I don't feel like I have enough information to say which method I agree with. I would be inclined to say that neither seems good.

It is a tough call. Is every crime a death sentence? The man that August fed on said he would kill again. Once again, these are tough issues. It's too soon to tell if there are good monsters.

I'm not sure. August doesn't seem to know either. The lack of information is starting to bother me. I hope some things get fleshed out soon.

Good question. It seems to me that Sloan is his servant.

I think that she is craving his approval. I can see why she does not want to be apart from her only parent. I don't know why he doesn't want her around. Does she remind him too much of his wife. He seems selfish to send her away.

Fight for better control of course.

I don't really like Kate so far, and I am confused about what exactly August is supposed to be.

message 30: by Kay Kay (last edited Nov 05, 2016 08:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay Kay | 1793 comments Questions
Part 2

8. Kate did as her teacher asked, and wound up in the counselor's office for being too violent. It seemed unfair to me. Then the counselor had the nerve to accuse her of causing problems and offered her pills! Was taking the pills a good idea?

9. For August people are in parts. He said that they had distinctive sounds. What sound would represent you?

10. Were you surprised by Kate's reaction be being told no? Was it just a glorified temper tantrum?

11. I was interested in the difference for August when he killed in a way that caused pain instead of using his magic. He was not satisfied when he fed and the cat could sense the "badness" in him. What did you think about that scene?

12. Ahhh so Callum says he sent her away for protection. Do you believe him?

13. The element of using music to fight is really cool. I think it is a fun creative twist. And enough of the back story has been revealed that I feel much less frustrated. How are you enjoying the story? Does it remind you of any other stories?

Gavin Abdollahi  (gavthereader) | 478 comments Karrie | 1665 comments Questions
Part 2

8. Kate did as her teacher asked, and wound up in the counselor's office for being too violent. It seemed unfair to me. Then the counselor had the nerve to accuse her of causing problems and offered her pills! Was taking the pills a good idea?

Probably, though I just hope she doesn't O.D. by the end of the story.

9. For August people are in parts. He said that they had distinctive sounds. What sound would represent you?

Loud and heavy.

10. Were you surprised by Kate's reaction be being told no? Was it just a glorified temper tantrum?

Yup.

11. I was interested in the difference for August when he killed in a way that caused pain instead of using his magic. He was not satisfied when he fed and the cat could sense the "badness" in him. What did you think about that scene?

I think that Leo was quite a jerk, evil, and possibly the worst role model ever.

Yup. Beneath all that tough (and evil) skin, I'd say that he really loves her.

13. The element of using music to fight is really cool. I think it is a fun creative twist. And enough of the back story has been revealed that I feel much less frustrated. How are you enjoying the story? Does it remind you of any other stories?

I'm enjoying quite well! I can't wait for the break day to finish.
Whenever I read this, I can't help thinking about the other book I'm reading, Shutter by Courtney Alameda.
Ya know, the heroine has a father problem, they fight monsters, etc.

Gavin Abdollahi  (gavthereader) | 478 comments HI, just wanted to ask, should I post the questions whenever I finish the book or after the reading time is up?

message 33: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Gav wrote: "HI, just wanted to ask, should I post the questions whenever I finish the book or after the reading time is up?"

For verse 3 which is your section we have that as being read over Nov 7 and 8, so if you could post your questions related to that section on either one of those dates that would be great :)
Oh, and if you can start your questions from number 14 (as the last section ended at number 13). Thanks!

message 34: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Comments & Questions
Part 2

She has such a reputation that I think this was inevietable. I was a bit surprised with the pills. Here you can only get pills from a Dr so that was a bit interesting!

I like this idea although I'm not sure of my sound. I think I would be subtle

She is trying so hard to get attention, so yes it is a bit of a tantrum :o

Leo is such an ass. I think it was unnecessary and kind of like he is trying to prove to August that he is a "monster".

No. I'm not sure his motivation yet, but I think he is an evil person

I like this too and I am enjoying it. I love the concepts Schwab comes up with, I just wish she would finish a series before starting a new one. That is really frustrating!!

Gavin Abdollahi  (gavthereader) | 478 comments Moderators of NBRC wrote: "Gav wrote: "HI, just wanted to ask, should I post the questions whenever I finish the book or after the reading time is up?"

For verse 3 which is your section we have that as being read over Nov 7..."

Thx!
Sure thing!

Poonam | 175 comments Questions
Part 2

I think the teacher thought too highly of himself when he did not know the actual defense moves. When challenged by Kate, he asks kate to do it and show to the class in order to put her down. But Kate need not have broken his collarbone. That was too harsh a way to teach him a lesson... I think taking the pills is dulling her senses which is never a good idea for the world they live in.

I have no idea as I can't imagine myself as any particular sound...

Kate I think did not expect a No and did go overboard in her reaction.

It just makes us realize that Sunai are powerful and can take life in two forms, with their music or in a more physical violent way. Music will give them more satisfaction and maybe keep them 'good' as they take good parts of the person they kill but physical violence may lead them to take the darker parts of the person they kill, making them dark themselves.

No, I don't! I don't like Callum very much and feel Kate should leave.

Somehow this reminds me of Twilight even though Kate is not like Bella, but the Monster and the girl with no powers getting together and how August will not kill unless to feed does remind me of Edward...

Poonam | 175 comments If there are no volunteers for Verse 4 DQ's, I will pick it up.

Chelsea (chelseafairless) | 174 comments Questions
Part 2

It seems like the pills are a one-size-fits-all type solution. They don't want to spend the time and resources to actually figure out what's best for each student, so they just give them all anti-depressants, etc. Lazy administration.

I'm not sure that's something we can decide for ourselves as it seems more like the sound version of what people think of you. I could make a guess based on my favorite songs, but I feel like someone else's interpretation might be more accurate.

It's been several days, so I'm having trouble remembering what this is referring to. But I generally think Kate overreacts to things, so probably.

I think that was very telling of the Sunai's powers. To me, it means that they are only "good" monsters if they choose to be because they are actually very capable of doing horrible things. Leo seems like he could easily become a villain. August is going to have some big decisions to make about himself.

Not really. There may be an element of protection in there, but he's certainly confident of his protecting abilities in the city, so it's definitely not the full story. I think she just reminds him too much of her mother and everything he's not.

Using music to fight is cool, but it seems ineffective against the Malchai- only a slight distraction. And yes, it's nice to start getting some answers. I'm looking forward to hearing more detail about Flynn's plans. And no, it doesn't really remind me of any other stories at the moment.

Kay Kay | 1793 comments Poonam wrote: "
Questions
Part 2

8. Kate did as her teacher asked, and wound up in the counselor's office for being too violent. It seemed unfair to me. Then the counselor had the nerve to accuse her of causi..."

I like your insight in number 11. I hope you are right. That would be a cool track for the author to take especially when developing August and Leo's characters.

Poonam | 175 comments Karrie wrote: "Poonam wrote: "
Questions
Part 2

8. Kate did as her teacher asked, and wound up in the counselor's office for being too violent. It seemed unfair to me. Then the counselor had the nerve to accus..."

I do hope the book tells us more on this..

Laurie | 586 comments Poonam wrote: "13...Does it remind you of any other stories? Somehow this reminds me of Twilight even though Kate is not like Bella, but the Monster and the girl with no powers getting together and how August will not kill unless to feed does remind me of Edward..."

I was also getting a Twilight vibe at the beginning - like how the Sunai can eat human food but it all tastes like ash - little descriptions like that.

Poonam | 175 comments Laurie wrote: "Poonam wrote: "13...Does it remind you of any other stories? Somehow this reminds me of Twilight even though Kate is not like Bella, but the Monster and the girl with no powers getting together and..."

And the way August fights his instincts again a bit similar to Edward...

Laurie | 586 comments Questions
Part 2

I agree the circumstances seemed a bit unfair, but she also took it too far. I think she could have made her point without breaking the man's collarbone. I thought it was kind of odd that the counselor could so easily hand out pills, like candy. That's not usually a good approach. But they did seem to help take the edge off a bit.

I'm not sure about this.

I was a bit surprised by her reaction because she generally seems quite conscious of the way people treat her just because she's a Harker, and I thought she found August's indifference refreshing. Plus, since she hasn't grown up in V-City, I wouldn't think she's necessarily used to getting her way just because of who she is. The people in the other towns she has lived in didn't seem to treat her differently. So her reaction wasn't totally convincing to me.

That has been one of the most intriguing scenes for me. I could empathize with his disgust and pain. And it really made me dislike Leo, where I was just cautious of him before. Leo derives satisfaction from torturing his kills, which says a lot about him. I really hated that he put August through that. But August's reaction made me connect with him even more. It also shows that the Sunai are capable of choosing between light and dark.

No. I have to imagine there's a part of him that cares for her, but I'm just not sure that's his priority.

I also am engaging more with the story now that more has been revealed. The ending of Verse 2 really makes me want to keep reading to see what happens to August. I'm also intrigued by the way he felt "full" after simply completing his music, without taking a soul. It seems there could be hope for him to live without taking lives if he chooses.

Melike | 53 comments 8. Kate did as her teacher asked, and wound up in the counselor's office for being too violent. It seemed unfair to me. Then the counselor had the nerve to accuse her of causing problems and offered her pills! Was taking the pills a good idea?

Taking pills was not a good idea at all, but sadly it is all too common.

not sure of this one...

oh yes, she loves to throw tantrums.

it was a great scene, I really like August so far...it depicted his inner torment well.

I don't believe anything that man says. He is such a creepy character!

I really love the book so far...

Gavin Abdollahi  (gavthereader) | 478 comments Finally! The break's over!

message 46: by Gavin (last edited Nov 06, 2016 10:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gavin Abdollahi  (gavthereader) | 478 comments Questions Part 3

14. Do you like the story more now that August and Kate are working together?

15. How do you feel about August and Kate becoming a couple? Is it even possible?

16. Now that we're about 80% through with the book, and we've learned quite a lot about Kate and August's past, who do you like better?

17. Who do you think actually sent the Malachai? Who would wanna spark another war? And why?

18. When Kate called Harker for the first time, and there was worry in his voice, do you think that it was genuine?

19. Do you think that August will go dark again? Or as he finally overcome his hunger for good?

20. Did the way the book described Kate's injuries and August's stitching her up, as well as all the descriptions of stabbing and violence so far, make you cringe?

21. Do you have any theories as to how this'll all end?

22. Just for fun, can you think up a nursery rhyme for the stages of going dark? (Anger, madness, sorrow, joy.)

Gavin Abdollahi  (gavthereader) | 478 comments Sorry it's not in bold, for some reason I just can't seem to change the font. I changed it when I typed it in Notes, but it just defaulted when I copied it here.

message 48: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

No problems Gav.

Fyi - Goodreads uses HTMl, so to make bold text, just type
< b >
Without any spaces between the < b and >
And then to turn bold off you type
< / b >
Without any spaces

:)

Gavin Abdollahi  (gavthereader) | 478 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "No problems Gav.

Fyi - Goodreads uses HTMl, so to make bold text, just type

Without any spaces between the
And then to turn bold off you type

Without any spaces

:)"

Thank you so much!

message 50: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Poonam wrote: "If there are no volunteers for Verse 4 DQ's, I will pick it up."

Thanks Poonam!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread