World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Facebook Frustration

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 685 comments So after hemming and hawing for months now I finally decided to stop swimming against the current and join up with Facebook to help promote my stuff.

I attempted to create an account this morning only to be told immediately after clicking sign up that my account has been disabled for security reasons. Needless to say this has been exceedingly frustrating as I can't fathom how any rules were broken when I've never even seen my page!

Has anyone else had this type of experience with simply trying to get an account?

And before anyone posts it...the confirm your account link was not the answer :(

message 2: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments Did you open an account in your real-life name or a pen name? If they suspect a pseudonym, they'll block it but how they could make a judgement call like that so quickly, I really don't know.

message 3: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 685 comments Jen wrote: "Did you open an account in your real-life name or a pen name? If they suspect a pseudonym, they'll block it but how they could make a judgement call like that so quickly, I really don't know."

Nope, used my real name. It's vexing is what it is!

message 4: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Elm | 145 comments Are you going straight to opening a PAGE (author page) ? I believe you have to open a regular profile account before you can go to a business page.

message 5: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 685 comments Joanna wrote: "Are you going straight to opening a PAGE (author page) ? I believe you have to open a regular profile account before you can go to a business page."

Thanks for the thought Joanna but it was the regular profile account; never got past it to attempt the author page :( I am at a loss.

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Joanna wrote: "Are you going straight to opening a PAGE (author page) ? I believe you have to open a regular profile account before you can go to a business page."

just off the top of my head:

did you turn off your browser from accept cookies by default? you might try using a private window. maybe try a different browser.

message 7: by M.L. (new)

M.L. You might try googling Why was my FB account disabled on setup - or some version of that question. I usually find something related when I've tried it.

message 8: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments You haven't even joined and they already feel insecure about you. Profiling probably -:)

It's some kind of glitch. I'm going through some strange stuff with twitter. Maybe try to open a profile from cell and then enter from comp, or diff browser indeed

message 9: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 685 comments I've managed to send their help desk a description of the problem (don't ask me how cause it wasn't easy!) so we'll see what they come back with.

It has to be a glitch; it can't be this hard to join the largest social media site lol

message 10: by Codex (new)

Codex Regius (codex_regius) | 26 comments Does your real name perhaps look like "Donald Trump"? Their filter might have thought it might be a fake account opened under the name of some celebrity.

message 11: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 685 comments Codex wrote: "Does your real name perhaps look like "Donald Trump"? Their filter might have thought it might be a fake account opened under the name of some celebrity."

Haha...no Eldon is my real name.

message 12: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 685 comments So after all this time I finally heard back from Facebook on what the issue is. You'll never believe this because I know I sure didn't.

They want to see my driver's license and 2 other pieces of photo ID (why photo I have no idea since they have no clue what I look like!) because they feel that I am impersonating Eldon Farrell. WTF? It's not like I tried to get an account under Stephen King or James Patterson??

Anyway, there is no way I'm giving them what they want and I don't have to. Here's the irony...they won't give me an account under my real name because they think I'm impersonating myself so I just got an account using a fake last name.

Ridiculous!!

message 13: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Comic stuff, if it weren't a personal unpleasant experience. But maybe they give you a celeb treatment being that protective of 'Eldon Farrell' brand

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Nik wrote: "Comic stuff, if it weren't a personal unpleasant experience. But maybe they give you a celeb treatment being that protective of 'Eldon Farrell' brand"

truly worthy of a monty python skit.