Kindle Scout discussion

Kindle scout campaign survivor!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by B. (new)

B. Fleetwood (bfleetwood) | 6 comments Hi there, my debut book: Chroma: Imogen's Secret was on KS during August / Sept but not selected for publication, despite a rip-roaring campaign. I had been about to self publish (2 years of trying to get an agent / publisher really gets you down) then heard about Kindle Scout, put the brakes on & entered the foray to see if I could 'win the golden ticket'. It was exhausting - 30+ days with little sleep & never off the computer / phone plus learning whole new marketing skills.
Now, despite not being selected, I am so glad I went down that road. I have learnt so much. I now have a webpage, FB page and fan base that I would not have had without KS, plus all my nominees will be notified when the book is published in a few weeks time. Yes it would have been fantastic to get the publishing deal but it has still given my book a kick start it would not have had.
It would be good to hear from those who self-published after the campaign as well as hearing how the winners have fared.
B Fleetwood

message 2: by Heddon (new)

Heddon | 15 comments B wrote: "Hi there, my debut book: Chroma: Imogen's Secret was on KS during August / Sept but not selected for publication, despite a rip-roaring campaign. I had been about to self publish (2 years of trying..."

Hi B, I didn't even realise until after I'd started the campaign that they notify nominators(?) if you go on to self-publish the book. I think that's brilliant. I was planning to publish Amongst Friends in January, to try and rum up a bit of interest beforehand, and as I always struggle in terms of finding time for marketing I thought I might as well give KS a go in the meantime. I've got 11 days to go, I fell off the Hot & Trending list days back, but have a small trickle of traffic every day. We'll see...
Good luck with Imogen's Secret, let us know when you are publishing it - will you put it on pre-order?
Kath

message 3: by B. (new)

B. Fleetwood (bfleetwood) | 6 comments Hi Kath
Hot & Trending isn't the bottom line, as I found out! (only out of it for 7 hours in the whole 30 days) think the sale-ability of your book will be a high factor as much as the writing / editing.
Are you on the kboards thread? It's worth getting a presence there even if you only have 11 days to go - what's the link and I will go and nominate your book..
I am hoping to go on the 90 day KDP deal which will mean pre-orders I think - I am very new to all of this and have been immensely grateful for the help from the folk on the KS thread Think this link will take you to it:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topi...
B

message 4: by Heddon (new)

Heddon | 15 comments Thanks very much! I have published c.30 books now; 2 mine and the rest for other people, in ebook and print formats so if you get stuck with anything please feel free to give me a shout! My campaign page is https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/Y849...

Thanks also for the nudge back to the Kboards page - I have been there, already posted by another helpful Goodreads member! But I've had my head stuck in paid work and lost touch a bit - proving my point that I am not up to the requirements of successfully marketing my book on my own :-)

message 5: by B. (new)

B. Fleetwood (bfleetwood) | 6 comments Will put nomination in when the other kboards players cleared - you are way ahead of the game compared to me - 30 published titles! Respect!

Good luck and hope all goes well for you

B

message 6: by Heddon (new)

Heddon | 15 comments 30 titles only 2 of which are mine! I edit and publish for other people - sorry, maybe not very clear about that :-) Thanks again, your support is very much appreciated,
Kath

message 7: by Author Horia (new)

Author Horia Stoian | 10 comments Hi everyone :) If anyone wants to help out and nominate / share the link to my Kindle Scout campaign, I would really appreciate it. My mystery-crime novel "Double Edged" is currently enrolled in a KS campaign :) Waiting for it to be over is... well... really "killing" me :)) that much I know for certain :)) I have one more week to go :) so, if you want to check it out and help me a little, here's the link to the campaign :) Any nominations would be of great help :)
Thank you guys!

The Kindle Scout Campaign Page: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1PM1...
Novel Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X2Fm...
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/DoubleEdgedN...

message 8: by Roy (new)

Roy (mplwdscribe) | 5 comments B wrote: "Hi there, my debut book: Chroma: Imogen's Secret was on KS during August / Sept but not selected for publication, despite a rip-roaring campaign. I had been about to self publish (2 years of trying..."

Best of luck with Chroma. I have a novel in the Scout contest that's near the end of its run - just 3 days left. I went in (after a period of time querying agents like you did) with a plan already set to self pub at Amazon afterward. If I end up getting a deal from Kindle Press and they pay me to pub the electronic version - all the better. Either way I'll retain rights to the print version and sell it primarily through Amazon. Matters of Convenience trended for a bit at the beginning of its run and maybe (fingers crossed) will end strong. Fairly quiet in between. Fortunately for my sanity I haven't tortured myself constantly checking the stats. If the numbers posted by Amazon are accurate then hundreds of people have been to its page over the past month. Hopefully that will lead to some sales when it pubs on 11/15 that I would not otherwise have gotten. I suppose I technically still have a shot at being selected for publication by KP but I'm not holding my breath. I saw it as a marketing opportunity from the get go and did what I could to draw eyeballs to it without going overboard. At least I don't believe I've gone overboard on the social media pages that I already maintained. Now that the end is near, and the next beginning is approaching, I'm curious to learn about the experiences of other Scout participants. That's what led me here.

For anybody interested, curious, or simply kind, the nomination page for Matters of Convience is: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/33R3...

Matters of Convenience by Roy L. Pickering Jr.
Matters of Convenience

message 9: by B. (new)

B. Fleetwood (bfleetwood) | 6 comments Hi Roy - just nominated your book and already had Horia's. Think it is really good you have a plan of action and are not banking on the KDP deal. Having said that you may be lucky!
I think the hardest part of not being selected is the thought that everyone will think your book is no good when the writing is clearly only part of the equation. It's what sells that I think drives KS and how much return they can get for how little outlay! Not daft...
Chroma is on the verge - getting the kindle conversion done so I can release both printed and digital books together.
Good luck
B

message 10: by Roy (new)

Roy (mplwdscribe) | 5 comments B wrote: "Hi Roy - just nominated your book and already had Horia's. Think it is really good you have a plan of action and are not banking on the KDP deal. Having said that you may be lucky!
I think the hard..."

Much obliged

message 11: by Heddon (new)

Heddon | 15 comments I am now on the last day of my campaign - I've been bobbing along but gone back onto the Hot & Trending list these last few days. I am also more than happy and prepared to self-publish Amongst Friends - and my first print proof has just turned up this morning! I think it needs a couple of tweaks but I'm really happy with it. I love my cover designer :-)
Good luck all of you, with Scout campaigns and book launches - we should keep each other up-to-date when books are released; I'm very happy to share tweets, FB posts, etc.

message 12: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 24 comments It appears it's not too gauche to ask fellow group members to nominate your book. So I'd appreciate it if you take a look at mine. If it sounds like an interesting concept, or you love the cover, them hit me with a nomination. Heck, maybe you'll end up with a free e-copy. If so, I'd love to hear what you think after you read it.

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1S9S...

Thanks.

message 13: by Kathy (last edited Oct 20, 2016 10:07AM) (new)

Kathy Golden | 127 comments Bruce wrote: "It appears it's not too gauche to ask fellow group members to nominate your book. So I'd appreciate it if you take a look at mine. If it sounds like an interesting concept, or you love the cover, t..."

Nominated! Much success to you. You have a great last name!

message 14: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 24 comments Kathy wrote: "Bruce wrote: "It appears it's not too gauche to ask fellow group members to nominate your book. So I'd appreciate it if you take a look at mine. If it sounds like an interesting concept, or you lov..."

That was quick. Thanks so much, Kathy.

message 15: by Viktoria (new)

Viktoria Faust | 2 comments Heddon wrote: "I am now on the last day of my campaign - I've been bobbing along but gone back onto the Hot & Trending list these last few days. I am also more than happy and prepared to self-publish Amongst Frie..."

Nominated :) Good luck!

message 16: by B. (new)

B. Fleetwood (bfleetwood) | 6 comments Roy wrote: "B wrote: "Hi Roy - just nominated your book and already had Horia's. Think it is really good you have a plan of action and are not banking on the KDP deal. Having said that you may be lucky!
I thin..."

Hi Roy - sorry your book was not selected. It is a very public rejection, isn't it? It took me a good week or two to get over it but 6 weeks on, I am very happy I took part and Chroma: Imogen's Secret should be published by the end of November. I am not racing into it and have done a few (relatively minor) edits on the book, improved the cover, got the printed copy ready to go - to coincide with the kindle version - joined some great indie author groups on FB (advice invaluable) and set up a launch team for advance reviews.
It is still quite full on but nowhere near the pressure of KS (well not yet anyway - may change my mind when publication date comes!)
You have 3 months to tell your nominators so plan you publication well - it could make all the difference to your book's success.
Good luck B

message 17: by Roy (new)

Roy (mplwdscribe) | 5 comments B wrote: "Roy wrote: "B wrote: "Hi Roy - just nominated your book and already had Horia's. Think it is really good you have a plan of action and are not banking on the KDP deal. Having said that you may be l..."

I'm MOSTLY over it already because my expectations were on the low side. From what I've seen KS tends to pick books that fall into particular genres rather than general/mainstream stuff. I knew that coming in. And I also expected that others with greater social media presence (i.e. tons of blog/fb/twitter followers) would be able to send more traffic to their nomination pages and thus trend much longer than I did. But I am nonetheless pleased that I did spend SOME time among the Hot & Trendy, and still hold out hope that once Matters of Convenience is published (still targeting 11/15) readers will make their way to it and hopefully some kind reviews will as well. We shall see. Finding indie author groups to shoot ideas off of sounds like a solid idea. And I need to look into creating a decent quality audio edition (now that I know I'm not giving audio rights to Amazon) at a reasonable cost. I hit up a number of book bloggers for advance reviews of MOC. A low % complied but c'est la vie. Finding bloggers willing to review indie pubbed titles takes some effort, and among those who are willing, a VERY high % tend to specialize in genre material. Had I written a YA or Romance or Paranomral book, no problem. General/Literary fiction reviewers willing to check out indie pubbed titles are few and far between. Either that or else I absolutely stink at searching for them. For that reason, since I review just about all of the books I read anyway, I'm going to start reviewing books by indie authors who like myself are looking for needles in haystacks. I don't promise to make anyone famous since I've been unable to do so for myself. But my philosophy is if you can't find the solution to a problem, when possible I should become part of the solution. Details can be found at http://lineaday.blogspot.com/2016/10/...

Good luck with Chroma!