What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Book from the 1990s (?) - girl interacts on the frontier with Native Americans and others.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin McGuire | 4 comments I vaguely remember a book (or series of books?) that my fourth grade teacher read aloud to our class in the early 90s. It was set on the frontier and featured the following: Native Americans, a frontier girl, a character suffering from snow-blindness, the crossing of a (possibly?) frozen river, and a man trying to share his dreams with his dog by sleeping with a blanket over both of their heads. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin McGuire | 4 comments Thanks for the attempt. I'm afraid the search continues though...

message 4: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 214 comments Offering a few ideas:

The Children Who Stayed Alone by Bonnie Bess Worline

Addie's Dakota Winter by Laurie Lawlor

Prairie School by Lois Lenski

Snowbound In Hidden Valley by Holly Wilson

There's definitely snow-blindness and frozen rivers in a few of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, but you'd probably have remembered if it was that series.

Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat, but that has a male protag rather than female.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39848 comments Mod
Kevin, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin McGuire | 4 comments Still looking! Nothing has been correct!

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35706 comments Mod
Have you eliminated all the books suggested above?

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin McGuire | 4 comments Yes. The search continues.

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20163 comments Kevin, were the characters traveling, like on the Oregon Trail?

Or were they already settled someplace?

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20163 comments Does anything on the Children's Frontier Fiction list look familiar?